close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Birdshot OK for badguys?! What the heck?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by OctoberRust, Oct 2, 2012.

1. weagle

weagle

May 16, 2008
    Sandy Springs Ga

2. pokersamurai

pokersamurai

Jan 11, 2008
    I understand completely, we are all entitled to our opinions and I respect your choice based on your experience and your HD application.

I hope neither of us ever find ourselves in a situation where we have to use our shotguns for self defense, but if we do I hope our loads work. :supergrin:

3. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    To say choke means nothing @ 7yds tells me you either do not test your sg loads or have never used an open/riot choke, Yes it matters. A mod choke will reduce the spread to 2-3" @ 21ft, that is signifcant. Again, I wet pheasant @ approx 50ft w/ mod choke & #6 & had most pellets stop inside the bird & many right under the skin, not comforting for SD, but hey, your life.:dunno: My own test prove diff than complete obliteration of anything @ 21ft w/ an open/riot choke.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    That was a #6 shot @ 21ft from a 870 riot bbl thru 2 layers of denim. Note none of the #6 went thru the ribs on the right. The left were smashed & broken using #4 buck. I know which would end the fight sooner than later. Yes choke matters at any distance but contact.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  4. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011
    Birdshot in a pinch if nothing else is available, but #1 buck is the best of all.

5. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    #1 is indeed great.

How mine patterns at 75 feet

[​IMG]

21 feet (plus some 00 to the cranium)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  6. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Nice pics! :cool:

7. scccdoc

scccdoc

Dec 28, 2011
    Here is a thread and a quote from earlier today...........

Chris Costa on HD shotguns and handguns

Also, it’s worth noting that during my courses or when I shoot in my DVDs, every time I shoot I’m firing law enforcement rounds of 1600 feet/second slugs, or 1500/second 00 buck. I’m not going out there running birdshot; you know if we went out there and ran birdshot #7 or #8 I could actually employ the gun much faster. My whole goal is to demonstrate and teach what’s very realistic.

8. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Nice link! :cool:

9. Providence

Providence

Feb 5, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    It was an interesting read. I'm curious about his instruction to center the gun on your chest as much as possible? I have the Magpul video, but I don't remember that... Must have not paid enough attention.

He makes a good point about the pistol at night, clearing the house. I don't plan on any house clearing. We are going to retreat and defend from cover. DWHas the rifle and I have the SG. She is a deadly shot! So our philosophy is that out pistols are to get us to our long guns. I realize kids would complicate that, but ours are grown.

Please vote! It's that important!

10. Providence

Providence

Feb 5, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    sorry, I was referring to the Chris Costa interview.

Please vote! It's that important!

11. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    For Romney!!!