close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Body for life

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by fit4christfit4life, Jan 23, 2008.

1. fit4christfit4life

fit4christfit4life
    Expand Collapse
    Keef

Hey guys,

I went out and bought the book Body for Life. I read it in one night and man what a good book. I loved the workout plan and diet plan. I started the program yesterday. I took before pictures, but won't post those till after :whistling:.

Can't wait to see the progress.

Oh, and I went from 268-262 in a week doing misc cardio str training. I'm sure most of that was water weight as im guzzling tons of water now, but was sure glad to see it.

Matt

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. California Jack

California Jack
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Matt,

Good job. It is a solid program and will give you a good base. If you can handle 2 of the 12 week cycles you'll be at or close to your goal weight. It is a great starting of point for the strength and fitness hobby/lifestyle. I can answer a lot of BFL questions if you have any.

When we did it, we for some meals drank Myoplex for the first 12 weeks. After that I switched to whey proteing power mixed with milk (skim). I liked it better and had the same results. It is also cheaper.

BTW, enjoy the free day.

Good luck,
    Jack

3. fit4christfit4life

fit4christfit4life
    Expand Collapse
    Keef

Thanks Jack,

I did have a question though. Are the before and after pictures of the people in the book after 12 weeks? Some of those seem impossible to just be 12 weeks.

I looked at the Myoplex and did NOT like the price, man those were expensive. I'm currently using GNC whey protein meal replacement shakes. I drink those 3 times a day and have 3 regular meals a day.

Also, I did not read anything about stretching. What kind of stretching does he do, if any?

I have to say, im very disappointed in my bicep dumbbell work. It was literally embarrassing. I don't know if it was b/c it was at the end of the routine or not but man, it was sad. This is the first time i've used free weights so it's definitely a bit hard/discouraging but I'll tough it out.

Matt

4. California Jack

California Jack
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I'm not sure about the photos. I agree, some are hard to believe it was only 12 weeks.

As far as stretching, it is not included. My thoughts are to follow the program. If you want to do something extra add asteady state cardio after everything else is done. If you still want to stretch, do it after you complete the BFL program. I don't like to do it myself, so I don.t.

Don't worry about the amount of weight you use. It will improve. Worry about hard work.

On the "Hi-point" level. Push the hipoint hard. THe 10 level is a max effort.

You can find cheaper whey on-line.

5. fit4christfit4life

fit4christfit4life
    Expand Collapse
    Keef

What kind of results did you get doing BFL?

Matt

6. TurboRocket

TurboRocket
    Expand Collapse

FWIW, I use Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey. I use the Chocolate Mint flavor (have never tried another ON flavor). It is yummy with just water. I had it with milk the other day and it was great. Usually, it's one scoop, about 12 oz of water, frozen blueberries, tbspn of flaxseed oil, and a few spoonfuls of applesauce. I may add a pinch of salt if I remember to. It's my standard PWO drink, after which I eat a full meal.

Anyway, ON is about $40 for a 5.15 lb. tub. It might be a bit cheaper on-line, and it will be much more expensive at GNC.

I seem to remember that EAS/Myoplex and BFL were all owned by Phillips a long time ago, which might explain it's ubiquity in the BFL program. I think EAS is now under Abbott or Ross Labs.

7. California Jack

California Jack
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Matt--

Unfortunately, I didn't own a scale when I started BFL. I believe I started around 230-235. I'm 6'-2". After the first 12 weeks I was down to 205-210. I tried it for another 12 weeks and got all the way down to 190. I felt terrible at 190. I was tired, weak and cranky. That's is when I switched to something else. I did follow the BFL cardio at this point however. I ate similarily too, but I just a a ittle more. I bought an ollympic weight set and started doing 20 rep deadlifts along with clean and press and bent rows. I put on 15 more pounds and was solid and stronger.

SO in total I lost about 30 pounds. At one point I was down about 45 pounds. My blood pressure was lower and my cholesterhol levels improved. I had way better aerobic like conditioning and was faster running medium distances.

As far as physique goes: After the first 12 weeks I looked liked someone that worked out a little. I had some definition although I didn't have huge musculature. After the second 24 weeks, I was too skinny. I looked the best, lean and some small muscles after I put the 15 pounds back on.

What you were after?

Jack

8. fit4christfit4life

fit4christfit4life
    Expand Collapse
    Keef

Well for now I want to lose weight and gain str. I need to get below 230lbs to start my flying lessons (if it all works out). I guess those helos don't hold much lol. It's not just the flying lessons, it's a weight that I do not want to go over ever again, at least not in fat.

My short term goal: break 230, gain a lot of strength.

Once I accomplish that: Do whatever I need to remain under 225 and put on as much muscle as possible. I've never been ripped in my life, and I would like to try it once. If I don't like it, well, just stay in shape the rest of my life!

I do have a question. What is the general consensus of coffee usage? I've had to change my workout time from after work to 5am in the morning and around 10am im dieing. I like coffee with no fat cream and no sugar, but am not sure if I should do without.

Thanks,
    Matt

9. California Jack

California Jack
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

First, I think what happened to me by loosing too much weight and gaining weight helped me put muscle on. There is a theory in the strength and health world called something like "anabolic burst". This is that if you get really lean and gain weight while strength training, the biggest part of the bulk gained is muscle. It worked for me albeit unintentional.

I didn't gain that much strength fro BFL. Partly because my goal was weightloss and partly because I gain strength better from lower reps.

It is really hard, if not impossible for most, to make gains in muscle mass while loosing weight. I think if your trying to stay under 225 and want to add muscle my suggestion is to get as skinny as possible and than gain weight back while doing a different style of weight training.

Concentrate on loosing weight first.

To gain strength while BFLing, you should really work the squats hard on lower body day. I couldn't do this because of equipment issues.

Jack

10. California Jack

California Jack
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I see no problem with coffee. However what is no fat cream?

11. fit4christfit4life

fit4christfit4life
    Expand Collapse
    Keef

I'm sorry, it's fat free creamer.

Matt

12. California Jack

California Jack
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I knew that Matt, I just don't know what is in it.

13. fit4christfit4life

fit4christfit4life
    Expand Collapse
    Keef

I started adding skim milk instead. Not nearly as good but will do. The 3rd ingrediant was partially hydroginated something or other and I remember that being one of the things to watch out for. I threw the rest away.

Matt

14. California Jack

California Jack
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Way to go Matt! Sounds dedicated! You're on the way. In fact, you have inspired me to start eating a more cleanly.

Jack

15. ssHova

ssHova
    Expand Collapse
    Ohio 2A Militia

hey everyone , i read BFL about a year ago and it sounded good so i started doing what i could with some freeweights (dumb bells and long bar) ...

im currently back at my old house as the ol' lady and me went separate ways... i dont have any equipment here , nor do i have the 100$ laying around to go out and buy some weights...

anyone use iso's or just self weight with BFL??

-hov

16. DBradD

DBradD
    Expand Collapse

ssHova, if you can spare $25, you can buy Never Gymless over at www.rosstraining.com. It's a very complete strength & conditioning program and requires almost no equipment. You can actually create a good program with no equipment beyond an area of floor big enough to do squats, burpees, pushups, etc. If you have an exposed joist or a tree outside, you can rig up some way to do pullups also.

17. fit4christfit4life

fit4christfit4life
    Expand Collapse
    Keef

man, today is my off day. I can't stand them. I love going to the gym now:shocked: it's also my cheat day. I think im gonna eat some brauts!

I'm about half way to my month point into body for life and man I feel great. I have definition in my arms and legs. Havn't lost much in my gut but i no doubt will as thats the last to go lol. I've added pounds to my weights. i was a little worried about my biceps b/c I never added weight but last week I ended up adding 10 lbs!

Matt

18. proactive

proactive
    Expand Collapse

Very cool, Matt. Keep it up and keep us posted!:cool:

19. California Jack

California Jack
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Good job Matt. I'm glad you recovered from your episode. Keep at it, it is a great starting point and weight loss program. Enjoy the brats and have a couple of beers with 'em. You've earned 'em.

20. NeoGlocker

NeoGlocker
    Expand Collapse
    "Go home"

Dunno much about BFL, but when I started training (again) about a year ago, I cut weight first by changing my diet, running, and using lighter weights and higher reps. If one is to add muscle mass (heavy weights), a healthy heart is an imperative. I cut about 25 lbs. after 6 mos. and over the past couple of months, have put 8-10 back on. Started at 215 and am now between 195-200...which judging by the posts in this thread, makes me the shrimp!

As far as supplements go, the only one I use besides multi-vitamins and glucosamine/chondroitin, is Muscle Milk (in 2% milk). I generally use it about an hour before a workout and always try to eat a meal within an hour after a workout.

I don't have much to add to your post Jack, except to say that patience is a virtue. It just takes time...