bicycle and trailer for SHTF

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by shotgunred, May 5, 2011.

1. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

In the first few hours I don't think that we will see too much panic in any but the very worst scenarios so you should be 30 miles away with proper motivation. :wow:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Why? And, by how much?

3. Maybe the North Vietnamese should have been told this.

They might not have used bikes to transport supplies on the Ho Chi Min trail - can you get any more off road?.

#23 Dexters, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  4. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

How much off road, off trail bike riding have you done?

Based on my experience, the bicycle with trailer sucks when you get off road and off trail in the hills.

Now, if you want to move through the woods with several hundred of your friends you can certainly alter the area to transport goods, but even then it is easier to move a bicycle vs. move AND trailer.

5. I've mountain biked last week in Fla, Last June/July in Colorado and in North GA - I live close by. What about you?

They suck compared to what?

How much weight are you carrying by bike alone vs bike with trailer vs only by backpack?

6. When you are riding a bike and say someone gets something into a tire...and you take a spill...you are out of commission for several seconds to possibly even knocked out. Yes, someone intent on getting you rather than the bike has just as much opportunity if you are walking but when riding you have speed against you.

When I've watched videos of someone on a bike gets jacked...what is usually their first response? Instinctively, they try and get back on the bike and get going again. Bad move

The other thing is when you ride a bike...you don't seem as aware of your surroundings since 1) things are moving past faster 2) you are concentrating on things like riding the bike, watching for other vehicles, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I bought a bike last summer with the sole intent of using if if something happens and gas hits $8.00/gallon; I can use it to ride to the store or whatever and save money.

Given no other choice would you rather walk or ride a bicycle through the L.A riots or post New Orleans Katrina. The bike's sole asset is speed. I just think it potentially makes you a target as well.

When the OP said SHTF I'm thinking long term

Now, can I mount a weapon on the bike? Now we are talking...:supergrin:

7. As with most things in life - it is about balance and trade offs.

Waking with a 40 - 50 lb backpack a person can average 2 - 2.5/mph over 10 hrs

Biking - no game carrier - on a road packing 40 - 50 lbs a person can average 5 - 8/mph over 10 hrs

The bike gives you the option of pushing it, dropping it and adding more weight than a person with just a backpack can carry.

Both are exposed to surprise attack.

As the price of gas gets higher I think you will see more people walking to shopping centers with shopping carts like the ones below. You don't see too many of them now but they were big when I was young.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...19x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM197723403

#27 Dexters, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  8. If that is the company that makes the folding military ones I have an in for a group buy.

9. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

Excellent, we can have an educated discussion. I have ridden in a half dozen different states and a couple countries.

I think you will agree that on the road/paved trail where there are no obstacles the bike will get you there much faster than on foot.

When you add a trailer, you add weight even if you haven't added any more gear. The trailers effect balance also. The type of trailer makes a big different in this respect. Some trailers have issues if you go fast.

Now go to a hard packed gravel, sand, dirt trail. The bike is still faster and easier on the body to move yourself and stuff. The trailer adds more drag as its tire(s) sink into the trail. The issues mentioned above for the trailer increase as the trail gets worse.

Now change the trail to sticky mud or sand and the bicycle could be a pain. The trailer is starts to become a burden. The bicycle can not be ridden so it is being pushed. The ergonomics of pushing a bicycle are not as good as the ergonomics of hiking the trail with a backpack.

So lets go back to the to the paved or gravel path and add some limbs across the path. Small stuff you can ride over with a mountain bike. Small stuff is more difficult to ride over with a trailer. For the larger stuff, we are back to not being able to ride. We are walking the bike. The ergonomics of pushing a bicycle are not as good as the ergonomics of hiking the trail with a backpack. Anything where you have to get off the bike and lift it over the obstacle is even more of a pain. If you have to lift the bike you now have to detach the trailer and lift it separately.

Now lets go off the trail. What do we find off trail? We have more soft soil, sticky mud, unpacked sand, large rocks, sticks and branches, and we add undergrowth. It can not be ridden unless the person want to crash often. The handle bars may or may not fit between the trees. The ergonomics of pushing a bicycle are not as good as the ergonomics of hiking the trail with a backpack. The undergrowth is getting hung up in the gears, spokes.... When the trailer is added, it may mean pushing the bike a little way and then coming back for the trailer.

I don't see a one solution to travel. Keep the options open.

10. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

I see you have been typing while I have been typing.
    Yes, exactly.

11. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

Speed works for you on the bike. You are a harder target to shoot. Your first paragraph really makes no sense.

I became one with my bike when I was riding on a regular basis. I can speed up or slow down. I could ride into a situation very slowly and ride away fast if there was an ambush. It is not as good as a car, but much better than on foot.

I would much rather ride out of LA riots or Post N.O. vs. walk.

12. Akita

Akita gone

Depending on how bad off road you mean, of course. If a bike and trailer can go there, its always easier to push it than carry the gear. At least at my age it is.

13. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

Bumping a thread out of the past.

It depends.

If going across a surface which pushing is difficult, I found myself carrying my bicycle and gear. Since a bicycle is not designed to be carried, this makes life more difficult than just carrying the gear. Then you add a trailer which means you have two trips.

If going across a surface where you can not ride, but you can walk. This isn't bad for the first mile, but then you are pushing across the bike which wears you down more than if you were just pushing from behind.

Now just for fun, assume you come to a locked fence. Now you either have the strength to pick up a loaded bike and gear and lift it over OR you find yourself taking everything off and lifting it over and then putting everything back.

BTW, Just a reminder. I enjoy riding. I did the tour camping along the way. It is great and not so great. I suggest anyone who wants to tour get on the GAP or C&O and try it out. Learn what works and what doesn't.

14. A thread worth reviving. If only to remind ourselves that non-gas alternatives are always worth owning—and mastering. I continue to encourage folks around me to get a good bike fitting, and use that bike. Enjoy it. 'Cause on the day you might need it for some... alternate situation, it will be as familiar as tying your boots.

I'm currently building a Surly ECR, a new offering from them that's built for road and offroad. Check it out at Surly's site: www.surlybikes.com

15. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

Assuming I stay in my current AO, I am thinking of getting a BikeFriday to take with me all the time. It wouldn't be a full on bug out bike, but it would get me home.

Additionally, the biggest issue with public transportation is the last mile. This would take care of the last mile, even in a suit and tie.

16. Yes. Cherish these days, and earn your fatherhood. Watching football and hugging or kissing your offspring, as he/she heads off to Scouts/sports practice/dance class is NOT raising your child. Taking active participation (preferably...Directectly...IS raising your child). Cherish it and earn it. Please - for your child's sake. :)

17. You know, I had never really considered the BOBike. That said, having been out in the wild with Deputy Dave a couple of time's, I'm a fan!!!!

I rode full pack a couple of times and while it definitely limited situational awareness somewhat, and had a different set of pain than walking associated with it, I am now convinced that it IS an excellent alternate form of transport and should be considered.

Dep Dave used a trailer. This might not be so good, depending. Weight, stability, etc...All issues to consider.

I think, for me, the basic bike is the way to go. I'll pass on the trailer. IF I went trailer, I'd go with one of those little baby buggies.

There were also a couple of crashes. Get your trailer technique down under load! And you teamster/loading skills too.

I'd love to have the bikes on the BOVehicle. 5 bikes might not be reasonable though.

18. The older I get, and the more I 'bikepack', the less I need. So I agree with your hunch about the trailer. I owned one years ago, but sold it. If I'm down to a bicycle, I want to be as nimble as possible, so frame bag systems like those offered by Porcelain Rocket and others are my choice.

Whatever that's worth.

19. We are bike and motorcycle riders. Mostly off road but ride on road too. About 10 years ago I used to ride over 340 miles in a day in competition.

Don't go that far anymore. I built a trailer about 10 years ago and another bigger trailer later.
    Here is my big trailer.
    [​IMG]
    and a run with fire wood with my motorbike.
    [​IMG]

#39 glockout, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  20. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

best way to get into shape for a bike ride with extra weight, ride the hell out of the bike...Ive done a few rails to trails trips with 30lbs of extra gear on my bike on soft gravel and I found the best way to increase endurance was just put in the miles, I tried incorporating more weight lifting with my legs and that really didn't seem to do much for riding endurance.