close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blueray burners...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pal2511, Oct 3, 2011.

1. pal2511

pal2511
    Expand Collapse

You guys think Blueray burners are worth it yet?

How many of you guys /gals have one?

Any models to stay away from?

I would like a new dvd-r drive that took SATA instead of IDE so I'm in the market for a new optical drive.
    I figured in another year the blueray writers will be $50 so I might as well get one now instead of waiting a year and spending $50 in addition to the dvd-r drive this week.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. srhoades

srhoades
    Expand Collapse

3. srhoades

srhoades
    Expand Collapse

However a SATA burner is $20. So if you don't really need blue ray now, I say just wait.

4. TknoGeek

TknoGeek
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I have a Pioneer BDR-206 that works well for me. I typically use BDs for archiving video files. If you don't need large storage on disc or Blu-Ray movie burns, DVD drives - and media - are less expensive. On the other hand, BD drives are not a whole lot more and can handle burning CDs, DVDs, and BDs.

5. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

I have been thinking about buying a BD drive for data backups, but external hard drives are still cheaper and more convenient.

6. JimmyN

JimmyN
    Expand Collapse

I have an LG Bluray burner, works fine. The problem with burning Bluray's is the cost of the blank media. In bulk packs you can get blank DVD's in the 15~18 cent range, single layer Bluray blanks will run about a dollar each if you shop some, but dual layer Bluray blanks are still 5~10 dollars each.

But the price will continue to drop. I remember when blank dual layer DVD's were running $5 each.

7. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24
    Expand Collapse
    Bring M&M's

The blanks cost too much for me. I haven't checked the price of dual layer DVD's lately but regular DVD's are plenty cheap and I think dual layer DVD's are likely still more than twice the price. Last time I checked they were 5 times the price.

8. handyman

handyman
    Expand Collapse

Last year got a sony laptop and it had one, tried burning to discs and having tons of problems getting then to play on different players.