close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Beware Wilson Combat 47D Magazines...

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by The Expert, Jun 7, 2010.

1. The Expert

The Expert

May 2, 2010
    ...at least if you have a Springfield Armory TRP.

I traded in my SS Loaded and upgraded to the TRP about two months ago.

When I bought the original gun a few years back the 47D 8-round mags from Wilson Combat seemed to dominate the recommendations from just about every direction. They worked great with my loaded.

Not so with my TRP. They are half a hair too short on the follower and the slide doesn't lock back when empty about 75% of the time.

Quick research on other boards revealed this as a prevelant trend. Solution: Trade in the 47D's and get some Chip McCormic mags or some from another reputable retailer.

WC mags might be the best selling 1911 mags out there, but they are not the right tool for the job with a TRP.

2. I use Wilson ETM's instead :whistling:

3. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Tripp Cobra's are the best of the best.

4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    never had problems with 47D's or ETM's in any of my Springfield's (TGO-1, TRP, Trophy Match, Loaded's)

5. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

Thanks for the heads-up.

You're The Expert.

I have to go check your other twenty posts to finish up my post-doc research.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  6. watarski

watarski

Feb 18, 2008
    NW FL
    I had the same problem with my TRP...and my Wilson CQB.

7. Tactical black

Tactical black

Jan 24, 2008
    Florida
    :rofl::rofl:

What makes you The Expert?

I've never had any problems with my ETM mags in my kimber or my colt's but I will be sure to stay away from the evil 47d's :supergrin:

8. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Very true. Nothing beats a Cobra. :rofl:

9. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    I use the ETM's and the Tripps, in my SA:supergrin:

10. wilson mag's reliability with springfield 1911's is notoriously hit or miss. (check out 1911forum)

i use SA's factory, and metalform mags. they're $10-$12, and always work :)

11. Infallible

Infallible

Aug 20, 2006
    Viva!
    This. Though to be fair, its not the overall length of the 47d rather its the plastic follower that wears.

12. coal

coal

Dec 20, 2009
    The 1911 does not have an "OEM" mag, meaning every mag is aftermarket really. Use what works in your gun, which vary by brand, model and even run. But, also know it can be the gun that has the issue, not the mag. It could be as simple as an out-of-spec slide stop. So, this thread could have been titled "Beware TRP with 47D mags"...

13. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Arkansas
    Wilson 47d's?? Oh, yeah, I have about 30 of them. Never a failure. Of course, I have only run them in Wilson, Nighthawks, and Kimbers....silly me......:whistling:

Disclaimer...no Springfield 1911s were harmed in the making of this post!!!:rofl::rofl:

14. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    First thing I would do is call Wilson, they have great customer service. If you can't work out a deal with them to upgrade to the EMT mags order some Tripp rebuild kits. They should take care of the problem.

http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

15. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

Dec 30, 2007
    Tennessee
    I have a bunch of 47D's, and my experience is they are a nice mag. The spring is a little weak and the plastic follower can get tired. When they go, they go quick. You can either replace the guts with Wilson parts or do what I have been doing...When I have a 47D go "south", I mark it and replace the spring and follower with one of the Tripp Super 7 Kits. You will loose a round of capacity, but as of right now, that is the one and only setup where I can honestly say I have never had a single mag related malfunction. The Super 7 kit has solved feeding issues in even my most picky 1911's.

16. hi-power man

hi-power man Silver Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Kentucky
    Tripp's have been the best for me, second is Metalform. I tried Wilson but ended up rebuilding with Tripp kits. I'm shooting Novak Custom Colt Commander and stock DW Valor.

17. bdoub1eu

bdoub1eu

Oct 8, 2009
    NC
    Bought a TRP last month and after reading over some of the threads about the Wilson's being hit or miss, I opted for the CMC powermags...They (and the TRP) have been flawless.

But I have heard great things about the 47D's - Like everyone else says, find what works in your TRP and stick with it.

18. brisk21

brisk21

May 13, 2008
    Michigan
    CMC 10 round power+ mags have worked perfectly in my TRP. I plan on getting some 8 rounders as well, but Im in no hurry because the metalform 7 rounders have worked perfectly also.

19. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

Dec 30, 2007
    Tennessee
    I just did a restock on the CMC Powermags from MidwayUSA last week. They had the 8-rounders on sale for twenty one bucks and some change.....A great deal!