close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

BMW had sold its soul to the Devil - no more Bimmer for me

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by fnfalman, Apr 3, 2006.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=29&article_id=10753

The BMW 335i coupe that will appear later this year may look like nothing more than the latest chapter in the 3-series coupe book, but there are some radical changes under the skin. The 335i (the C goes away on this coupe as it did on the 650i for the 2006 model year) will have a 3.0-liter twin-turbo inline-six with piezoelectric direct injection. The symmetrical turbos are relatively small and each feed three cylinders. Power output is up only 47 hp over the normally aspirated version of the same 3.0-liter six found in the 330i, but BMW claims that turbo lag is all but avoided and — more importantly — peak torque increases 34 percent and is available from 1500 to 5800 rpm. BMW estimates that the twin-turbo setup gives the 335i's six the power and torque characteristics of a 4.0-liter V-8 with 10 percent less fuel consumption and 145 fewer pounds. BMW expects the 335i to shave more than half a second from the 330i's 0-to-60 time, which should put it in the low-five-second range — scarcely more than the outgoing E46 M3. The 335i is expected to carry a base price of approximately $42,000 when it goes on sale this summer. The 2008 M3 is expected to have a 400-hp naturally aspirated V-8 and cost $10,000 more.

Why, you ask, would BMW go to all the trouble of making this complex turbo engine when a V-8 would be a simpler and purer means to the same end? As worldwide petroleum reserves decline and prices go up, efficiency becomes paramount, even for performance and luxury vehicles. As worldwide emissions standards become increasingly strict, high-performance diesels — recently thought to be the next big thing — become less feasible. Mercedes-Benz also recently announced a piezoelectric direct-injection gasoline six which is naturally aspirated — for now. Dr. Thomas Weber, Mercedes-Benz's top engineering and development officer, confirms that turbocharged smaller-displacement engines are in Mercedes-Benz's near-term future as well. Turbos are here to stay.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

So much for cutting edge engine technology.:upeyes:

Might as well buy Japanese or American if one were to want forced induced engines. At least their motorcycles are still good enough to own.

2. :frown:

BMW has always said they would not go the Forced Induction route.

Still, I'll have to pick up the M6 or the new V8 M3 to replace my M sometime m:)

400hp in a little light M3. . .makes me happy in my pants.

3. OUSooner

OUSooner

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    That is one thing I always like about Honda. They seem to be able to squeeze equal hp output of others turbo engines without a turbo.

4. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Sep 4, 2004
    Racing Capital, USA
    I personally like turbos. They harness power that is essentially wasted in a NA setup. They are more efficient because of this. So what if it is the "easy way". It is the smart way. I don't see people whining about fuel injection over carburation. The FI is more efficient and can do a better job. I am all in favor of anything tht makes for a more efficient and powerful engine.

But I guess some people just love doing everything the hard way. ;)

Besides, more power can always be easily attained with forced induction engines and not some measly 5 or 6 hp either.

Mark me as a turbo fan (there is an aerospace joke in that somewhere :supergrin: ).

5. Scrappy

Scrappy

Mar 4, 2001
    PA
  6. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    bmw stopped making good cars years ago (IMHO). More weight, more electronic crap, and the added power to move it. Not to mention the styling....

No shocker they are going back on their NA ideology.

7. OUSooner

OUSooner

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Maybe turbos are more reliable now but never new one to be worth a damn after 100K. Also don't much care for the whine they make.

8. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    BMW has used turbos in the past...the 745i from the 1980's used a turbo I6. I don't understand the dislike for force fed motors, it's very, very easy to modify them and see big gains in power.

9. Scrappy

Scrappy

Mar 4, 2001
    PA
    Turbo's whine? I think you are thinking Supercharger!
    A superchargers whine is music to my ears. It is addicting to say the least!

10. What the!! Did I just step back into the 1940 with all this turbo hate.

No engine is complete without atleast one large turbo.

Good for BMW for getting with the times, I might now think about buying a car from them.

11. Skyhook

Skyhook

Nov 4, 2002
    USA
    I like turbos, I like supers; but I especially like afterburners!!!

With my vehicles, though, I am still one for the KISS business.

12. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Apr 14, 2004
    Mucus City, USA
    I-drive and Bangle butt? No thank you. I can see me in a cherry E36 or e46 M3 but nothing after that interests me. The Cayman, OTOH, ......

13. DSMonsta

DSMonsta Linux Pimp

Oct 5, 2004
    Northampton County, PA
    Finally a BMW I wouldn't mind owning. I only hope the beancounters didn't skimp on the internals in traditional German fashion and the computer will allow it to modified with ease.

14. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    not to mention it looks like a rebadged Daewoo....

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    I'm with ya. At least the older BMWs only look like rebadged Toyotas and Hondas.

16. Ron3

Ron3

Sep 6, 2001
    Florida
    If the car is lighter, has more horsepower, more torque, all with better gas mileage, what the heck are you complaining about?!

Now how it looks is another discussion of course.

Ron3

17. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    My problem with it is BMWs are already complex enough, like most new cars, and I dont really trust them to have the long term reliability of the Japanese cars. If I could afford brand new warranteed cars, it wouldnt matter....

18. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Apr 14, 2004
    Mucus City, USA
    I-Drive, Bangle butt, a new CEL every other week and $1000 scheduled services twice a year.

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    And force induction should be relegated to lesser companies that don't know how to wring out the utmost in engine outputs.

20. I feel obligated to translate for you guys. So that the rest of us can understand exactly what you are saying.

"I don't understand or am not very experanced with the new technology in cars.
    I am scared every time I start my car and drive down the road because I know that if on the off chance something goes wrong, (the chance of something going wrong in reality is very small, but for some reason in my head its parilizing likely) I will not be able to fix "it" or know what "it" is.
    I don't understand why manufacturers went away from carbs and standard manual transmitions/transaxles and suspensions like my Ford/Chevy/Dodge car/truck had back when I was into working on trucks and cars.
    I am getting old and don't want to learn anything new so every one should keep buying and making the same product that I am firmilliar with.":freak:

There you go.;)

BTW I would never buy that BMW because its ugly but the again I think all BMW's are ugly.

The car I would like is that new Chevy corvette.

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/

Imagne that but with a Single HUGE Turbo..... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :drool: :drool: :drool: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :drool: :drool: :drool: