close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Blackhawk Serpa Sportster Paddle Holster Glock 19/23 (Pros and Cons)

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by arthur007, Feb 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. arthur007

arthur007

Feb 5, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Good quality item for consumption for a child older than 15 months.

2. Fredder

Fredder TANSTAAFL

Oct 10, 2012
    Kansas
    I have read where the much vaunted Safariland holsters are subject to the same clogging with debris problem. There was also a warning issued for the light bearing model.
    Tex, admitted that it was his fault and not an equipment failure that caused his ND. ( That never gets mentioned. )
    We have a about a 50/50 mix of Serpas and Safarilands being used by our Deputies. I use a Serpa both on and off duty. I have nothing against either holster.
    Use what you want to use. Don't let internet commandos talk you into ( or out of ) anything.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

3. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
  4. arthur007

arthur007

Feb 5, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    I've got the opportunity to get one at a great price but have never owned one. ..... I had a lot of questions that I didn't ask cause I didn't want to clog up the roster

5. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Sep 13, 2001
    Katy, TX
    I just bought one for my G23, this weekend.

My normal EDC is an IWB Comp Tac Minotaur, which I love, but sometimes I am wearing the wrong pants or belt and just want a paddle to slip on. I have been limping along on an old Fobus that held the pistol so tightly that drawing gave a 50/50 chance of still having the paddle attached. So I got the Sherpa Sportster at Academy for <$30.

It's awesome. The Glock slips in easily and locks into place with a satisfying click. The paddle is wide and comfortable, and with the included, optional belt prongs installed, is completely immobile against any belt. The holster's screws can be removed from the paddle to allow five angles of cant, before replacing the screws. The Serpa does stick out a tiny bit more than the Fobus, but barely enough to be noticeable. It fits fine under a long t-shirt or a sweater/sweatshirt/blazer.

And, the unlock button falls perfectly under my extended index finger. Drawing leaves that finger along the frame, just below the slide. It is slick and effortless.

Am I worried about an ND? No. I have to deliberately move my finger from the draw position to the fire position. In fact, I think it encourages proper grip of the gun with the finger off the trigger on the draw.

Am I worried about the lock getting broken or fouled with FOD? Nope. I'm pretty suburban and not prone to carrying when I'm in the mud.

For $30, give one a spin.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  6. wallytoo

wallytoo FA4AA

Mar 6, 2009
  7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I'm not a fan of the holster, and I think this video really lays out the problem with using the holster on the belt (as in the video, I think it's probably fine on the thigh)...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpxVG9XFJc"]Opinion: Blackhawk SERPA and Tex Grebners Mishap - YouTube[/ame]

8. Southswede

Southswede

Sep 29, 2005
    The holster is NOT unsafe when worn on the belt. "Tex" did not follow the rules of safe gun handling and that is why "Tex" shot himself in the leg.

9. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Grebner's demise had nothing to do with the holster. He intentionally pulled the trigger. Meant to. Just forgot it wasn't a gun with a thumb safety. He was practicing a technique commonly referred to as the doofus quick-draw.

10. 4Rules

4Rules

Mar 11, 2012
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOCFL8hVuw4"]Die Serpa Die! - YouTube[/ame]

11. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dec 16, 1999
    Minnesota
    I agree its not the best holster out there. It does work for what it is, cost, etc.

If you reholster with finger on trigger, loaded chamber..the gun will go off... WOW (does ANYONE train to have finger on trigger BEFORE sights are on target?)
    I use it for carbine courses. Just too dang hard to get at pistol under vest in concealment holster. Other then that its bedside holster. Seldom used in public. (just too dang bulky) IMO.

12. Southswede

Southswede

Sep 29, 2005
    You may not realize this, but if YOU pull the trigger, the gun may just go off. Tex found this out, especially after he flipped the safety down on his 1911. The holster had NOTHING to do with the gun going bang. It doesn't matter who bans the holster. The fact remains: pulling the trigger tends to make the gun go bang.......maybe we should blame the gun?

13. Southswede

Southswede

Sep 29, 2005
    Good Point Larry!!!

I remember when people blamed the Glock for unintentional discharges. Proper training solved the Glock just going off claims......maybe Glock was on to something: proper training?

14. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

Dec 11, 2007
    Utah
    I recently attended a 2-Day Skill Builder at Front Sight. I did an informal (visual) poll of holsters, and the Serpa was the most popular holster there. Everbody just crammed a foam earplug under the release mechanism and went through the class. :whistling:

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    My post really had nothing to do w/ Grebner (although that was his basis for showing some of the flaws in the holster). I think the video shows the dangerous pitfalls that holster can have. I think the biggest issue, is wearing it on the belt w/ the forward cant. He explained it better than I ever could, so I'll just leave it to the video to explain it. The bio-mechanics just don't put you in a position to make a good draw/press the button, IF the gun gets stuck because the shooter fails to engage the button properly.

As I said, for a straight drop thigh holster, I think it's a great holster. I don't own one, but if I needed a thigh holster, I'd get it.

16. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    There are no dangerous pitfalls associated with the holster. It's just a budget holster that requires the finger be indexed away from the trigger to release the weapon, which is a good thing. Of course, it's also a good thing to not use your trigger finger for anything for anything but the trigger. In the case of this holster, that's not a safety issue at all, but it is a consideration in a broader sense. While the serpa is adequate, and remains in widespread law enforcement and military use, we switched to the safariland 6377/6378, as it's a much more sturdy, long lasting holster. I highly recommend it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  17. :beer:
    Well said, sir, well said!

I get a kick out of the experts that shoot themselves and blame the equipment. I got a Serpa for my wife (range duty), and she seems to be able to remember the 4 rules after only a couple of hours of dry practice. Most pertinent to this thread, of course, Keep Your Finger Off Of The @#$%&*-+ Trigger unit you're ready to shoot.

Caught somewhere in time.

18. i thought i read somewhere that some or a lot of agencies have banned the holster from ANY use of their officers because of AD's.....