close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bob Costas Anti-Gun Statement

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by INJoker, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Jan 12, 2007
    the narrow way
    I thought Bocephus had the Monday Night football bumper. I admit it has been a while since I've watched, but Hank Jr. fit that whole theme for Monday night.

2. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Jan 8, 2004
    MNF fired him for comparing Obama to Hitler.

3. RCP

RCP

Jul 2, 2007
    Celina, TX
    Hey Bobby, we might should take a look at microphones and our culture of people sharing their opinions publically when they have access to them. Apparently these microphones are to blame for people saying some really stupid stuff.

4. I have yet to see one person on twitter supporting Costas.

5. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003
    Last week a college aged man killed his college professor dad, on campus with a compound bow, then slashed himself with a knife, and died.

Where are the articles on the horror of being able to waltz into a store and leave with knives, or bows?

6. brausso

brausso

Mar 7, 2010
    Puget Sound
    I think it's time to ban water. Seriously, it's getting out of control. If it wasn't for water, thousands of poor souls would still be alive

From the CDC-

From 2005-2009, there were an average of 3,533 fatal unintentional drownings (non-boating related) annually in the United States — about ten deaths per day.

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

Well the truthful argument can be made that water is the most important liquid on this planet for humans, and is the most important solvent. Nothing is going to happen on earth without water.

Or alcohol for that matter. :) So keep your grubby paws off both of those.

I am still trying to figure out why we need liberals...:whistling::whistling:

8. donovan655

donovan655

Aug 15, 2009
    If there were no football, none of this would have happened.

9. PaulMason

PaulMason

Feb 10, 2010
    I see it as a mental health issue - suicide usually is. And a media issue the objectifies women.

10. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

Jun 5, 2002
    North Dakota
    The anti-gun statement was done while "God Bless America" was being sung in the stadium.
    Nice timing, Bob. ahole.

11. Averageman

Averageman

Oct 22, 2011
    Bob Costas is a jock sniffer. It couldn't be the fault of the guy who was coddled through H.S. and College because he was an athlete, it wasn't because guy's like Costa's have so much pent up homoerotic frustration that they adore these athletes and hold them without fault.
    Bob, when you allow the system to make Monsters like this, like Paterno, Like Sandusky
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/15/bob-costas-jerry-sandusky-strange_n_1094800.html
    What makes you think these guys will end up "Normal"?
    Bob, you're gay; you adore these guys, nothing they do is wrong. It isn't the "Man", it couldn't be, it has to be that inanimate piece of plastic and metal that is responcable.
    And no, Bob I'm not talking about that toy under your pillow.

12. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Just to clarify:

The point I was (and am) trying to make is not that Bob Costas should not be allowed to have an opinion, but rather that he showed incredibly poor taste in leveraging his celebrity status, his time on-air on national television, and the fact that he had a de facto "captive audience," to capitalize upon a tragedy and score cheap political points by reading the statement.

(Yes, I realize we are not a "captive audience" and can change the channel, but he did it so quickly and without prior warning that nobody in the middle of it would have realistically had time to turn to another station. Thus, "de facto.")

Had Bob Costas held a press conference outside his home this morning and read that same piece of paper, I would disagree with him and still think of him as a nincompoop, but I wouldn't have reacted to it the same way.

This is not a Free Speech issue. He can say what he feels and we can agree, disagree, or even argue with him using that same First Amendment right.

My problem is only that he used his position to capitalize upon a tragedy and repeat a bunch of asinine drivel fed to him by the anti-gun crowd without a second thought.

13. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Averageman,

Please edit your post so this thread doesn't get locked.

The grown-ups (well, mostly) were having a nice discussion before you sat down at the table.

Thanks.

14. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Aug 27, 2006
    CT
    Emailed as well.

15. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    Bob will pay dearly for his free speach and his wallet will take the hit. If we ban the NFL and it's violent players, plenty of jail cells would be available and lives saved.

16. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Oct 11, 2003
    SW Virginia
    Hank does not have the right to free speech then:upeyes:

17. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Jan 8, 2004
    Sure he does. He didn't get arrested, he got fired. He was all over the Fox News talk shows afterward talking about it. He can say whatever he wants and ESPN has the right to hire and fire who they want. And we have the right to watch ESPN and NBC or not.

18. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Oct 11, 2003
    SW Virginia
    I know he does, I just don't think we will be fortunate enough to have Costas fired over this. :)

19. JMag

JMag

Feb 7, 2001
    USA:Love it or leave!
    Apparently, Costas is Crazy Keith's replacement...only shorter.

:wavey: