close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Black History Month - Why?

Discussion in 'The Furball Forum' started by KevR, Feb 1, 2010.

1. KevR

KevR

Oct 20, 2009
    I wonder why, in today's world, we still need a Black History Month. Considering we are trying to get everyone to consider everyone else equal and remind us that we are all Americans, it seems to me that we're creating a dividing line with a month specifically designated to remember and honor black Americans. It's all American history not specifically black history, so I don't get it. IMO, it separates instead of uniting so I don't get it. I think if anyone was going to do anything about getting rid of it, little O would be a rational choice and something I could actually get behind him on, but I doubt that will ever happen.

This is a touchy subject, so please keep it civil.

2. KevR

KevR

Oct 20, 2009

You're probably right, but I thought we might try to have a civil discussion about it.

3. trifecta

trifecta

Nov 17, 2008
    DFW
    Good luck my friend. It could happen.

4. deadday

deadday

Aug 14, 2007
    Texas
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5. pack-indy

pack-indy Emissary

Jan 31, 2006
    Indiana
    This.

6. nmk

nmk

Apr 25, 2007
    I think this could be a worthwhile discussion. Isn't that what the new president wants - openness and discussion? Shame on you, IBTLers. Sometimes you guys doom threads before they have a chance.

7. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

Feb 25, 2007
    Minnesota
    I agree, If one wants to dedicate something to a certain race, it shouldn't be allowed in todays society. It absolutely pits race against race. While in the past there were certainly some problems between the races and people took advantage, this doesn't occur now like it did. One race doesn't owe another race anything now. I say the same for race based colleges where other races cannot get in, I also say it for equal opportunity as well. Let someone be rewarded for what they can do, not because of their color.

8. deadday

deadday

Aug 14, 2007
    Texas
    Nope. Nor is there a Mongoloid History month.

9. Andy123

Andy123

Aug 28, 2004
    NC and GA
    Short answer - Because the other 11 are white history month.

There was a time in this country when classical greek and roman history and later renesiannce history were taught to the near exclusion of all else. I think that Black history was a needed attempt to counter than. Unfortunately, I now believe the pendalum has swung to far in the other direction.

10. yeah if there is a black history month there should be one for every race or none at all at most colleges they have black only groups like clubs but i bet the college would throw a fit if a someone wnted to start a white only group

11. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

Jul 21, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    :goodpost:

I concur...

12. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Feb 2, 2005
    State of Denial
    The history of racism against black people in this country is not ancient history. It is very fresh. The nation's mindset really is still "white Western folk" oriented.

There are a lot of attempts to "fix" things that do nothing to help. I'm sure I don't have to point those out. But I can't see anything wrong with naming a time to remember. Black children have far too few positive historical role models that show up anywhere outside of February in public school classrooms, and white children often have little to no perspective about the way things were for their respective races even just a generation ago. I know that none of my history books had any black people in it except for the slim section we flipped to in February.

As long as it's handled appropriately, I can't see a problem with it at all. One day, we should be able to move past it. We aren't there yet.

13. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

(roughly) 10 % of the population deserves (roughly) 10 % of the holidays and the months.

I think the question is why does it bother you?

Each month has multiple designations, National Tulip Month, National Gas Awareness Month, etc. Black History Month just happens to get a lot of press and advertising space.

ML

14. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Black history is American history, it's just PC bunk to do a Black History Month.

15. RichJ

RichJ

Jan 26, 2009
    That's because in order to have a history of something to teach, you must first have a culture that records their history in writing for someone to read latter on.

We know a great deal about Egyptian history and Roman history because there is a ton of information writen by both Egyptians and Romans. How many historical manuscripts from Africa outside of Egypt are there? It may be a sad truth, but their history pretty much begins with whitey writing down events of the slave trade. Everything else is just infered through archeology and even then, there are huge gaps between pre-historic man and the emergence of Europeans. You can't teach what is not known.

You could say the same thing about the history of the American Indian.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  16. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    BH month is the relic of an era when race mattered. The only folks who give it any attention are those who are stuck in history.