close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bought 870 Express Tactical Today ?s

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by hsprincipal, Jan 27, 2013.

1. hsprincipal

hsprincipal
    Expand Collapse

Got a Magpul forend as well. What other accessories should I get? This is going to be a beater gun. That's why I got the Express, but I would like to upgrade sight and a few other things. Suggestions welcome...

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

The only forearm I would buy is a Surefire.

Depending on the use you intend for it maybe a side saddle. I personally dont like side saddles on hunting guns or HD guns as they change the balance and make carrying it more difficult.

On my duty shotgun I have a side saddle, sling, and a Surefire fore end. The only accessories needed on a good shotgun. I have considered an oversized safety, but haven't gotten around to trying one.

3. hsprincipal

hsprincipal
    Expand Collapse

What are your opinions on changing the buttstock?

4. pesty3782

pesty3782
    Expand Collapse

Been using an 870 at work for over 27 years...own 2 and they both have sidesaddles, two point sling, extended mag tube, magpul stock, houge forend, and the vang comp round top large safety....just picked up a 1100 tac 4 and adding the same safety....

Keep it simple.....

#4 pesty3782, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  5. SCSU74

SCSU74
    Expand Collapse
    St. Cloud Proud

I have a speedfeed iv pistol grip stock, shotgun cards for extra rounds (similar to side saddle), bang comp big safety, upgraded mim express parts for the 870P parts, light mount/surefire light, and 1 pt sling on my work gun. Up to you how crazy you go, really depends on use.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. w30olds

w30olds
    Expand Collapse

7. Nutt51

Nutt51
    Expand Collapse

Bead front sight is all that you need for SD.

If you want to shoot slugs, you can get a barrel with sights.

I put a Wilson 2 shot extension without the sling mount on
    mine and that's all I need.

If you want a tactical shotgun, and add parts, go to
    aippi's website and read about shotguns.

8. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy
    Expand Collapse

If you plan on using it for defensive use, I recommend a light.

[​IMG]

9. hsprincipal

hsprincipal
    Expand Collapse

Thanks... I do use it for HD... Do you have a recommendation for a light? BTW great videos... Keep up the good work....

10. up1911fan

up1911fan
    Expand Collapse

I have the same model 870. I've added the heavier carrier dog spring, non MIM extractor, Vang safety and a Hogue 12" LOP stock. An XS bead and light are next.

11. glockman99

glockman99
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Here is my Rem. 870 12-gauge Express Super Magnum:

[​IMG]

Knoxx/Blackhawk adjustable pistol-grip stock (with Pachmayr slip-on grip on pistol grip), Hogue rubber forearm, 18.5" barrel, +2 magazine extention with clamp, Hi-Viz Flame Green front sight, 6-shot receiver mount ammo carrier, "tactical follower", Wolff extra power magazine spring (tuned), Mesa receiver mount hook loop for 1-point sling, trigger job...

#11 glockman99, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  12. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan
    Expand Collapse

I put the Remington "Youth" model stock on mine. I like a 13in LOP on a pump gun.

13. glockman99

glockman99
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

This why I went with the adjustable length Knoxx/Blackhawk stock for my 870...I also like a shorter stock than "normal", as it's quicker to "shoulder" without getting hung-up on my shirt and/or jacket.

14. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan
    Expand Collapse

I had one of those from before they sold the company to Blackhawk. I liked it but that particular shotgun had issues. I never did get it sorted. Even Remington couldn't figure it out.

I ended up tearing the furniture off and selling it to a buddy and selling the action to a gunsmith buddy who eventually tore it completely down and rebuilt it and it worked fine.

I'm one of those rare individuals who's almost completely indifferent to recoil up to a point. I've shot a few big bore African style big game rifles that I'd not care to shoot again. They were custom affairs that were built to be light but still take down a 2000+lb animal with one shot.

But a shotty doesn't bother me at all, even my Benelli M2 which kicks pretty hard being as light as it is. My buddy Doug who's a Capt. in the Airforce so no stranger to guns will only shoot a few rounds through the Benelli.

So basically, the recoil eating utility of the Knoxx stock were lost on me but the design is pretty cool. I want to do another Remington with a folding setup for the car. I'll most likely do the Mesa extension and an ACE folder attached to it.

15. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot
    Expand Collapse

Excellent advice...

Mine has a Choate pistol grip stock, Choate for-end with Surefire light, side saddle, Remington oversize safety and Breaching choke tube, a Ext mag tube and Rem choked (threaded barrel) rifle site barrel. These sites are steel and durable offering a excellent sight picture and durable sites.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    CW

#15 Cwlongshot, Feb 14, 2013
  16. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy
    Expand Collapse

The HSP WML is what I have on there now and I really like it in that position. Very instinctive to activate. I've also used a Streamlight ProTac HL on it before and it's worked very well. It's bright as hell (600 lumens) but the battery life is obviously shortened...

17. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26
    Expand Collapse

On the other hand a side saddle adds some recoil taming weight, and you don't have to carry an HD gun around far or long, like you do with a patrol gun. Grab the gun with a sidesaddle in an emergency and you have your reloads with you.

I also find reloading (be it the chamber or the tube), easier from a side saddle than from a stock mounted shell holder or Speedfeed.

A sling is still a good idea on an HD gun to free at least one hand for opening doors, holding on to children and other emergency tasks.

#17 SouthpawG26, Feb 14, 2013
  18. glockman99

glockman99
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

The Knoxx/Blackhawk stock that I have doesn't have that pesky recoil-reduction system...I don't want the whole damn shotgun moving backwards into the stock as I fire it.

19. 1canvas

1canvas
    Expand Collapse

I put a four round SS on mine and really like it. it doesn't mess with the feel of the gun much. I have a +3 [I think] extended mag tube that make the front feel heavy so I don't care for it. it goes about an inch past my barrel. I think a +1 or 2 would feel better.

#19 1canvas, Feb 14, 2013
  20. vettely

vettely
    Expand Collapse

Just put the Magpul on mine and like it. Very nice stock.