close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

bingi?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by antediluvianist, Sep 11, 2004.

1. This Canadian list confirms what all the other similar lists I've seen indicate : 9mm. is significantly louder (more decibels ) than .45acp (the decibel numbers are logarithmic so the difference is more than it seems.)

CENTERFIRE PISTOL DATA

.25 ACP 155.0 dB
    .32 ACP 153.5 dB
    .380 157.7 dB
    9mm 159.8 dB
    .38 Spl 156.3 dB
    .357 Magnum 164.3 dB
    .44 Spl 155.9 dB
    .45 ACP 157.0 dB
    .45 COLT 154.7 dB

The above averages are for all types of ammunition used in these firearms, and should be considered fairly representative. No wonder we hear numerous reports about hearing loss as a result of firearms , including acoustic traumas that destroy hearing completely as a result of one shot. Imagine what the noise levels must be when we incorporate porting into firearms, or have a gun fire near the ear .

2. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Jan 22, 2004
    almost home
    Good topic.
    Similar data from another thread:

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=269913

;P

3. vega

vega

Sep 29, 2001
    SoCal
  4. Meron na ko nito!

Yikes!!
    ;P

5. LexaDoig

LexaDoig

Aug 8, 2004
    Philippines
    Tinnitus... In very silent environments I can hear some ringing... Must be from all those firecrackers when I was a kid...

PS Sometimes I hear voices too ;f

6. I suspect that most of us do not really wear enough ear protection.I don't, and I wear more than most shooters I see. Those guys working at my indoor gunrange just wear little earplugs all day long, every day. Most of the shooters just pluck those very-worn common-use ear muffs off the wall when they enter the firing area (indoor range). I have seen some shooters just stick empty .38 spcl. shell cases into their ears. Some don't yell "Fire" or any warning before they shoot, so at least some of the other guys on the line have their muffs off when they start shooting. Sure has happened to me.

I bought just P600 earmuffs and they look Ok, but can't be really international standard. Those things plus ear plugs are all I use.
    I guess I should buy better hearng protection.

Gentlemen, can you recommend a good pair of shooting muffs that are available in Manila and don't cost more than P4000? and where available? I do remember ringing in my ears after shooting .357 mag.

7. What about those fancy electronic muffs that cancel out the loud sounds but allow the mild ones through? They're around 7K last I asked...

Also, is sound db a linearly subtractable quantity? Point is, the gun's report is much, much more bearable, even with the use of tissue paper, when plugged in the ear canal. I mean, is there any reliable study of degree of noise strenght after the plug or muffs? To my observation, it's the high pitch of the sonic boom that's really hurtful, not the low bass-like sound that remains when I put on my muffs.

Thanks for any replies. ;)

8. julianz

julianz toxic master

Sep 24, 2003
    sand castle
    i used ordinary earplugs but im planning to buy an earmuffs, but in real life situation would anyone find time to wear ear protection if a BG is in front of you ..we cannot say TEKA.TEKA wait ka lang wala akong ear plug. i suggest we need to get used of our boomers BANG..but not in a confined area.just my piso ;e

9. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    i guess this is fine for those who plink once in while. but for those who practice and compete, it might lead to cummulative hearing loss

10. Ah, try firing a few .357s without hearing protection.

If somebody is attacking, well, you have no choice. You fire. And in fact some people who have been in gunfights say that they don't even remember hearing their guns go off (but the effect on their ears certainly occurred, whether they remember hearing the shots or not.)

Practice with hearing protection; compete using hearing protection. And if unfortunately you get into real life gunfight, the loudness of your gun will the least of your problems.

11. jasonub

jasonub

Sep 28, 2003
    Philippines
    When the 50 barret came out to our armed forces. one marine sniper told me that at mindanao he was on a spotting station i think, when they chanced upon 5 moro rebels.

he got so excited since they were not more than 300 meters away and he took the barret and let go a round. He forgot to wear the plugs and he heard the ringing sound for a full 4 days;f

12. horge

Jan 22, 2004
    almost home
    Construction worker earmuffs ----(cost:p200.00) NRR 32dB
    Construction worker earplugs ----(cost:p100.00) NRR 22dB

Total expense = P300.oo
    Total hearing protection = 117 dB

I've compared construction earmuffs with dedicated firing range passive muffs, and found no perceptible difference in noise reduction despite a dfference in pricetag reaching many hundreds of pesos.

Put on construction safety-glasses (P190.00) designed to protect against impact of shrapnel from impact drils and pneumatic hammers...

Put on a disposable NIOSH-vetted N95 facemask to keep toxic lead dust and compounded mercury vapor from your mouth, nose and lungs, and you're good to go.

Don't forget your 'Shell Helix Ultra' or 'Mobil 1' gun lube and your lighter fluid (naphtha) degreaser to include in your budget accessory/maintenance kit

:)

13. jasonub

jasonub

Sep 28, 2003
    Philippines
    as long as the stage props hold up, the RO wont call you to fix the props;f

but if its value you cant beat those. For me i need to look fast so that they think im fast. Gamit palang panalo na! even if you dont win anything pogi ka naman;f ;f ;f

14. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

Dec 7, 2002
    on the road again
    ante: try Wyler enteprise,1300 Rizal avenue,Sta.Cruz,Manila tel: 735-1090,735-0585,735-1022,7351020.look for bert yap(sales manager).I bought my peltor muff there.they have all kinds of hearing/safety devices.prices are reasonable .

15. horge

Jan 22, 2004
    almost home
    Ah, eh.... merong sabit ako diyan, boss.
    Mas que anong gamit pa ang i-suot ko, hindi pa rin pogi, eh...
    ;f

16. one_eye_kirat

one_eye_kirat

Jul 25, 2004
    poging pogi ka nga sa bates boots mo...how much is the damage including shipping cost if u ordered it over the net? can u give us ur final assessment regarding performance and reliability issues. how long have u been using it?

17. jasonub

jasonub

Sep 28, 2003
    Philippines
    RE bates boots, got it from the sportsmans guide. it was on specials and got it for about 50 dollars, had it shipped to my friend in usa who happened to be coming back after a week.

its the best shoe for shooting for me. i was inclined to but what the burner uses. adidas gsg9, 200 plus dollars!!! Good thing there was an alternative. its soft and grips all the surfaces that i encountered in competition.

good luck in finding a good deal. not sure if sportsmans guide still carries it. its the bates scout boots by the way. daming klaseng bates

18. horge

Jan 22, 2004
    almost home

Hi NC :)

The decibel (dB) scale is graduated logarithmcally, but unless my brain is really fried, you can add up NNR dB simply and then subtract that from the noise level (also measured in dB): Ear protection devices are tested using microphones to measure noise reduction, which is to say, they take a percentage of the nopise level away. Perentage is like a one-step reverse logarithm, right? So the NNR of multiple protection devices can be added as if linear and subtracted from the noise level as if linear.

Or maybe my brain really IS extra black and crispy.
    ;g ;g ;g