close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bought my first rifle, M&P 15 Sport $569

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Ocean_glocker, Feb 4, 2012.

1. 9x94

9x94

Jul 24, 2011
    Tactical mall ninjas do like to justify dropping large amounts of cash to make sure their optic can be "trusted" when shooting paper and tin cans.
    I've gone to a few carbine classes with my dept issued budget rifle and chuckled at the guys with their $2,000 rifles and $1,200 optics who still couldn't shoot for crap.
    Skill and training beats the expensive toys any day.

2. Made Man

Made Man Glock-o-holic

Nov 1, 2004
    Eastern Kentucky
    Nice purchase on the Sport. I love mine, great rifle. S&W hit a BIG home run with this thing, I havn't heard on horror story on them yet. I got mine in Sept. '11, it's been flawless.

3. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    I have to agree, this belief that every part on an AR has to be "combat" tough (which is normally based on noting but opinion and price) to be acceptable for a civilian AR is often too much to stomach :)

I have no problem with buying what you want for your AR but some folks seem to push their preference too much IMO. I have a crap load of stuff that is not needed but I wanted on my ARs. :)

I think their are a number of good options on optics in the $200-$350 range.

And nothing wrong at all with iron sights on a AR.

4. redbrd

redbrd

Sep 20, 2005
    I have used Trificon, Aimpoints and Eotech (I like the Eotech more) but I will not put a sight on a gun if I can't use the irons. I can't tell you about the budget sights because I haven't used them, but I can speak to the durability of the ones I have mentioned.
    After just doing some window shopping it seems like several quality companies are making good scope for AR's, at more reasonable prices than the Eotech, Aimpoint and definetly the Trijicons.

5. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Yes exactly! I have a cheap $80 reflex sight on my M&P Sport that is accurate and I beat the B**** of and it is as durable as my ACOG that I have on my Colt. Some people just have money to burn on extra bling and need to spend big bucks to compensate for a lack of shooting skills.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  6. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    NONE TO DATE! I have mine for 3 months now and have fired a about 2,000 rds thru it with out a hitch. I don't just shoot at static targets , I run and gun with mine industy enviroments and have dropped it a few times. This AR is a durable and accurate as any AR I have ever owned or used in the past 25 years.

7. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Some people just prefer to put accessories on their gun that they KNOW will go to hell and back if needed. Aimpoint and ACOG will do that. Surefire will do that. That cheap $80 reflex might... or it might not.

8. USMCgs3

USMCgs3

Aug 10, 2011
    Why spend the money on optics when iron sights is all you will need for >500 yards

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    Older eyes :rofl:

10. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Here's an idea get a Vortex red dot- I have one on my PSA - good site and not alot of money. Gets good reviews from what I've seen. That of course after you learn how to shoot your irons! A buddy of mine has the Bushy optic and it eats batteries like crazy!:whistling:

11. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    Wish I could find one at that price. I have only found one in stock here, and they want $700.

Looks like from the photo that it came in a cardboard box. Is Smith not shipping these in the plastic case anymore?

12. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Well if it doesn't, that is why I have back up iron sights. I think too many folks are too dependant on optics. Their nice to have but "ANY" one can fail at anytime.

13. fowler

fowler

May 27, 2004
    ohio
    Cheap is ok with the MP-Sport its that good and as good as any , But cheap is bad in red dot optics that are not combat worthy. $400-$450 is about the least amount to get a reliable low end eotech or aimpoint combat worthy site. Check out the Aimpoints they have 5 year battery life!!

14. slickt0mmy

slickt0mmy

Jan 17, 2011
    Ohio
    $569 AND it came with Magpul flip up sights? You got a deal, my friend! :wavey:
    You're going to love it. They're fantastic little rifles.

And cyphertext, yes, they ship in cardboard boxes. At least mine did, and I've had it for a little less than a year. I wasn't aware they ever shipped in plastic.

15. USMCgs3

USMCgs3

Aug 10, 2011
    I like how everyone "must" be preparing for combat if they buy a ar15....

16. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    Agreed.

I'm a firearms enthusiast. I shoot at a range. I'm not an "operator". I'm an average citizen.

I buy firearms for recreation & fun, not in anticipation of sustained armed conflict on a regional or national geographic scale.

If "Red Dawn" ever happens, my only goal is to evade and escape the combat zone.

Buy whatever rifle you want, for whatever role you want it to fill, and equip it to the level you feel is appropriate enough to give you a warm fuzzy feeling when you sleep at night.

17. 22rtf2

22rtf2 Peaceful

Feb 24, 2009
    20 mins from Smyrna
    WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    Glad I am not the only one not gearing up for Red Dawn Part II :)

19. 22rtf2

22rtf2 Peaceful

Feb 24, 2009
    20 mins from Smyrna
    Just wait for the "you have to be prepared" mall ninjas.

20. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    Just got back from the range! I'm loving this rifle! Shooting lefty there was no concern with brass in the face. I shot decent group for indoor shooting (25yds). My wife actually enjoyed shooting zombie targets with it! Pic later.

In regards to optics, I'm sure at some point I will, but I'm in no rush. I'm a traditionalist I'm gonna shoot irons. All electronics fail at one time or another for many reasons, so I'm gonna get proficient with the irons.

I wouldn't consider myself a 'Mall Ninja' or 'Coach Commando', just an enthusiast. and if SHTF God forbid, I'm gonna grab my shotgun... maybe my wife would take the AR :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012