close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blackhark Serpa and 30SF

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by tooexcessive, Jul 1, 2012.

1. tooexcessive

tooexcessive

Just passed my CCW yesterday here in Kansas :supergrin: and I am looking for a good holster. I like the design and features of the Blackhawk Serpa, but I do not see on thier website listing a 30SF for this holster. Anybody happen to know if My SF will fit in the 30 holster? Could call them but I thought I would ask here first.

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

Yes. Be aware that some have said there are issues with the Serpa.

3. buzzkill

buzzkill

Congratulations on your ccw permit!!! Also your 30SF will fit in the Serpa holster listed for the 30.

4. tooexcessive

tooexcessive

Ummm what issues do you refer to please?

5. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Congratulations on passing the CCW exam and live fire qualification.

As others have confirmed above, your G30SF pistol will fit any holster made for the G30. Variances in dimensions between the two models are all in the grip. The size of the slide, upper receiver and trigger guard are identical for the two models.

6. tooexcessive

tooexcessive

Thank you for the congrats and the imput...you too Buzz!

7. Kimura

Kimura

Do a google search and you'll see the issues. Some trainers have either outright banned them, highly suggested that people stay away from them or will only except them if modified. Here are Kyle Defoor's thoughts on the holster. http://www.kyledefoor.com/2012/02/no-more-serpa-holsters-in-my-classes.htm

8. tooexcessive

tooexcessive

9. GThirtyTwo

GThirtyTwo Amor patriae

It's also a terrible, terrible holster if you actually plan on concealing your G30SF.

10. pizza

pizza

I have a Serpa for my G19 and never use it. It sticks out like a sidecar. It would be even worse with a big brick like the G30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. tooexcessive

tooexcessive

Any good suggestions for a IWB holster?

12. MAXG

MAXG

I've read a lot of gripes about this, and I'm totally at a loss. If you draw the gun as the holster was intended, and as shooters are taught to draw any gun from any holster (finger is straight along the barrel, i.e. never enters the trigger guard until you've acquired target) I don't see how this could cause a problem. Not saying I'm right and others are wrong, it just seems to me that this is a holster that "forces" you to draw correctly. I can see how if you've never used a holster like this it would take some practice, which of course we should do with all our CCW setups.

MG

13. MikeG36

MikeG36

Congrats!

IWB: Milt Sparks Versa Max II is my favorite followed closely by Comp-Tac's MTAC and the Galco Triton.

14. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

I have used my SERPA on a leg rig for two years and I still have my leg (G20SF). I also use a SERPA in a CCW role in my sissy bag and my bag has no unintended .40 S&W holes in it as of today (I have been in three CCW presentations with large dogs.)

The SERPA is like any tool, right tool for the job. I would not recommend one for waist CCW carry ... as stated above, they stick way out.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  15. damnyankee20

damnyankee20

For an IWB holster: The Crossbreed SuperTuck or a competitor equivalent is one of the better IWB holsters because the extra leather on the sides spreads out the pressure exerted from the firearm in your waistband.

16. obrieri

obrieri

If you get anything jammed in the moving parts(dirt, rocks, etc.) you are not able to remove or use your gun...I would only use it at the range or maybe competitions but never in a situation where my life may depend on getting the gun out of the holster.

17. Meathead9

Meathead9

I went through a 1 day course recently with a guy that was running a Serpa with his G22. He was a fairly experienced pistol shooter, and former military. During one of the drills, the locking mechanism was sticking a little, so he used a little more force on the release button during the draw. His finger pressed the trigger just out of the holster & he came within inches of blowing a hole in his foot. I never understood how that could happen, and thought that it was just another overblown Internet myth. Seeing it happen first hand was definitely an eye opener.

My advice, buy a better holster...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  18. PattonT

PattonT

Safariland ALS is a great substitute for a Serpa. It's safer, quieter, and better constructed. I'll tell you neither one is a concealment type holster though. IWB, which I can't stand, is most easily done with a Theis holster, Kholster, Supertuck, etc..
    For $12-20 a Glock Sport Combat holster is a must try, I like mine more than any holster I own.

19. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

If your chest is wider than your waist (I hope so) and you don't wear skin tight shirts, the Serpa conceals just fine.. I wear one on duty under a button up shirt (G23), and off duty (G27) and have never been made to my knowledge..

There are NO problems with the design, just problematic people using it; like the idiot who made the video shooting himself, with a 1911 with a hair trigger, and thumbed the safety off to soon, AND had bad trigger finger placement.

I know of THOUSANDS of agents that use the Serpa and work with a ton of high-speed warrant squad and swat guys, most of which use the Serpa and LOVE IT.

When you carry for a living and are in and out of your holster many times a day during stressful situations, the Serpa design is fast, intuitive, works as advertised and has that re-assuring click, that lets you know the gun is secured, so you can go hands on, or transition to taser..

For the record, my taser is opposite side in a Serpa too..

20. bac1023

bac1023