close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bought my first rifle, M&P 15 Sport $569

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Ocean_glocker, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    I finally pulled the trigger on my AR purchase. I have been going back and forth between a few: M&P, Stag (lefty), Bushy Carbon 15. But when a Local dealer posted on another forum that they had a few M&P sports for $570, I had to jump on it.

I'm looking forward to shooting it tomorrow...

[​IMG]

2. 22rtf2

22rtf2 Peaceful

Feb 24, 2009
    20 mins from Smyrna
    Love it!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. Good for you! Now, go out and shoot the hell out of it. :wavey:

4. fowler

fowler

May 27, 2004
    ohio
    Good value leaves room for good site like aimpoint for another 4-5 hundred dollars. Or eotech in same price range. You need to spend that much for a good site to insure reliable performance under combat conditions. As a rule of thumb spend as much for optic as rifle to get some thing you can bet your life on. I prefer the aimpoint with there 5 year battery life over eotech which get about 6months to a year on a battery. Cheap optics are a joke.

5. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    Fowler, I appreciate the advice! What your take on Bushnell? I can get very good pricing on those...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  6. You're quite correct, but I'd like to add that a high dollar optic isn't necessarily a must depending on what you're doing with your rifle. Aimpoints and Eotechs are awesome, but not everyone needs one for a range or HD rifle. I agree that most cheap optics are a joke, but my experience with Primary Arms has been exception.

7. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    Try shooting with the stock irons for a little while, then decide on an optic. Once you can shoot well using irons, shooting with a dot becomes a convenience not a must.

8. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Absolutely this.

9. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Congrats on your purchase! That price is awesome. I paid $610 OTD for my Sport. The rifle shoots b***s accurate right out of the box.:supergrin:

10. Bimmer1

Bimmer1

May 27, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Does anyone own both a high end AR and a M&P 15 Sport? I was wondering what most of you think about the long-term durability of the M&P 15 Sport compared to AR's that cost $1,000 and above. Do you see any trouble spots on the Sport that concern you about longevity for average shooting?

11. phil evans

phil evans

May 26, 2006
    austin tx
    great price, thats a $100 less than i paid.

12. Congrats on your new M&P15!

13. The Pirate

The Pirate HARRRRR!!!

Nov 7, 2006
    Walltown, KY
    Good choice!

14. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    Nope. Longevity is covered by S&W's lifetime warranty (for the original owner).

My primary use for my 15-Sport is for range fun. I'm just an average citizen putting it to average use in an average environment. :supergrin:

15. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    Hopefully I'll be able to provide an answer this spring. One of these is what I'm thinking of getting in a month or so.

16. 9x94

9x94

Jul 24, 2011
    In reality, unless you are military or LEO you are buying this gun for fun, and the one in a million chance you actually need it. Your gun will serve you well in that role. Do not hesitate in buying a budget "knock-off" red dot if you wish. Don't be influenced by people who insist you need a $500 optic on your $500 rifle.
    Enjoy!

17. phil evans

phil evans

May 26, 2006
    austin tx
    my S&W M&P 15 sport Safety and Information Manual on p.37 says one year warranted for defects in material and workmanship. there is a lifetime service policy("repair without charge") that begins after the one year warranty(i.e. - probably no call tag).

18. fowler

fowler

May 27, 2004
    ohio
    Yes buy a cheap knock off Chinese reddot and it will fail. Buy a good entry level,(eotech-Aimpoint) price one for $400-500 it will last and can be trusted. A high end optic is near a $1000 on the low end and $1400 up for a Trijicon. $400-$500 will get you a reliable site. Anything less is garbage and not to be trusted. The SW Sport is as good and reliable as any AR system that its based on.