close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

BGSL closes just about everything

Discussion in 'Bluegrass Glockers' started by Bren, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I just got an email that BGSL has closed all of the pistol and rifle shooting ranges, pits, etc.

Seems like an overreaction that will cost membership and we'll see whether the club recovers or closes. I was already re-evaluating my membership in light of the pistol club's BS, so I guess I'm now looking for a new place to compete and doing my practice at Franklin Co.

2. Berretta9

Berretta9

Feb 22, 2005
    Louisville, Ky.
    So they don't want any shooting of any kind ??? Man that place is on a bad downward spiral. Come to Silver Creek. We'd love to have ya.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    They still allow shotgun shooting at clays, archery, airguns and muzzleloaders, just no metallic cartridge guns. Not sure how permanent the ban is.

I did just email some people about shooting at Silver Creek. If they get some IDPA going, we would definitely come.

4. Aaron Little

Aaron Little

Aug 21, 2003
    Lexington, KY
    Wow. That is really too bad. I hope they get things worked out. I have never been but I several students that shoot there or at least did shoot there.

5. Berretta9

Berretta9

Feb 22, 2005
    Louisville, Ky.
    Sounds like Hillary is running the place. Or would it be O'Bama

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Since I PMed you a few times a while back about joining so you teach out there, I have to admit I have come to agree with the other people who warned you about it.

7. domzilla9

domzilla9 Phone Flinger

Mar 13, 2003
    PM inbound

8. Aaron Little

Aaron Little

Aug 21, 2003
    Lexington, KY
    No worries Bren.

9. fomeister

fomeister

Nov 5, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    All is not lost. I have commitments that we will have our RO Class, and our USPSA, IDPA, and SASS matches back open real soon, the meeting is Tuesday night, and I think we will prevail. There are some concerns that may or may not be valid, so they have to be treated as real for now. The long term solutions will be costly and slow, but if our matches are saved, we are still in business, but in sleep mode. Let's not overreact just yet, though some think I did by rallying the troops.

10. domzilla9

domzilla9 Phone Flinger

Mar 13, 2003
    This is great news, cause I was gonna cry. Really.

11. rledwards

rledwards Semper Fi

Nov 9, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Probably more like Chicken Little.

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I hope so, but in the mean time, I'm planning to start shooting more at other clubs, like Silver Creek, as soon as I have time to shoot again.

13. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

Oct 20, 2002
    Mm..looks like heaven
    I'm guessing this means no outdoor GSSF shoot this year?

14. fomeister

fomeister

Nov 5, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    There are a few who think the sky is falling for sure. We are a shooting range, not unlike hundreds of others around the country where you and I have shot. There are inherent risks, but the NRA blessed our pits a few years ago. I don't disagree with closing the rifle and GP range and putting in some vision baffles to reduce the height that muzzles can see the backstop, but I totally think the pits are as safe as any I have seen in the US. We have insurance. I just don't get it, and I intend to do everything I can to get those ranges open.

15. domzilla9

domzilla9 Phone Flinger

Mar 13, 2003
    I joined IDPA today. Give us a month or two and we'll have an IDPA match at SilverCreek. I don't know what day day it will be but if you have a suggestion for me please pm me.

16. Berretta9

Berretta9

Feb 22, 2005
    Louisville, Ky.
    Even if they start shooting there again, who knows for how long. Whoever is running the place has lost it. Do you guys get you memebership dues back since they are not delivering what they sold you ( a club with pistol and rifle ranges) ??

17. fomeister

fomeister

Nov 5, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    While I understand that POV, it is premature. Besides, for me, there is no other place to go.

18. Let me know if I can be of help. I don't profess to be an expert by any means, but I have been shooting IDPA for a little over a year. You are welcome to pick my brain, but I also know some folks who can answers almost all of our questions about putting together a club, too. I would be willing to take the SO course if we could get one together and help out at some of the local matches. too.

A local Louisville area club? That sounds very exciting!

19. Houngan

Houngan

Jun 25, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    I would be game for any Saturday, or the first Sunday (replacing the BGSL USPSA match.)

Did confirmations ever go out for the RO class that was to be held at BGSL? I emailed and sent payment the day I heard about it, but haven't heard anything back.

H.