close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Biggest fear of being a cop

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by wrangler_dave9, Oct 21, 2012.

1. wrangler_dave9

wrangler_dave9
    Expand Collapse

Just curious as to what your guy's responses will be. What was/is your biggest fear about being a cop when you first decided to become one, or when you first started out on the job?

Right now, mine is being dispatched to a call and having no idea where I'm going.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP
    Expand Collapse
    Inactive/Banned

Geography is my strong point so not worried there. Mine I think would be not being able to help my partner for some reason if something bad happened.

This post translated from Morse Code was made possible from donations from viewers like you.

3. kgain673

kgain673
    Expand Collapse

Getting hit by a car, or a car accident

4. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

When I was one, the only things I ever feared were getting sent to prison for something related to excesive force and people trying to set me up or lie about me.

5. Stang_Man

Stang_Man
    Expand Collapse

I graduate the academy VERY soon!

My biggest fear is encountering a situation, and not knowing what to do.

I know this type if wisdom comes with experience. I have a level head and often look at things from many angles, so I think I'll be just fine.

6. rsagona1

rsagona1
    Expand Collapse
    Hello

I agree with Stang. I graduate soon and I can think of a couple already:

1. Being hit by another vehicle while on a traffic stop
    2. Having my gun taken away from me
    3. As Stang said, not knowing what to do in a situation.

7. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

That I wouldn't get off each and every Thanksgiving Day, the Friday after Thanksgiving, Christmas eve, Christmas Day, New Years eve, New Years day, Labor Day weekend and Labor Day, for the next 20-years.

#7 Patchman, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  8. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

Get used to it. It's going to happen every day for a while, then every couple days, every week, every couple weeks, etc. The most important thing is that you do SOMETHING, and be able to articulate why you did it.

9. wrangler_dave9

wrangler_dave9
    Expand Collapse

That's one of mine too. Congrats on the academy! I start in January.

10. Butcher

Butcher
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

My biggest fear in the academy was to be assigned to the "worst" district in the city, notorious for its drugs/gangs/violence. Of course, I was assigned there, but after four years, I can't imagine working anywhere else. Best police in the country IMO. No offense to anyone else ;)

11. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

I was in a similar situation. But looking back, I realized it was the best thing ever! First, because as a brand new New Jack, I didn't know better and thought the "worst" was normal. So career wise, anywhere you go after that, it's like being on a mini-vacation.

Second, working in the "worst," nobody comes around to bother you about the little things, like wearing white socks with your uniform, no hat, or boots slightly in need of a polish. They're just glad you showed up for work!

Finally, of course, you learn more police work in a much shorter period of time than anyone else. And you can always say with pride "yeah, I was a cop for X years in that district."

Yeah, I'll disagree but understand your sentiment. :supergrin:

:wavey:

#11 Patchman, Oct 21, 2012
  12. Hack

Hack
    Expand Collapse
    Crazy CO
    Gold Member

Working in corrections there are some differences, yet also a lot of similarities.

For example, a call for assistance to an officer comes over the radio, and knowing the worst things that can be done have happened. And, us not being able to do a thing, but to clean up the mess. I still get this way from time to time, although not as often.

In the agency I work, we have had people loose their lives, (not often). More often it is for health issues. The last fellow had a widow maker, yet was one of the most in shape officers I knew. I mean he was in excellent shape from all appearances. Yet, he lost his life while training, and died in hospital, or on the way to it. Everyone of us who heard about it and knew him had that helpless demoralized feeling, realizing it could have been one of us.

Of the times I went down, each time was something that could have killed me, yet for some reason G-d spared me from passing on. Yet, someone who is healthy, and young is killed from some other issue. Everytime I have asked G-d, "Why?", knowing it is not for us to understand all of G-d's thoughts on these matters, nor to question Him as to why He would allow someone else with a wife and kids to go from this world.

Sorry for the rant and hijacking your post. I guess the question provoked some things I have not thought about for a good while.

#12 Hack, Oct 21, 2012
  13. DustyJacket

DustyJacket
    Expand Collapse
    Directiv 10-289

When I first became a cop, I had no fear of anything.

It was only later in my last department that I worried about anything.

14. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse
    Isaiah 53:4-9

I didn't think I had anything to worry about until I got older, wiser, married and had kids. Now, I don't want to screw something up and disgrace my position. I take even minor screw ups personally.

I think I was happier when I was young, dumb, and blissfully ignorant..

#14 Kingarthurhk, Oct 21, 2012
  15. 3Speedyfish3

3Speedyfish3
    Expand Collapse

I like DBBR's reply.

After 25 years and half my life in LE, I worry most about leaving the ones I love behind after all they've been through with me. After finding a friend and officer gunned down and having others I know shot and killed or wounded, I long ago accepted it could happen to me. Keeps you sharp. But do your job.

I just want to make it through to spend time with my loving wife. That not happening scares me most.

Randall

c01 likes this.
  16. nikerret

nikerret
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Awesome

First, was this^

With this^

Now, it's this^

With this^

Never this^ I want to be in the worst area with the worst people with the worst crime. If there are going to be bad people, let me stand in their way. Instead, I work in an area where the "bad" people are lazy.

I want to be the first in every door, the first in every fight. Usually, I get nothing. I make a lot of arrests, but the people known for running and fighting don't run nor fight with me. The other night, I had someone actually stop in a foot pursuit when I yelled at them. I'm the opposite of a poo magnet, but I don't want to be.

Now, one of my biggest fears is dying of boredom.

#16 nikerret, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  17. CAcop

CAcop
    Expand Collapse

My biggest fear was screwing up. Especially something pretty basic.

c01 likes this.
  18. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

Not knowing what to do in a situation is common, and expected, but what you are supposed to do is use common sense and your working knowledge of the law/policy to resolve it. You're not a walking computer and nobody can expect you to know everything and anyone who does is an idiot. It's how you handle the unknown that makes you a good cop.

19. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8
    Expand Collapse

For me it would be making my wife a widow or being maimed/crippled. Next if getting hemmed up in someone else's mess. Most everything else I can deal with.

For the guys getting ready to hit the road, don't worry about knowing what to do or how to get to a call. That's what you've got an FTO for. Just focus on good officer safety and soaking up the knowledge your training officer is trying to pass on to you.

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile

20. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger
    Expand Collapse

I was almost 22 years old when I graduated from the academy and I wanted to go to the worst, most violent crime ridden part of the city, To prove to myself that I truly had what it takes to work in the biggest city on the west coast.

My main fear after listening to my training officers was to be taken prisoner by a bunch of ex-cons in the biggest most violent city on the west coast!! :wow: