close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Beware of Flood-Damaged Vehicles for Sale

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by isuzu, Sep 28, 2009.

1. isuzu

isuzu

Jul 3, 2005
    North America
    In the next few months to probably the next two years, one may encounter a used vehicle that is being sold at prices that are lower than the current used prices. These could be vehicles that have been written off because of extensive water damage caused by the recent floods.

Although problems may not be encountered in the first year after purchasing a flood-damaged vehicle, more serious problems such as corrosion on the body, and worse, corrosion on the electrical systems will eventually appear.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. I read somewhere that some of the vehicles being destroyed in movies are those which can't be sold by dealers due to flood damage. The US government also got a bunch of Piper (or was it Cessna?) twin-engine planes which were new when they got flooded, and used them for crash testing.

3. Clusterbomb

Clusterbomb

Jan 22, 2008
    My worry is those less-than-honest car owners who will try to sell their waterlogged cars AT current used car prices. Syempre, marami dyan na hindi aamin. Plano ko pa naman bumili nxt year. I guess I have to save up for a brand new car just to be safe.

4. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Oct 1, 2002
    California
    Isuzu, may tips ka ba kung pano ayusin yung mga kotseng nalubog? May pag-asa pa ba yung electronics ng sasakyan?

5. Baka marami din mga brand new na nalubog:supergrin:

At least may warranty...

6. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

Nov 25, 2003
    Andaming brand new cars not covered by "Acts of God". Tsk.

7. Wp.22

Wp.22

Jan 17, 2005
    philippines
    Brand new cars from dealership na nalubog papadala yan sa mga provicial delaers nila na hindi affcetd ng flooding.

8. Clusterbomb

Clusterbomb

Jan 22, 2008
    What do you call that electronic component/box that controls the fuel injection? Yun pa lang daw Php30K+ na ang brand new replacement.

Kikita ng husto ang mga talyer dito! Pero kahit yata ipa-detail mo yung sasakyan di na babalik yung original na look and smell nya. Sa US ba pinagtyatyagaan pa nilang ipagawa at gastusan yung mga nalubog na sasakyan (Hurricance Katrina comes to mind)?

9. Wp.22

Wp.22

Jan 17, 2005
    philippines
    ECU sir ang tawag sa computer box that controls the injection air fuel ratio ( sa honda cars)

10. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

Sep 16, 2006
    Philippines
    my car was half sinked during the flood. what i did is disconnect the battery during the flood, after the flood i removed the computer box and washed it with water and soap, then dried it with a hair drier, then washed it again with alcohol, lighter fluid is much better, then dried it again with the drier. haven't tested it yes because i need to change the engine oil and gear oil. but the same thing we did to my friend's honda's computer box, no problem at all.

11. Wp.22

Wp.22

Jan 17, 2005
    philippines
    "If your car has been submerged in water deep enough to reach base of windshield DO NOT attempt to start car without changing oil, oil filter and drying out combustion chamber, electrical systems. Those with EFI engines should remove their ECUs clean and dry them out with nonresidue electrical/electronics cleaner if possible to avoid further damage. Best is to have them checked and attended to ASAP without starting them beforehand. DISCONNECT the batteries ASAP."

12. Wp.22

Wp.22

Jan 17, 2005
    philippines
    Saki ganito ba nangyari sayo

[​IMG]

13. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

Sep 16, 2006
    Philippines
    kawawa naman may ari, buti naman di ganyan inabot ng kotse ko...

14. maraf

maraf

Jul 8, 2009
    Avoid using any alcohol based formula on the ECU or in layman's computer box. It will remove the varnish layer that protects the circuit on the board. Just wash it down with clean water if you don't have a contact cleaner and allow to dry with air dryer or blower.

The first to save in your car is the ECU, engine and transmission.

15. I hope the ECU works as the flood waters appear to be like mud

16. maraf

maraf

Jul 8, 2009
    Mud increases the deterioration of the electric/electronic circuit and system and accelerates rust formation

17. productionguy

productionguy what a move!!!!

Dec 11, 2006
    in the province
    kaya ayoko ng efi na oto,hirap i maintain..with carburator car madali lang ayusin kahit nalubog sa baha...
    kanina sa toyota balintawak ayaw ng tumanggap ng service,ung camry at fortuner ng mga kaibigan ko dito sa bulacan aabutin ng more than 4 months bago masimulan magawa..
    kaya ang naging solusyon nila is to buy 5 brand new diesel suv para may magamit sila.5 cars din kasi nalubog sa kanila.

18. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

Sep 16, 2006
    Philippines
    oh i see, so alcohol based solutions are bad. it's good thing i finished it with a contact cleaner that has a protector film after it dries.

19. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    kailangan din ata magparepack ng grasa sa ball joints

20. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    May computer box ba mga diesel?