close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Book Review: Into the Kill Zone - A Cop's Eye View of Deadly Force

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by racer88, Jul 28, 2012.

1. racer88

racer88
    Expand Collapse
    NRA & SAF mbr

I couldn't figure out which sub-forum was best to post this. So, I picked the "Carry Issues" section. Mods feel free to move it where appropriate.

I don't recall where I heard about this book. I downloaded it to my Kindle and finally got done reading it. At 304 pages, it's a bit longish.

In a nutshell, it's about how LEOs deal with using deadly force. The author does a nice job examining many stories (told by LEOs) from various perspectives including:
    • Training
    • When they didn't shoot.
    • When they did shoot.
    • Aftermath
    • How it affected their families and friends.

And, so on.

The stories are told by the officers who lived them.

It was interesting to read the various perspectives of multiple officers involved in the same shooting, too. Some were very detailed. And, in many cases, the perspectives (of the same shooting) were very different.

How the officers were affected in the aftermath also varied from nearly no effect to devastating.

Most of us on these forums can only speculate how we'd react in SHTF scenarios. We can train both physically and mentally. Certainly, most of us have not been involved in the use of lethal force. And few of us have had the opportunity to hear lethal force stories from those who have experience. This book is a collection of many lethal force stories.

The book also humanizes LEOs. They're really no different than us... a spectrum of personalities, values, and backgrounds. Their reactions to lethal force situations - before, during, and after - naturally mirror the values, morals, and priorities of any "civilian."

I found this book to be an eye-opening read. I did not find it to be a "page-turning, can't-put-it-down" book. But, during my daughter's horseback riding lessons and my son's hockey practices, I was able to get through the whole book without losing interest. I believe many here would find it equally compelling.

Here's a link to it on Amazon:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0787973750/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0787973750&linkCode=as2&tag=reupmyma-20"]Amazon.com: Into the Kill Zone: A Cop's Eye View of Deadly Force (9780787973759): David Klinger: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rPMOtTHsL.@@AMEPARAM@@51rPMOtTHsL[/ame]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. JW1178

JW1178
    Expand Collapse

Good review.

3. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

Considering that LEOs have no duty to protect :whistling:... they sure interject themselves into a lot of situations and getting themselves seriously hurt or permanently dead just to protect me, my family and my neighbors.

Thanks, you guys and gals in blue! :wavey:

And thanks for the link. I gotta get this book and read it.

#3 Patchman, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  4. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

It is appropriate here for a variety of reasons.

Thanks for posting the review...

5. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

If you liked that one, try Force Under Pressure: How Cops Live and Why They Die [Paperback] Laurence Blum (Author) .

I've listened to this doctor's 1-day class, I'm Shot, a couple of times. Each time he presents a handful of cops as guest speakers, cops who have survived shooting incidents during which they were shot and seriously wounded, but continued to fight and finally prevailed over their armed attacker.

#5 fastbolt, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  6. wprebeck

wprebeck
    Expand Collapse
    Got quacks?

My wife and I both decided - if the bad guy shoots, we ain't dying until after he does. Barring a significant CNS hit initially, I'll fight until my body stops...but it won't be because I gave in. It'll be because I ran outta blood.

7. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

Good for you

;)

8. wprebeck

wprebeck
    Expand Collapse
    Got quacks?

We've got kids to raise, and see the grandkids we'll one day play with. Getting killed by a ******bad doesn't factor in to those plans - and if that happens, at least the kids won't have to worry about a trial for the assbag. He'll be dead, too.