close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bonded vs non-bonded bullets?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by cowboy1964, Oct 16, 2010.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I picked up some Ranger 127+P+ to try. The performance of this through auto glass (from Winchester's data) is 58% weight retention, 9" penetration. In fact most of the non-bonded versions do not do too well. Aren't bonded bullets a smarter choice these days? Do non-bonded bullets offer any advantage in non-barrier shootings? From all the data I've seen bonded ones tend to give just a little more penetration in almost all tests, and superior weight retention (sometimes drastically superior) in barrier tests.

What would you say the break down in % is of agencies using bonded vs non-bonded?

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Cowboy, there's no data repository that keeps track of all ammo issued by all LE agencies, but the dominance of Gold Dot alone shows that the bonded bullet is extremely popular in that sector.

The bonded projectile's primary advantage seems to be in barrier penetration, which is quite frequently needed in law enforcement situations and rather rarely needed in typical armed citizen scenarios. Different "patterns of engagement" and all.

best,
    Mas

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I shot some Ranger +P+ side by side with Gold Dot 124+P from a Glock 19 first and then a Sig P229. Little, if any, difference in recoil in either pistol. Has that been your experience with those rounds as well?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  4. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    I for one can't tell the difference from the shooter's end.