Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Bill to eliminate pistol free zones

Discussion in 'Michigan Glockers' started by centennial, May 16, 2007.

1. centennial

Jun 9, 2004
    This has been posted on several sights. I thought I'd drop it here:

Bill to remove Pistol Free zones introduced
    May 15, 2007
    Brad Benzing

As promised to SAFR a few weeks ago, HB 4759 has been introduced by Rep. Daniel Acciavatti. Co-Sponsors are: Reps. Hoogendyk, Horn, Stahl, Opsommer, Meltzer and Meekhof

The Bill has been referred to the Committee on Judiciary which is Chaired by a veteran anti gunner. Further, this Bill has a Minority party sponsor. Both of these facts will make this Bill a slow starter

Your help is needed to get this moving. Call your Representative and ask them to support this HB 4759. If your Rep is a Dem, please ask them to sign on as a co-sponsor. We need bi-partisan support to move this. It is very important to make these calls or e-mails. You can find the contact info for your Representative here.. All you need is your home address if you don't know who your Rep is. Please be courteous and polite.

The house Judiciary members are:

Committee Members:
    Paul Condino (D), Committee Chair, 35th District
    Andy Coulouris (D), Majority Vice-Chair, 95th District
    Steve Bieda (D), 25th District
    Marc R. Corriveau (D), 20th District
    Mark S. Meadows (D), 69th District
    Andy Meisner (D), 27th District
    Bettie Cook Scott (D), 3rd District
    Virgil Smith (D), 7th District
    Rebekah Warren (D), 53rd District
    Tonya Schuitmaker (R), Minority Vice-Chair, 80th District
    David Law (R), 39th District
    Kevin Elsenheimer (R), 105th District
    John Stakoe (R), 44th District
    Rick Jones (R), 71st District
    Tory Rocca (R), 30th District

Schuitmaker, Elsenheimer, Stakoe, Jones and Rocca are all solidly Pro Gun. Unfortunately, some of the most vocal anti gunners in the House are on this Committee.

We need everyone's help to get this Bill moving. Your calls of support are appreciated. When you call, please identify yourself as a member of both SAFR and MGO.

This is a link to the text of the bill:

It's pretty straightforward. NO restrictions.
    Contact your Reps and urge them to get behind this and talk to every CPL holder you can.

If you don't know who your Reps are, use this link:
  2. Just sent the following e-mail to my rep. - district 1:

Dear Rep. Gaffney:

Greetings from a fellow Grosse Pointe Farms resident. I am writing regarding HB 4759, which was introduced by Rep. Daniel Acciavatti on May 15, 2007. The bill would allow individuals licensed to carry concealed handguns to carry anywhere in the State, without restriction, by eliminating so-called "pistol free zones" under current law.

It is evident based upon recent events that these "pistol free zones" (which includes universities, daycare centers, hospitals, etc.) are more and more commonly becoming stages for violence. This is the case because criminals fully understand that victims in these locations will likely be defenseless. By decreasing this likelihood, HB 4759 will give criminals targeting these areas pause.

I am asking that you support HB 4759 when the time comes.

3. cyberhick

Jan 8, 2003
    Jasper, MI
    This is awesome. Punctilious1, please forgive me, I copied your letter and just changed the Rep's name, it looked a lot better than anyting I could write, especially when refering to someone with political views other than my own (Dudley Spade).
  4. Glad I could help! I hope this passes.
  5. Punctilious1, same here...a well written short and to the point note, thanks.
  6. XDHSr

May 15, 2007
    Lansing, Michigan
    Punctilious1, I used your letter as a guide too. My representative happens to be on the Judiciary committee, so I changed some of the wording around, but the message was still essentially the same.
    Hope it helps.
  7. cap'n josh

cap'n josh

Jul 2, 2006
    NE michigan
    I fired off a quick email of support to Rep. Gillard, got a pretty standard reply of "thank you for contacting me I will consider your comments when the time comes blah blah blah", ah well what can you expect.
  8. JohnJak

JohnJak sadly spent

Mar 7, 2005

This is why everyone should send 100 copies of a generic letter to them. Their mail boxes would get filled and they would stop and really think about it.;)
  9. Barbara

Jan 23, 2004
    Dudley Spade should be ok, even though he's a Dem.

If you live in a Democratic district, even if your person is just slightly pro-gun, please get with them..that's the only way this bill will see the light of day.
  10. FJC

Jun 20, 2006
    SE Michigan
    I've called and emailed everyone I Rep is Phil LaJoy (R), he seems to already be in our camp, though he's not on that committee.
  11. cyberhick

Jan 8, 2003
    Jasper, MI
    I got a reply:

Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for taking the time to write and express your position on HB 4759. This bill was referred to the Committee on Judiciary, Rep. Paul Canteen Chair.

I do not believe that the bill has received a hearing and I know that it has not come out of committee.

I will watch for it.

Thanks again for contacting me and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Dudley Spade
    State Representative
    57th District
    Phone: (517) 373-1706
    Fax: (517) 373-5777
    P.O. Box 30014
    Lansing, MI 48909-7514
  12. Redglocker

May 28, 2005
    right here
    Another Big Thanks to Punctilious 1. I also copied your letter and sent it off to my Rep. Brian Palmer. It was written much better than I could have done.
  13. Xenia

Jun 6, 2007
    I used the idea of what to write in this thread too but edited it just a bit (so it is not so fully generic).

Both the reps in my area are Democrats. I hope they are not anti-gun. I honestly am embarrased to say I don't know either way.
  14. Barbara

Jan 23, 2004
  15. Xenia

Jun 6, 2007
    Thanks Barbara.

My rep wrote back and said he supports this bill! :thumbsup:
  16. Tim13

Oct 16, 2006
    I too sent an email to my rep, and got this response back:

"Thank you for contacting me in regards HB 4759; that would repeal the “gun-free zone” provision of the concealed pistol permit law. Hearing from you helps me better represent our community in the Legislature.

As a CCW holder myself, I understand and support this legislation. Currently, it has been referred to House Judiciary Committee. I look forward to voting in favor of HB 4759 should the Democrat majority allow it to be voted upon.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and ideas. If I can be of further assistance in this or any matter, feel free to contact my office.

Glenn Steil Jr.

State Representative

72nd District"
  17. Korey5640

Korey5640 The Cheesiest!

Jul 10, 2005
    Here is my e-mail response:

Dear Korey -------------,

Thank you for contacting Representabive Andy Meisner regarding House Bill 4759. If you could provide us with your home address so we are able to best meet your needs in this correspondence, it would be much appreciated. Rep. Meisner will then respond as soon as possible.

Phil ------
    Legislative Aide

What do you think, send the address or ignore that request?
  18. I would give it to them. It probably means they'll take a few minutes to write back, saturating their minds in the concept a bit longer than if you didn't. They'd be able to find your address anyway if they wanted to.
  19. ToBePD

ToBePD SPC - E4

Nov 26, 2004
    W. Michigan
    This is what I sent to my representatives. Feel free to copy and paste, remember to change the representatives name to yours.

Dear Rep. Meekhof,

I would like to take a minute of your time to discuss House Bill 4759 introduced by Rep. Daniel J. Acciavatti. Currently I don't know your stand on Concealed Carry, to be honest I haven't been all that into politics, but this bill brings something to the table that I am willing to make my vote count.

The men and women who obtain a CPL are law abiding. Yes, theirs always the few who ruin it for the many but regardless if someone has a concealed carry permit or not, if they decide to cause harm to others they would do it anyway, permit or not. As Rep.Acciavatti said "Concealed weapon license holders are some of the most law abiding citizens in our state. Over the past five years 203,051 concealed weapon permits have been issued in Michigan and only 671 licenses have been revoked. That equals less than one percent (actually .34%) of all issued licenses that have been revoked."

Without this bill criminals will have free reign to do as they like in pistol free zones. They know at certain establishments concealed permit holders are forced to disarm and leave their handguns in their vehicle. That alone is enough reason to pass this bill, so concealed permit holders don't have to leave their handgun in a car. Leaving a handgun in a car doesn't sound like gun control to me, allowing concealed pistol holders to stay armed protects the community by not allowing guns from getting stolen and sold on thestreet and it protects the the concealed pistol holder and their family if a situation arises that deadly force is necessary.

Thank you for your time Rep. Meekhof and I look forward to hearing back from you.
  20. Weezer

Nov 25, 2001
    Burbs of Detroit

I live in Grosse Pointe also.

Great letter!