close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bourne series: looking for something similar..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock!9, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Glock!9

Glock!9

Oct 5, 2001
    South Eastern PA
    Anyone know of any series with similar depth to the bourne series books? Seems most modern spy novels are shallow.
    any ideas?

2. MstrPara

MstrPara Go Loud.....

May 3, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Have you read any Stephen Hunter?

Not necessarily JBish, but really, really good. REALLY good

3. VA27

VA27

Mar 23, 2002
    usa
    Look for the Matt Helm series by Donald Hamilton. You may have to haunt your local library to find them. Donald Hamilton was also a gun writer and knew his stuff so you won't be grinding your teeth over 'mistakes'.

Don Pendelton's The Executioner series is a good read, as is Jerry Ahern's The Survivalist series. Another good one is The Destroyer series by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir.

There's enough reading there to keep you busy for quite a while!

Oops! I left out the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  4. Not a book, but "The Man from Nowhere" was South Korea's 2010 Movie of the Year and is a great super-assassin-turned-normal-guy-forced-to-use-training movie. It is subtitled, but if you don't mind that, this is a great flick to watch while you're researching books to read. :)

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    I just got into the Jack Reacher books, and have to say they're pretty good.

I've always been a fan of the John MacDonald series about "Travis McGee". Great series, 21 books in all. Lee Child's Jack Reacher is pretty close.

Lee does make several mistakes about gun related stuff, as long as you don't get too picky about some details, good reading.

If you go with the Jack Reacher books, try to read them in order. You can read one without reading all the others to enjoy it, but he does bring up past details that occurred in previous books occasionally.

6. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Vince Flynn and Brad Thor.

You're welcome.

7. par4buffett

par4buffett

Nov 4, 2012
    north Houston
    Those are all good authors. Also google:
    Daniel Silva
    Was D Baldacci named yet?

Joe Nobody (Holding Their Own series)
    James Wesly Rawles; The Patriot - (a novel of survival in the Coming Collapse), and sequels Survivors and Founders
    I like Aherns, The Survivalist series. I had to restock that on my shelves buying used copies after i dumbly got rid of mine in a swap.

8. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Dec 5, 2002
    Dallas TX
    I still have crush on the Canadian economist chick from the first Bourne book.

My guess is it'll be close to impossible to find character development and backdrop development - Black-Ops, Euro-banking, police etc. as Ludlum demonstrated during his prime. For a novel the first Bourne book is reasonably difficult reading.

ETA - I'm not sure Ludlum would make it now.

9. 2bgop

2bgop

Dec 5, 2006
    In the SEC
    This.

Vince Flynn has no equal.

10. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Dec 5, 2002
    Dallas TX
    I've never read a page from Flynn. Should I start from his chronological beginnings or is there a later title I should seek out. Thx.

11. Razorsharp

Razorsharp

Nov 17, 2004
    VATENNOLINA
    "Term Limits" is the first, and in my opinion, the best. But they are all good. I've just started the latest, "The Last Man".

And yes, they should be read in order, but it is not necessary.

12. casualoffender

casualoffender JAFO

Dec 1, 2012
    Carrollton, Tx.
    Google and Amazon both have easy to find lists of the Mitch Rapp books in order; I'm about half way through...

13. sum-dum-guy

sum-dum-guy

Feb 3, 2007
    Most of the other series I could think of from the top of my head were already mentioned

If you want something a little different, try the John Rain books by Barry Eisler. I thnk Rain Fall was the first. Very enjoyable series.

Not many authors are able to interweave the plot with the details and writing style of Ludlum.

14. Razorsharp

Razorsharp

Nov 17, 2004
    VATENNOLINA
    And in the same genre, Matthew Bracken's "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" trilogy is a good choice.

15. 2bgop

2bgop

Dec 5, 2006
    In the SEC
    I agree, read them in order. I just finished The Last Man while on vacation last week, it is by far my favorite series.

16. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK
    Kyle Mills has a series with FBI Agent Mark Beamon that I like.

17. SC Tiger

SC Tiger EL GATO!

Aug 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    I just started the first one of that series. Pretty good so far.

18. 2bgop

2bgop

Dec 5, 2006
    In the SEC
    Everyone's taste for writing style is different, but I can not for the life of me like Ludlum. I don't like Bourne and I really can't even make myself read the Covert-One series anymore.

He is one of the most successful authors in history, but I just don't like his books.

19. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK
    Also read Orson Scott Card's Empire.

20. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Dec 5, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Thank you.