close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Big Problem in Todays USPSA Match

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Gtn, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Gtn

Gtn

Mar 3, 2013
    Livingston County, NY
    Had a problem today during match. Take some shots then I'd have either a click or nothing at all. Rack it, shoot it then click or nothing again.
    Happened a couple times with 1 mag. Took mag out of use. Then it happened with other mags.
    I started looking at bad rounds and noticed some had primers not quite seated all the way. A couple even had light firing pin hits but they were off to side of primer. I checked my spent brass and they all had good centered primer hits.

My equipment list.
    Glock 21 Gen3 and switched to G30S
    Only mod is ext mag button
    Using my reloads (I stripe my reloads with marker across head stamp)
    Day before match gun ran perfect but was using store bought ammo.

Any ideas as to why/what is happening?

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA

3. Gtn

Gtn

Mar 3, 2013
    Livingston County, NY
    Yes

The problem seemed to get worse as the day went on.
    1st stage had 2 (26 rnd station)
    2nd stage had 4 (12 rnd station)
    3rd stage had 8-9 (28 rnd station)
    Switched to G30S
    4th stage had 2 nothings on 1st 2 shots, cleared my gun and said Uncle

4. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    Do you have a loaded round gauge? Possible is rounds are just out of spec leaving gun slightly out of battery. Dillon sells them. Were the dud rounds any harder to eject?

If it was just one gun this could be. Did you clean the gun after the factory ammo? Another possibility is your striker channel is gunked up slowing the striker down to hit the primer. Could also be a broken striker but i would expect no rounds would fire then.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  5. Gtn

Gtn

Mar 3, 2013
    Livingston County, NY
    No gauge. I use to plunk in barrel but they were always good so I stopped doing it.
    Not hard to eject.
    Gun was cleaned after factory ammo

6. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

Mar 1, 2001
    USA
    I've had factory rounds that had primers that weren't seated. No bang.

7. 33GlockKR

33GlockKR

Jun 12, 2014
    Plunk test is not sufficient using a Glock barrel to find out if it is the ammo or not, Glock barrels are made over sized so that they can run just about any kind of ammo. Just about all ammo will fit in them.

Ask some of the guys at the matches, I guarantee you many of them reload and have a case guage.

Until you can find out, if it were me and I did not reload, I would change to another brand ammo.

Also, it could be that you need a new striker spring.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  8. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    You answered your own question. High primers will cause failures almost every time. Not the guns fault. Make sure your primers are seated properly.

9. red2rider

red2rider

Sep 3, 2013
    If you striped marked your cases after reloading. How did you miss the primers not being fully seated? This is the time that I check mine. Even with a case gauge, I always do a good visual before shoot day on every rd.

10. Gtn

Gtn

Mar 3, 2013
    Livingston County, NY
    That is a good question. I have no idea how I missed them.

I pulled out all the ones that look even a smidge high. I'll load them back into the mags and see if I can recreate the problem. Then I'll do the same thing with the good seated primers to see if I get any misfires.
    This really pissed me off today. I waited months to have the day off for this

11. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    With both guns showing the same issue I would say that greatly increases the probability that it is ammunition related.

12. smokey45

smokey45

Aug 23, 2004
    Central Time Zone
    Yep, high primers. Using a case gauge is also a good idea. Although some swear the Glock will not fire when slightly out of battery (usually caused by an out of spec round not fully chambering) my findings point to the contrary. Witness the off center firing pin strikes. Usually at 6: O Clock, and normally too light to ignite the primer. Which is a good thing.
    s45

13. red2rider

red2rider

Sep 3, 2013
    Are you using a progressive reloader? I say this because I have two friends that shoot USPSA with me and we reload on a 5 stage press one evening during the week.
    1 person is filling the machine with cases, and primers. Checking powder charge wt every 50rds
    1 person is operating the press and visually inspecting the powder charge before loading the bullet.
    1 person is inspecting with a case gauge, and doing a overall round inspection, and inspecting the primer seat.

Even though we've found this works pretty good for us I do still find issues sometimes with the primer not fully seated when I do my final inspection at home with my rds. So I fully understand your bad day during a match. Luckily for me it has happened only during a practice match. I'm sure it will eventually get down to me doing my rounds solo in the future.
    Just be thankful your loads haven't found you a squib yet and blown up your gun. I have found 2 very early and was fortunate to have the gun fail to load the second rd during the first time, and catching the 2nd time myself for being weary after the first episode.

14. John R.

John R.

Oct 20, 2013
    Mississippi
    I've had the same thing happen with my XD 45. My shell plate on my Dillon 550 had gotten loose, and was not letting the primer seat all the way. Once I tightened it up, all was back to normal.

15. Gtn

Gtn

Mar 3, 2013
    Livingston County, NY
    I use a Lee Classic Turret Press.

I will look over the loader to make sure everything is tight.

I will get a case gauge.

I will do a primer check after every batch from now on.

I will report back after I run this ammo again today. Its Fathers Day - I deserve a little range time.

16. Scott30

Scott30

Dec 8, 2006
    Central VA
    High primers as others have stated. I would bet that if you took the rounds that failed to fire and tried to shoot them again, they would work fine. The first firing pin strike probably seated the primers to the proper depth.

17. Gtn

Gtn

Mar 3, 2013
    Livingston County, NY
    Range report
    Went to the range and loaded mag up of anything that looked like the primer was high. Nothing happened. Just clicked.
    Loaded rest and everyone fired just fine. I think I ran about 60 good ones through.

Now I started looking at the duds more closely. Everyone if them had a S&B headstamp

18. Noponer

Noponer

Apr 5, 2006
    North Georgia
    I have had so much trouble with S&B brass that I now discard any I find in my brass supply.

The primers would typically get hung up going into the pocket, in my case.

........DVC

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  19. Gtn

Gtn

Mar 3, 2013
    Livingston County, NY
    They will no longer see the inside of a gun barrel

20. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Glock barrels are not made "oversized", they are within the SAAMI specified size range. The plunk test is still valid. I have measured mine so I know. Sounds like you are used to tight aftermarket barrels made to SAAMI minimum dimensions.

The primer pockets on S&B tend to be on the tight side. It is possible you thought you seated the primer completely due to the amount of force you used however the anvil of the primer just may not be seated completely.

For match ammo you may want to just use the same head stamp brass. Like Winchester, Remington and etc and skip the S&B.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014