Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Bolt Carrier Cleaning Tool????

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by NEO Hunter, May 1, 2013.

1. NEO Hunter

NEO Hunter

Mar 19, 2012
    I am getting ready to order some more cleaning supplies and someone recommended getting a Bolt Carrier cleaning tool which cleans the carbon off the bolt carrier, bolt, and firing pin. I was recommended the Otis B.O.N.E. tool or the C.A.T. M4 tool. Has anyone had any experience with them and more importantly are they really needed. I typically use and have had good success with Otis cleaning supplies with my other firearms. Thanks for the help.
  2. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    Only tool I use is Slip 2000 725 cleaner, paper towels and a toothbrush, re-lube with EWL
    Last edited: May 1, 2013

3. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Sounds almost identical to my yearly cleaning method.
  4. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida

OP, I have heard good things about the CAT tool, but it was mostly designed for expedient field cleaning for combat troops. As I remember, it was the result of several instances in a row of doing a job, coming back to the FOB for just long enough to eat and grab more ammo, then heading back out. If you're sitting at home cleaning your rifle, it might be nice to have, but not 100% needed.

Also, if your AR is built to spec (or better) you might be shocked how filthy they can get and keep running like clockwork, so long as you keep it lubed.
  5. TunaFisherman

TunaFisherman Halibut Hunter

Dec 10, 2009
    West of the East coast
    I run mine WET. I dont clean it that much. Just keep it lubed. Most problems I have are mag or ammo related. There is no need to keep ARs spotless, unless your in combat.
    I do have a CAT tool. It works good
  6. humanguerrilla

Jul 25, 2006
    the woods
  7. fx77

fx77 CLM

Nov 23, 2008
    Like to just throw the bc and its parts in an US bath 10 min 40 deg. C
    No C left...
  8. samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    I still don't understand what ya'll are cleaning.

If ya'll are talking about the carbon on the bolt tail, then stop cleaning it.

I don't think that has been a problem anywhere, ever.

My last upper went a little over 10K and I never cleaned the carbon off the bolt. And the bolt was doing fine when I sold the upper. Hell the whole upper was doing fine and it never got cleaned with anything more than a blue paper shop towel.
  9. NEO Hunter

NEO Hunter

Mar 19, 2012
    Thanks for the responses I didn't think it was needed either, just didn't want to miss something and have issues since I am new to the AR platform. I have never needed a tool cleaning build up on muzzleloaders and I can't imagine the AR getting any dirtier than they do. I will wait to see if I have any issues and look into it later if needed. Thanks again.
  10. Mrgunsngear just did a good review of the CAT that will show you how it works. You'll at least be able to see what it was intended for.

11. I use the CAT tool. I usually see a lot of carbon build up on the tail of the bolt and the inside of the carrier. The CAT tool works great in removing built up carbon.

The previous video show you how to use it.