close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

blow back carbine 223/5.56 manufacturers

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by flw, Dec 11, 2012.

1. flw

flw

Apr 4, 2012
    I re wrote my post here as it was very badly written. Sorry for that.

Are there any blow back only semi auto carbine rifles being made today for 223/5.56?

I like the simplicity of blow back for semi auto as compared to gas.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Is it me or is this the second time in about a month we have gone down this road with someone?

The Mini-14 IS gas operated. it has a gas system I can't think of too many, outside of the H&K, .223 rifles that aren't gas operated.

The HK is a "delayed roller locked blowback" . In it's lightest rendition it is, IMO a bit heavy for the round.

Other than the HK the world of semi auto .223 and larger operates on gas.

3. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    Mini 14 is a gas gun. Can't imagine there is such a thing as a blowback .223.

4. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

Get a bolt gun. You can blow on it if you want.:tongueout:

After looking at your other posts I have a question.

Do you own a gun?

5. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

Aug 23, 2008
    Beavercreek, OH
    I would highly doubt that there are many, if any at all, direct blowback .223 carbines. Like others have said, I think the H&K roller-lock design would be about as close as you're going to get to one.

When I was reading a book about the H&K MP5, they went into the history of the G3/HK91 rifle. It mentioned that if it were a straight blowback weapon, the bolt would need to be 43 lbs in order to keep the chamber closed until the pressure dropped to safe levels. I know .223 isn't a .308, but I would imagine the bolt weight would still have to be significant, probably weight prohibitive, to accomplish the same thing.

6. flw

flw

Apr 4, 2012
    Thank You that answers my question.

7. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Jul 10, 2001
    Alabama
    The French FAMAS "bugle of death" is a delayed blowback.
    I don't know how it compares to the H&K roller action.

The .276 Pedersen and Thompson Autorifle were delayed blowback... 80 years ago.

8. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    Given the pressures generated by the 5.56/223 a blowback action is simply not possible.straight blowback unlocked breech guns are limited to low pressure rounds

9. Tazz10m

Tazz10m Mod Aerator Moderator Millennium Member

The other thing about blowbacks is that they are dirty. Just a matter of time before the gun jams and you need to clean it.

I love the Mini-14's gas system. Sweet, clean, simple, reliable, strong, light, parts rarely break. I wish they made one in .308, 30-06, and .300 WSM.

10. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    The FAMAS is a variation on the HK system, I believe it uses a lever rather than rollers.

Still highly reliable (with good mags). Friend of mine is a now retired Legionairre with a combat tour in Afghanistan using one. He still prefers the M4, but his FAMAS didn't let him down the times it came to small-arms work.

A straight blowback 5.56mm would end up needing both hands, a foot and three friends to cycle the action. Something like a shoulder fired Schwarzlose......

Even for 9mm SMGs blowback can be a bit much, there's some heavy bolt SMGs out there.