Glock Talk banner

BMW MegaMotos are here!!!

934 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  fnfalman 
#1 ·
Not quite yet at your dealership but I have a special friend who allowed me to play with them a wee bit. Just a wee bit though.:crying: It's light, it's tall, it's torquey, it's maneuverable. What else do you want from a MegaMoto? Not to be outdone, so KTM is coming out with the 990 Supermoto to counter this Bavarian threat. Life is good.

Oh yes, it (the MegaMoto) ain't gonna be cheap, but what price is beauty? Did I mention that it's tall? The stock Akrapovich exhaust has removable baffles for that extra sound. Not loud but enough to know that you're not riding a sewing machine. Alas, it's gonna be hard to bypass the catalytic converter. It has both the cat at the bottom of the bike where the headers come together AND it's built into the can. So you gotta go with a full exhaust system to get rid of the cat. The forks are Marchessini (why not Ohlins is beyond me) and the rear shock is Ohlins. The forks are slightly divey while the rear shock is fairly stout. Dumb setup. If you're gonna make it soft ala supermoto style then do it at both ends. BUT still an awesome bike.

See less See more
#3 ·
Its been a while since I rode a new beemer.
Does the rear end still jack up under acceleration?
ABS? Can it be shut off?
You said its a tall bike. Are the footpegs racer high?
No ABS. And no the end doesn't jack up under acceleration any more. It's a tall bike. Around 36" inseam, I think. The footpegs are dirt-bike so they aren't high up and back like a sport bike. Lots of ground clearance though. I can barely tiptoe it but the bike is so light that I was able to ballerina it and still kick up the side stand. Barely.

#4 ·
Its been a while since I rode a new beemer.
Does the rear end still jack up under acceleration?
ABS? Can it be shut off?
You said its a tall bike. Are the footpegs racer high?
I think the "jack up" is due to shaft drive, I had a shaft driven Shadow and it did that.

Is there a heavyweight motard class that bmw and ktm are building these for? I thought it was all converted dirtbikes in supermoto and motard racing. If not, what are they marketing them as?

I guess they can make them for the hell of it, but usually there is a theme.

Mega-moto, ok what is it for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.