Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Biggest buck in a long time

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by vafish, Nov 28, 2008.

1. He's only an 8 pointer, but his rack is taller and wider than my previous biggest buck, a 12 pointer I shot probably 20 years ago.

Shot him about 7:30 this morning. Was hunting a small property with my son. It was shotgun with buckshot only (or archery or black powder). First deer I've shot with buckshot.

Had a doe come by first, followed by this guy, and then a 6 point. They came past my son first, but were about 70 yards out from him. He passed the shot on them. Pretty good decision for a 16 year old kid. They angled in towards me, the doe kept walking and this guy stopped about 50 yards out from me. I fired once, he bucked and started to run, fired a 2nd time and he flipped around and dropped (ended up one of the pellets broke his spine). He was still kicking around and I fired a third shot to anchor him. The 6 point was still running around so I stayed in my stand hoping he would go past my son. The 6 point wandered off without getting any closer.

About half an hour later the idiot neighbor let his 5 big dogs out. They were running all over the place barking and raising cane. I look over towards where my deer is down and he's trying to stand up. I climbed down out of the tree stand and put one more load of buck shot into his neck and he was finally down for good.

I just finished skinning him out. I can't figure out where the first blast hit him. Looks like 2nd blast hit him a little far back and high. From the 3rd blast I could find one hole in his ear and one that hit him in the back of the head and came out under his eye.

Like I said this is the first deer I've shot with buckshot, and probably will be the last for a long time, if I can use black powder in the same area I'll use my TC Thunderhawk instead.
  2. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Congrats Bud !

In all these years, I have never shot one with buck shot. Good job. Very nice, very nice, looking buck! Congrats again ! ;)

3. Nice job and story, and I know the feeling when you take a nice "head rack" set. ;)
  4. Natty

Jan 28, 2006
    Congrats on the nice buck.
  5. alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    Congratulations, and good job! Buckshot. whoda thunk it! I imagine your range is rather limited. Here in Ohio buckshot is only used for HD, no hunting application whatsoever.
  6. Porkchop

Porkchop Avtomat 1947

May 13, 2008
    Western N.C. Mountains
    nice buck.he will look nice on the wall
  7. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Nov 18, 2003
    Bad-Lands Ranch
    Real nice buck.

I'd shoot him where I hunt any day.