close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bolt action .410

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Berto, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

Another possible gem beckoned at the local haunt, a Stevens 59B .410 bolt action shotgun.
    I have absolutely no use for something like this, but it's cheap ($100), has a nifty tube magazine and nondescript hardwood stock. It might be fun for shooting slugs or one of them newer 4 or 5 ball 000 loads from federal.
    I'm not sure what choking it has, if any, but it might be fun to shorten a bit and put sights on it....basically a fun little project gun.
    Worth it?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

Why not? I have a Mossberg bolt action .410 from when I was a kid, but it had a box magazine. Sounds like a fun project to work on.

3. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

I'd go for it, I mean why not?

4. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily
    Expand Collapse

I grew up shooting my Dad's Springfield .410 bolt action. Shot a lot of quail, grouse, squirrels and rabbits with that gun!

Made me tough too - thing was so damn heavy that it should have had a gun carriage under it...

5. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

I plan to buy it once I have the extra cash.
    Long term, I think I will shorten the barrel, refinish the stock and maybe add some sights to replace the bead.
    I have this weird affection for 'unloved' guns like bolt shotguns and .410, no less.:supergrin:

#5 Berto, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  6. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

It probably has a full choke in it, shortening the barrel will remove all choke. With the light payload of the .410 the pattern will be very sparse.

I would not shorten the barrel on it, unless you want to use it only for slugs.

Marlin made a version of their model 55 bolt action shotgun with a 20" barrel and a poly choke on it. I was given a 20 ga Model 55 a couple years ago, I've been toying with the idea of making a 20 ga swamp gun out of it. The poly choke would make it useful.

7. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

For $100, go for it. :cool:

8. TN.Frank

TN.Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Glock4Life

I love bolt action shotguns. I had a Mossberg 16ga one year when dove season came around. We were hunting over a mellow patch and I saw two birds coming in over the patch, I actually got both by working the bolt from the shoulder. It was the coolest thing. They're normally cheaper then even a single shot goes for today and you have 3 rounds(in most) at your finger tips. Just learn to work the bolt from the shoulder(read an excerpt in Guns and Ammo many years ago about working a bolt rifle from the shoulder for dangerous game in Africa and it stuck with me) and you'll be as fast as most guys with a pump gun.

9. arclight610

arclight610
    Expand Collapse

It would be pretty formidable with the new defense .410 loads out.

10. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

I'm not sure what direction I'm leaning yet, but the full choke would limit it's usefulness with everything but birdshot-which would be why I chop it.
    I've never seen a polychoke on the .410, but that would be an interesting option.

11. JayAK

JayAK
    Expand Collapse

Go for it!
    Any excuse to get a new gun is a great one!

12. Texas357

Texas357
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Member
    CLM

I have a bolt action single-shot .410. So old it doesn't have a serial number. I asked about it at a gun shop, they had it labeled as a .22, so I talked them down another $20 seeing as they obviously had no interest in it.

It was fun. Lightweight, easy to use. I wish .410 ammo was cheaper. Broke a pin on it, need to replace it. So few moving parts, and it still managed to snap one of them.

If I saw another in that price range, I'd buy it right away. Single, or with a magazine. Bolt-action shotguns have some strange appeal.

13. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

If it's still at the shop, I'll snag it. It looks like fun, really.