close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boberg XR9-S My 1st real range session

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ccoorreeyy, Sep 16, 2011.

1. ccoorreeyy

ccoorreeyy
    Expand Collapse

Today was my first real range day with the new Boberg XR9-S. *Long story short, this is a awesome gun!

[​IMG]

I put 5 different types of ammo thru it. *
    50 rounds of 124gr. Gold Dots
    50 rounds of 124gr. HST +p
    50 rounds of 115gr. Silver Tips (1 malfunction)
    50 rounds of 124gr. Nato FMJ
    100 rounds of 115gr. Bulk FMJ

[​IMG]

300 rounds total were shot (well 299) and I had no hand pain what so ever. *I feel that if you wanted to the gun and your hand would have Zero problems shooting a 1000 rounds in a day. *It’s unlike some of the other heavy hitting pocket guns out there in that it does not abuse your hand. *The XR9-S IMO has softer recoil than guns like the Kahr PM9, KelTec PF-9 and the Rohrbaugh R9 (yes I have owned and shot each quite a bit). *The back strap contour is very comfortable and I feel this aids in its shooting comfort level. *The Boberg points naturally and the sites are outstanding for a pocket pistol.

[​IMG]

Its easy to see that the gun is loaded by looking in the window. *The rim of the bullet can easily be seen. *

[​IMG]

The mags load fairly easy up until round 7, it’s a bit stiff then. *As a side note, *loading the mags “backwards” and without a follower seems strange at first. *After the 7th or 8th reload I thought nothing of it. *Accuracy was better than I expected from such a small gun. *I do believe that it can out shoot me (I’m just a OK shot). *I fired all rounds today at a range of 10 yards. *I started each type of ammo on a fresh target and had 7 shot groups ranging from 2”-5”. * *

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ccoorreeyy

ccoorreeyy
    Expand Collapse

I did have one bullet malfunction on the 121st shot of the day.

[​IMG]

It would have been the 135th plus ever how many shots were fired thru it for factory testing since it was clean. * *A Winchester Silver Tip bullet separated from its case somewhere during its travel from the magazine to the chamber. *Clearing the jam was simple. *I flipped the gun upside down, pulled the slide back and both the bullet and case along with some of the gun powder fell out. *

[​IMG]

There was a good bit of gun powder left in the action. *Since no one was shooting at me (Thank God), I decided to pause the range session long enough to field strip it (it’s very, *very simple) and clean it before firing any more rounds. *

[​IMG]

Later I spoke with Arne Boberg about it and he advised that it could have been a poor crip job on the bullet or possibly a dirty chamber causing a pressure spike. * He said that a pressure spike would cause the slide to cycle much faster than usual and that could have caused the separation. *He recommends that if your going to shoot it a lot at the range to take a bore snake or brush with you and run it thru the barrel ever 100 rounds or so. *Once back home I got out the owners manual *to see the recommended oiling points again. *The owners manual is fantastic. http://www.bobergarms.com/profiles/blogs/owner-s-manual
    Directions and photos are spot on. *I did notice from the fired cases I looked at, around 50 or so, that all had good deep primer strikes. *There were some dings and marks on all of the fired cases I looked at.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not a reloader so case condition is not a big deal to me AFTER it's shot. *I have no idea if the marks would affect it's ability to be reloaded.

After shooting the Boberg XR9-S today I like it even more. *It is a fantastic gun. *Arne has hit a home run with the design and manufacture of his dream. *The fit and finish are top notch. *This gun will rank VERY high in world that already has some really nice guns on the market. *If your looking for a pocket 9mm I don’t think there is a better one available. * (for people that know me that’s saying A LOT) *I feel very lucky to have received one of the first Bobergs *from the first batch of guns to be shipped out. *If you can’t tell I am a very proud XR9-S owner.

http://www.bobergarms.com/

EDIT: I forgot to add that the trigger pull is smooooooooth. I don't have a trigger pull scale but I would say that the advertised 5.5lb pull sounds / feels spot on. I have also been asked if it truly is pocketable gun. I have a Meco front pocket holster that I am using and I have no problem with it i the front pocket of my jeans and cargo shorts. (I'll take a picture of it in the pocket tomorrow.

#2 ccoorreeyy, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  3. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

Thanks very much for the report.

4. xaman

xaman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the great report. But youll get no thanks from my Mrs for making me want to spend money on yet another tiny 9 :D

5. Adjuster

Adjuster
    Expand Collapse

That is a great looking carry gun. Did you buy it retail at a shop? They want around a $1,000.00 for it is that correct?

6. gruntmedik

gruntmedik
    Expand Collapse
    Honk Honk
    CLM

Nice review. :thumbsup:

Maybe I just overlooked it, but I don't see a price on their site. I see where you can pre-order, but didn't see a price. I'm very interested, but not enough to pre-order without knowing the cost.

7. Gregg702

Gregg702
    Expand Collapse
    Gold Member

Sounds awesome, where did you pick it up? I may have to order one.

8. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69
    Expand Collapse

I need 10 of you guys to buy one and then order a holster from me. Then I will HAVE to buy one... you know to make holsters. :whistling:

9. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily
    Expand Collapse

I'm way more interested than I should be, but:

How's the trigger? Length/weight of pull, crispness of break, etc.

Thanks for the report. (My budget say thanks for nuttin..)

10. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

Thanks for the report, it's an interesting pistol for sure.

11. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

Very interesting little gun. Is it pocketable?

12. G26S239

G26S239
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Patron

That is great! Congratulations! :thumbsup:

13. Palouse

Palouse
    Expand Collapse
    The Resistance
    Lifetime Member

Cool pistol...thanks for taking the time for the write up. I want one.

14. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the review.

15. ccoorreeyy

ccoorreeyy
    Expand Collapse

I added the following info to the original post. I forgot to add that the trigger pull is smooooooooth. I don't have a trigger pull scale but I would say that the advertised 5.5lb pull sounds / feels spot on. I have also been asked if it truly is pocketable gun. I have a Meco front pocket holster that I am using and I have no problem with it i the front pocket of my jeans and cargo shorts. (I'll take a picture of it in the pocket tomorrow)

16. ccoorreeyy

ccoorreeyy
    Expand Collapse

$949

Expensive, yes. Worth it, heck yea!

17. ccoorreeyy

ccoorreeyy
    Expand Collapse

As of now the only way to get one is to order directly from Boberg arms. I think the pre-order list is fairly long so it might take a while to get one. If your interested I would advise getting on the list before the reviews start hitting the gun magazines. Here is a link to their pre-order page. http://www.bobergarms.com/page/pre-order-request-form

I got in on the list in February of 2008 when Arne brought the prototype to the shot show. It's been a long wait but I feel it has been well worth it!

18. ccoorreeyy

ccoorreeyy
    Expand Collapse

Here is a picture of my Seecamp with it's new companion the Boberg.

[​IMG]

and since this is glockvill here it sits with a 22

[​IMG]

19. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo
    Expand Collapse

Well, it is a short gun.

If you are a undercover cop, it's probably really a good thing. But I can conceal my 1911 Officer's model or my Walther PPS, IWB, without any hassle. I don't have the need to carry a pocket pistol.
    Looks like the Secamp that was hot for so many years.
    S2

20. ronin.45

ronin.45
    Expand Collapse

I like it!

Thanks for the write-up.