close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Blackhawk CQC Serpa Holster - Observations and Questions

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by bear62, Jan 28, 2013.

1. bear62

bear62

Feb 5, 2005
    Rocky Mountains
    I recently bought the Blackhawk CQC Serpa Holster for my new Glock 17.

I plan to use it primarily as range holster and perhaps when out in the backcountry in Colorado and Utah. I've only worn it around the house for a few hours now.... haven't had time to go "outdoors" with it.

I think I will like it a lot and will consider using it while in the house as part of my HD plans. It's really very comfortable.

Couple of things I've noticed: 1) It doesn't fit really tight up against my body (I wear it on the belt and don't use the paddle) and 2) My Glock 17 has some "wiggle room" in that it move very slightly forward and backward... (no movement to the side)

Has anyone noticed the slight forward/backward play? And do any of you use this holster for concealed carry? Any thoughts?

Thanks .......... :wavey:

2. Yes....there are good reasons that major training organizations from Gabe Suarez (Suarez International) to Jim Yeager (Tactical Response) to IDPA to Gunsite to FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) to USAF OSI and countless others have all banned the Blackhawk Serpa.

It's dangerous. Don't show up for a class with me, don't even stand next to me at a range, if that's what you are packing.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1421788

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1394788

Please, feel free to research this issue, and please also buy a better holster.

Even Glock's inexpensive Sport/Combat holster is superior, and rides close and tight.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013

3. bear62

bear62

Feb 5, 2005
    Rocky Mountains
    Seems like opinions from those two threads are varied with many claiming operator error ...... many claiming design flaw.

Anyone else have a current opinion ....... Thanks...:wavey:

4. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    Just like any holster opinion will vary from person to person. I have two Blackhawk holsters and I like them. But I will add that my duty holster is a Safariland holster with light attachment.

My conceal carry is a Blackhawk Serpa. Just like any holster there are pros and cons to each one.

5. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Oct 20, 2009
    Eastern NC
    Operator error 100% of the time. Not knowing your equipment is YOUR fault.

I use the paddle. It gets the gun closer to me and spreads the weight out better. The fore/aft rock is what I would consider 'normal' for the SERPA.

6. bear62

bear62

Feb 5, 2005
    Rocky Mountains
    I haven't tried the paddle yet. It would be a plus if the Glock were in tighter.

toshbar, how easy "on/off" is the paddle? The paddle holsters I tried in the past were extremely difficult to get off.

7. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Oct 20, 2009
    Eastern NC
    I forgot about THE TALON :wow:

That is what everyone refers to the hook at the bottom of the paddle as. You must remove your pants to your ankles in order remove the paddle, unless you hack off the talon as I did. Paddle comes off easy now, I just rock the gun in towards me to unhook the hooks that go under the belt on the outside.

8. bear62

bear62

Feb 5, 2005
    Rocky Mountains
    Thanks, toshbar......... I will consider doing that.........

9. I've used my Serpa for a month now and really like it. I realize a month isn't long but my 23 fits very snug, no wiggle room, and with all my research it seems that user error is what has caused problems with these holsters. I use it with the paddle and only at the range so beyond that I have no useful information. But I do really like it.

10. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dec 16, 1999
    Minnesota
    Yep the dang thing just goes off by itself in SERPA holster. Lets see mine had gone off............"never" on its own. I may have a 2nd SERPA holster soon.
    IMO its too large for CCW most times. Excellent for Carbine courses, other. Keep in mind. IF you keep your finger on trigger when holstering the gun (esp if Glock) will go off when your finger pushes trigger to rear.
    Keep your finger (pocket knife, shirt,etc out of trigger guard when reholstering and no issues.
    One issue I have found. IF you pull up HARD before you hit release it may not release. AND I have been told if you get lots of sand in works it may jam up. (so if you plan to roll on beach first you might want to consider another holster)
    Schools have to plan for most inept students. BTW I can remove my SERPA in car (say before going into Post Office) easy. Slide hand inside waist while rocking it/belt hooks. Then stick it under seat, go in, come out, put back on. Folks don't even notice.

11. Gombey

Gombey

Oct 10, 2011
    I'm forced to use one. I hate it. Safariland is better.

I have spoken.

12. Operator error is facilitated by this design, unlike others.

I take back what I said about not shooting next to someone who has a Serpa. I have a small trauma kit in my range bag, but I need actual hands on practice. TK, IBD & gloves.

:faint:

It's not very concealable for CCW, therefore it's mostly a range toy, banned from competition and training.
    I have a Fobus in my range gear in case I get the urge for a cheap plastic paddle holster that sticks way out. Haven't worn it in years.

:cool:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  13. Gills63

Gills63

Sep 26, 2012
    I own 3 of them, 2 of which I've carried on duty. No complaints, never had any problems. The paddle doesn't come off easy, which to me is a positive.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. gooffeyguy

gooffeyguy

Jan 13, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    I have both a Blackhawk Serpa and Safariland 6378 ALS for my G23. I like them both, but they each have their ups/downs.

With the Serpa, ALWAYS make sure your trigger finger stays pointing straight on the release mechanism using the pad of your finger while drawing and not bent and using your finger tip. When done correctly your finger will stay laying flat along the side of the frame just below the slide. This is not a problem for me, it is the way I've trained and practiced drawing for years with any holster. It just comes natural for me.

I like the small size of the holster. I also like that you can adjust the cant of the holster with the multiple mounting positions on the back.

As far as gun movement/looseness, try tightening the screw in front of the trigger guard. It will bring the back side of the holster in for a tighter fit around the trigger guard. You can also change out the plastic spring that sits in front of the trigger guard with one that runs further down the holster under the barrel that puts some tension on the gun and takes out any play while in the holster. The non-serpa style holsters have this bigger spring, and you can also get them from Blackhawk (usually for free if you call and complain that your gun moves too much/rattles in the holster).

The Safariland has a retention that is released with the thumb and is very natural also. The holster is lined and feels nice, but is a bit bulkier and covers more of the gun. I think it would be harder to use for concealment than the Blackhawk. There is also no multiple mounting positions when using the paddle, only one, but if you use the belt mount there is.

Bottom line, I feel totally comfortable and confident with using the Blackhawk Serpa, but sometimes I go out shooting with family or friends that aren't as experienced and when they use my gun I put it in the safariland.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  15. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Opperator error. It's not the holster's fault when the finger enters the trigger gaurd and causes a ND. I've carried with one with my Glock and Springfield XD for 6ish years and no problems. And I have used it in practical matches as well. No issues with safely and quickly drawing here. I own 7 or 8 holsters, and my Serpa is my favorite.

I carry concealed too. With any jacket or sweatshirt on, I conceal my G23 just fine.

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    [ame]http://youtu.be/GDpxVG9XFJc[/ame]

I like this video and think he explains the "issue" very well.

Not on my belt.

17. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Does anyone have to bend their finger to deliberately stab the button to release the lock and draw a Glock? Specifically a Glock and not a 1911...? Because I sure don't. But I could defintely understand how 'doing it wrong' could have negative consequences.

18. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Doh ?
    Once again we agree - 100%

An earlier poster stated that IDPA bans this holster, but that is not true (we will see about the next rule book) but some ranges that have club matches ban the holster. We have had two near misses (really near hits) with shooters using a sherpa holsters. Our (former) AC says it is the worst design ever available to the public, and seconded by the international AC. Arguably, the only worse design is the FFDO holster, at least while locking and storing.

I can't figure out why people defend the design so vigorously. It doesn't conceal well, it can become inoperable with debris, and it lends itself to ND mistakes - particularly under stress. I paid good money for one, and figured out its short comings fairly soon (without a discharge, or near miss); and the store has a no-refund policy - and I still will not use it. With so many better choices, there is no reason to.

19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I don't dispute that it's an operator error. I just think the holsters poor design, could turn what would probably be a minor issue on most holsters, into a tragedy.