close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bought a Lower, Now I Need An Upper

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Pete7072, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Pete7072

Pete7072
    Expand Collapse

I did a little shopping for myself over the past couple of days... I purchased a complete Gen II New Frontier lower, for plinking and range fun. I also bought a stripped Palmetto lower to do a little more serious build on. Anyway.. Looking for an upper. Found a couple of websites with cheap uppers ( oracles and Del-Ton ). MY experience with AR-15s have been in LE/Military only, what they gave us, we used. Now, going out and spending $600 + on an upper right now is not really an option. Looking for a good, reliable upper. Any Tips ?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver
    Expand Collapse
    Boat Life ©

I would not own a Del-Ton; never heard of Oracle. Just goin' off what I've heard/read.

Then again, I'm considred somewhat of a wildcard, sometimes...

I'm sure the BCM crowd will be in soon enough to chime in. :whistling:

3. Cole125

Cole125
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Save up and get a BCM upper, and thank me later.

4. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG
    Expand Collapse
    Milspectacular

Seems like they have heard of "the chart.":upeyes:

5. USMCsilver

USMCsilver
    Expand Collapse
    Boat Life ©

Thanks for the rollyeyes, smartass.

I wasn't aware of the upgrades. (Yet I've yet to read raving reviews.)

An education is nice. A smartass post is not. Implied sarcasm can be fun, too; that one, I don't mind.

6. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG
    Expand Collapse
    Milspectacular

Neither is a post inspired by ignorance and second hand information.

7. USMCsilver

USMCsilver
    Expand Collapse
    Boat Life ©

Will you show me a picture of YOUR Del-Ton upper along with a butter knife and a roll of toilet paper? Or, if you get the newspaper, I reckon a picture of it will suffice, too.

I wanna see a nice, recent build to demonstrate your first-hand experience. :whistling:

8. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

Oracle is DPMS. I would put DelTon in the same class as the Oracle.

I wouldn't mess w/ either although I've heard DPMS is good for 19 flawless rounds into the dirt. That does have some merit. Very intriguing indeed.

9. USMCsilver

USMCsilver
    Expand Collapse
    Boat Life ©

LOL. I like trading jabs.

FWIW, the upper I have seems to be an older DPMS; not too sure how perceived quality may have lessened/gained over the years...

I'm looking VERY FORWARD to shooting it more (and at targets) so I can prove a point.

Oh...funny thing is -- I just looked: I own an upper made by BCM. Reckon I can consider myself one of the cool kids, now. Funny thing is -- nothing about it has ever made me post raving reviews. Go figure.

#9 USMCsilver, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  10. Pete7072

Pete7072
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I was going to try to stay away from DPMS and Del-ton.... Just looking more for a price worthy decent upper. If I wanted to spend $1000 + I would've bought an entire rifle.

11. Pete7072

Pete7072
    Expand Collapse

Was considering Palmetto State Armory uppers.I've seen are good, but the one's I've seen are stripped barreled receivers, kind of defeats the point.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

I don't like trading jabs as you put it. I like leaving behind good factual information so others can be better informed.

What does name have to do w/ anything?

I know, my BCMs are kinda boring as well. So solid they are boring. But then again I'd start an entire thread to praise my DPMS for completing 19 rounds flawlessly.

If it works for you, great. Inexpensive is fun no doubt. But starting a thread to praise your 19 round DPMS while trying to slander a well trusted name like BCM says a lot about you.

Nothing personal but why is it that the most knowledgeable guy has under 1k posts yet the guys putting out the most BS are in the tens of thousands?

#12 mjkeat, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  13. USMCsilver

USMCsilver
    Expand Collapse
    Boat Life ©

Oh...how I love to prove people wrong. Mind if I bring this thread up in a year from now?

Ignorance really is bliss, isn't it?

Dude, I've probably been shooting/owning/building ARs/M16s since your pre-pubescent stage of life.

And, thanks for the quote. It'll make me even more viable in the upcoming months.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

Dude, time behind the trigger means nothing nor does ownership. And as far as building ARs/M16s I would be willing to bet my house you have never built either. Maybe assembled but never build a complete AR/M16. Ooops. I guess it really is bliss. Isn't it?

15. USMCsilver

USMCsilver
    Expand Collapse
    Boat Life ©

Oh...Dear...Lord...

You are one of those, aren't you?

Sorry, I have not built M16s, I have shot more than I care to lay claim to. I have owned nearly 2 dozen rifles, and have assembled nearly 1/2 that. I don't care to get in a pissing contest here. I state my findings and nothing else; I simply stated I was impressed a rifle worked with a cheap upper and a BCG that would barely move if manipulated by hand... That was all. And here you are, being a total jackass, and blowing it all out of proportion.

I love fanboys. They make such easy targets.

(Ooooh -- that sounded excellent. Maybe I should turn that into a new sig line and reference you?)

16. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

Fanboy? I'm curious as to how you came to that assumption not knowing a thing other than I own 2 BCM's. You have no idea of what other ARs I own or have owned.

By "one of those" do you mean I'm factual?

I'm not being anything. I simply stated fact. It just so happens that the facts undermine your claim to fame. Time of ownership and rounds down range mean nothing. I am quite familiar w/ this as I'm faced w/ it weekly if not daily.

Nothing personal, lets just keep things on track and factual.

17. bmoore

bmoore
    Expand Collapse

OP- there are a few guys at work that have Del-ton rifles, they bought the entire kit. They seem to fine for what the guys use them for (shooting 80 rounds 3 times a year). I am not saying that in an A hole way.

Here is the issue/something to think about. The price point is just not that much of a difference to justify it, you get a lot more for your money jumping to BCM. I say BCM because it is the brand that you probably get the absolute most for your money. Trust me, I struggled with this concept too. If you came up on a used Delton or DPMS for a bargain then yeah jump on it. But if I am shelling out 5 bills for a Delton or DPMS complete upper why not just spend 100 more dollars and get a standard BCM upper with a BCM bolt carrier group?

18. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG
    Expand Collapse
    Milspectacular

ETA2: Just noticed the butterknife and toilet paper line.What I have already on photobucket will suffice.
    No problem.
    [​IMG]
    Delton 7.62x39mm CMV Barrel assembly and upper receiver. SI Defense 7.62x39mm bolt. Osprey Defense Piston kit. Bushmaster 6.8SPC lower. DSA "milspec diameter" receiver extension. Magpul MOE stock. Aimpoint T-1/ADM mount. AAC 51T Blackout and 762-SD suppressor. ETA: I assembled the entire upper from separate parts myself.

I have not had one FTE despite shooting Wolf, Yugo Surplus and Winchester brass. I have had FTF before filing feedramp extensions on the rifle receiver and tuning C-Products and ASC magazines.

#18 LA_357SIG, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  19. Pete7072

Pete7072
    Expand Collapse

Alright, after reading through that "DOGS" thread, I want to stay a little on track here. I realize that this is definitely an open ended question....The truth is, I've had FTF's and jams on Colt LE M4s after 500 to 600 rounds. Would you put your life on it ? I have before... just looking for decent reliability, and if there's some products that are affordable and people with experience. Want to keep in the $500-$600 range on a complete AR.

20. bmoore

bmoore
    Expand Collapse

I am confused. You bought 2 lowers, one of which is complete and the other is stripped. And your looking for a complete rifle for 500-600 bucks? Whats your plan with the lowers?