close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bike Patrol Guys, step inside

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by DaBigBR, Sep 12, 2011.

1. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Our department is sponsoring a bicycle patrol class late this month and in to next month. We, as usual, have more demand than we do bikes. I've started (and started LATE) looking in to a way for individual officers to purchase their own rides. We will likely have 6-8 certified bike patrol officers after this class and a whopping two bikes for them to share. Some officers are already planning on taking the class on a personally owned bike.

So my questions:

1) Is there any brand that should absolutely be avoided? It appears that Trek, Cannondale, Fuji, and Smith and Wesson all make bikes. The S&Ws look like they're pretty cheap, which I consider to be a clue...maybe I'm wrong.

2) Does anybody know what actual street prices are on Trek's police bikes lately? The Trek website has MSRP at around $1250, but obviously MSRP does not always equal retail pricing.

3) The most readily available brand appears to be Fuji, with several online retailers stocking their police bikes. Anybody have personal experience with them?

Any input is appreciated...we're obviously late in the game here.

2. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Personally, I've never heard anything good about the S&W bikes. Trek seems to be the standard in this area, with a few Canonndale sprinkled in for good measure.

I haven't looked at police bikes in a while, but I want to say that street prices are about 200 less than MSRP, so figure around a grand.

I've met a few Fuji riders on the trails, they seem to enjoy their rides, but I have no direct experience with them, sorry.

3. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    I would recommend your guys hit up the local custom shop and try and build their own. They will likely save money and get good components tailored to the individual rider.

4. I'm not a LEO, but the local Bike patrol uses Trek. In talking to a "Trekhead," I was told that the WalMart bikes are not the same grade that you will find in a bike shop.

I have a Raleigh that I have a few thousand miles on with no problems.

5. BULLRUNN

BULLRUNN Double Tap

Oct 1, 2001
    Hampton Roads
    I have ridden a TREK and C-Dale I like the TREK most of all..less repair issues.. Im was the Bike mechanic for my command for 8 years and the TREK's had less problems. They are built in Waterloo WI and I think they still have a purchasing plan for LEO.. Both Dept and Individual..base price without the Night Rider LE lights is 900-1200.. check and see if your dept impounds bikes like we do for no city lic or violations I would go to the impound every few weeks and strip bikes to be sold, for parts if I could find what I needed..PM me and I will give you my cell and we can Chat...get the RAPID fire shifters.. Stay away from GRIP SHIFT... you will be glad for THAT little Info...GRIP SHIFTS ARE A PAIN TO KEEP ADJUSTED...C-DALE had issues with the HEAD shock systems you need to be a CERTIFIED C-DALE mechanic to work on the damn things. I went through 5 head shocks in 2 years...90 bucks a pop...hope this helped PM me for more info...

6. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Roanoke, VA
    My first patrol bike was a Raleigh. Loved it, rode it hard and it held up well. Too bad Raleigh quit making the LE bikes. My new bike is a Trek LE model. Love it! Very smooth! We were lucky and got ours for $700 at a Trek dealer a ways off. The local one wanted MSRP.

I would highly recommend the Trek!

7. scottydl

scottydl

May 31, 2005
    The Middle
    I've ridden just about all of the brands mentioned above, and have like some better than others... but really most of the "quality" mountain bike brands are similar for the casual user. Of course hard-core trail riders will have certain preferences, but police patrol doesn't really qualify as "tough" on mountain bikes. Most of the riding is done on streets and sidewalks.

Make sure you get semi-slick tires, gives you some traction off-road but GREATLY lessens rolling resistance on pavement... making a much smoother ride where you do most of your pedaling.

IIRC Fuji has one of the best police package deals out there right now. My old department rode Specialized bikes locally custom built for several years, but have now gone to the direct-order Fuji's because of the police deal.

8. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

If Raleigh builds LE bikes, that would be an excellent choice. Don't buy from something cheap.

9. PinkoCommie

PinkoCommie Unusual Member

We use Volcanic bikes (http://www.volcanicbikes.com/). They only make police patrol bikes. The bikes are a little on the heavy side, but darn near indestructible. Really well built, and made in the U.S.

10. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Still waiting to hear on what a Trek would actually run us street price from the bike shops here in town. Looks like Fuji police bikes, especially last year's models or the year before's can be had for $650 and on up.

Keep it coming.

11. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I like Trek myself. Contact the Mfgr direct and see if they offer any discounts. Also shop around for some grant money. Bikes are considered "community friendly" and also environment friendly. Might be able to scrounge some money there.

12. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Local Trek dealers are holding tight at the MSRP ($1,250) and grants are not an option as 1) this would be individual officers purchasing bikes and 2) class is in two weeks. The instructor decided that he could do the class a week a go and set the dates. More notice would have been nice, but we're left with what we've got.

13. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Dec 31, 2000
    AZ
    When I was in charge of our bike unit, I bought Treks. At the time, the police bikes were the same as their general bikes, but with bag racks, and cost a lot more.

I bought the civilian bikes and outfitted them myself with lights, bags and racks from another company. In doing so, I saved a good $150-200 per bike.

As you know, cop bikes, like cop cars, get a lot more abuse than the average Joe's. Don't skimp on quality.

14. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Dec 31, 2000
    AZ
    Oh, if you are near a university, check to see if they have unclaimed bikes. The school here sells them cheap.

It kills me that kids will buy a $1500 bike for school, then just ditch it cause they have no way to get it home over the summer.

15. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    If you're just looking at ANY bike for the time being, just to get thru class, I'd recommend looking at the Specialized Hard Rock. The thing is darn near indestructable. I'm a total clyde and it held up under the abuse I threw at it. Can't give any higher praise than that.

If they would want to use those bikes after the class, then of course that's a different story.

16. bikerdog

bikerdog

Feb 11, 2009
    My department has been runing the Fuji's for about five years now and the only complaint we have had is the rear sprocket on the bikes seems to break under the weight of some of the bigger officers.

17. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Probably a 90% chance that I'm doing the class and buying a Fuji. Our Sheriff's Office has a couple and they like them. The price is right on the bike and the OT earned by attending the class will pay for the bike.

18. Might be another option:

http://www.botachtactical.com/fu20posp.html

19. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.