Blackhawk! Level 3 Duty or Safariland 6360

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by wrangler_dave9, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Hey GTers!

I need help deciding between the above listed holsters. For the academy, I only need a level 2, but I figure I'll just train with a level 3 to begin with and practice weapon retention. Weapon is a G22 gen 3. I love the design of the Blackhawk, but I've heard mixed reviews on the SERPA failing with debris getting into it. I've also heard it fails horribly should you ever need to re-holster, reload, and re-draw all with support hand. Videos show that the Safariland excels in this. These reviews have come from videos as well as the forums on officer.com

I'd like opinions, reviews, personal stories, or horror stories of either holster failing and the circumstances surrounding that failure. Thanks!

Just another day in paradise.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Blackhawk EPOCH Level 3 Light Bearing Duty Holster Holsters & Related Items Apr 11, 2015
    BLACKHAWK GLOCK 17/19/22/23/31/32 RIGHT SERPA Level 2 Tactical Sponsor Showcase Aug 18, 2014
    BLACKHAWK GLOCK 17/19/22/23/31/32 LEFT SERPA Level 2 Tactical Sponsor Showcase Aug 18, 2014
    BLACKHAWK GLOCK 20/SW M&P 45/9 RIGHT SERPA Level 2 Tactical Leg Sponsor Showcase Jun 19, 2013
    Blackhawk Level 3 thigh attachment Cop Talk Mar 31, 2012

3. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

6395 in my opinion, but many disagree with that choice.

Here's my reasoning. Any time my spidey senses were tingling, I dropped the hood on my 6360, leaving just the thumb security. I reevaluated what I was doing and realized "hey, hood down always?" But I didn't want to do that with the 6360, because if I planned on it always being down, then in that oh crap moment when I needed it and it was up, I'd to into a loop and lose precious seconds. So I switched to the 6325 (now called the 6395) and couldn't be happier. It's lightning quick by the way.

4. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

I use a Safariland 6325 which is similar to the 6360, minus the SLS hood. I'd say go with the Safariland, they're tough as nails and I've never had any issues with mine. Don't think you'll be disappointed.

Like FiremanMike said, they are lightning fast and you know once you drop that pistol back in there, its locked.

#3 indigent, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  5. Fredder

Fredder TANSTAAFL

I use the Serpa Level 3. Fastest holster I have. I have never had an issue with it.

#4 Fredder, Jul 13, 2013
  6. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Either one will do the job during the academy. The questions should be afterwards. If the agency that you go to work for uses Safariland and you have the Blackhawk there a period of retraining and vice versa.

I used the Blackhawk during the academy and a short time afterwards on patrol. I switched to Safariland because I wanted a Streamlight TRL-1 to carry on my pistol. Safariland was the only company that has a holster for this purpose. So now I have a Blackhawk Level 3 holster sitting in my closet gathering dust. I'll find another use for it someday.

Blackhawk is supposed to be coming out with a holster that will accept different WML on a pistol. I don't know anything about them nor have heard any pro or cons about them yet. I much rather go with something tried and true.

Good luck in deciding.

7. I've used both, and both are fine holsters. But, in my opinion the Blackhawk is the better of the two.

It is not only extremely secure, but it also puts the hand on the gun in a perfect shooting grip. Anyone who has heard of the AD aspect of the Blackhawk should immediately realize that those with that problem are drawing incorrectly.

That's not a holster issue so much as it is a training issue. I highly recommend the Blackhawk, and wouldn't want to change to anything else with the gun we carry (also the G22). Just my $.02

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#6 TXCOPPER, Jul 13, 2013
  8. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

About the only thing I hate worse than ASP handcuffs is the Serpa duty holsters. They are pure garbage and not suited for patrol work.

The Safariland 6070 and 6360 are two of the best duty holsters out there.

9. I don't use the ASP cuffs though, as I agree with Collim on that.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. Safariland 6360. I just got issued one with the new department.

11. I didn't list it, but that thought process is rumbling around upstairs. The agency I want to go with just switched to G 17 using the 6360. I knew they were switching to 9 mm, that's why I got .40, so I can have both. :)

12. I started with the 6360, changed agencies and was issued essentially the 070 or a garbage off brand depending on what they had laying around. Then we decided to add a weapon light and got the Serpa with Xiphos light. I liked the idea of a light and felt it was a step in the right direction. I however would like to go back to the 6360 in a heartbeat. Getting technical here but I prefer the idea of using my thumb to disable the retention. The serpa you go from thumb to finger and placement with finger is not always the best. Again, I'm digging a bit deep the 6360 is my vote.

13. Agreed. Everytime I read or hear this argument, I automatically push it aside. Its all about training!

14. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

6360. I would just as soon toss my issued Sepra III and worthless Xiphos light.

15. I like them both, but I'm carrying the Blackhawk! Serpa Level III at this time. Said on here so many times before, it is the fastest drawing holster I've ever had. Just like I don't recommend .380s for regular off-duty or CCW, I don't recommend the Serpa for everyone. You have to be conscious of what you are doing, practicing drawing from it numerous times before using it on duty. Again, I'm really conscious of not putting my trigger finger on the trigger until I'm ready to fire so that drilled into me keeps me from automatically curling my trigger finger while drawing.

16. 6360 for me. I won't use any other holster.

17. My last agency issued these but it was mostly because of the cheaper price. They are fast.

Some instructors don't like them and I am in that camp. I bought my own Safariland holster.

18. I'd love to get both, but finances just don't allow for it right now. I'm sold on the 6360. I just have one other Queston. Which finish is going to better match the Bianchi Accumold elite Basketweave? The Safariland basketweave or the STX basketweave?

19. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

I've heard the STX is way more durable, lasts longer, resists scuffing, and its cheaper. Not sure about the matching part. Basketweave is basketweave, I don't think its different enough to draw attention either way.

Randy

20. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Neither is going to match really well, but the STX basketweave is absolutely the way to go, regardless, period. It's cheaper, more durable, looks as good or better, etc.