close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Best way to remove new Front Sight?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by scrap11, Jan 23, 2011.

1. scrap11

scrap11

Mar 19, 2004
    Harrisburg, PA
    I was trying to remove one of the newer screw post front sights and I found my 3/16" nut driver would not work. The edges of the nut were too close to the nose ring on the slide and the side walls of the nut driver were too thick. Anyone have a good solution? Thanks

-jd

2. PaLEOjd

PaLEOjd

Jun 1, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    You need to grind down the edges of the driver. I made my own tool this way and it works fine.

3. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

Jul 26, 2008
    Grinder to thin the walls on your nutdriver or buy cheap tool. Ameriglo sends one with it's site purchases free, so suspect they might have them cheap.

If it's the plastic one with the screw your talking about, sure you could still rip it off with pliers, but then your just going to be in the same spot on installing the new one.

4. There is a front site tool. You can find them on the internet.

5. Noponer

Noponer

Apr 5, 2006
    North Georgia
    Not really. The screw in the factory plastic sights are farther forward than those in most aftermarket sights; aftermarket sights have more clearance at the front of the gun (muzzle end). I just checked a factory sight against an Ameriglo sight.

I noticed the forward placement of the factory screw the first time I tried to remove one. Like the OP, I could not get a good grip on the screw with my 3/16" driver, so I pulled that one out with pliers. Since then, I have modified a driver (as you indicate in the first part of your post) to fit over the factory screws so I can remove them without having to destroy them.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  6. Dawson also provides a tool with their front sight as well.

7. Trvlngnrs

Trvlngnrs

Oct 21, 2009
    I went to the local pawn shop and bought the appropriate sized nut driver (looks like a screwdriver). I then filed the edge of the nut portion. Works great and cost approx $0.50.

Trvlngnrs

8. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

Jan 31, 2003
    La Porte Texas
    The "BEST" way is a Glock front sight tool, there are just some other ways to do it as well

9. Powerkicker

Powerkicker

May 22, 2007
    The front sight tool that came with my night sight set was too thick in the wall too. I thinned it with a file. Worked fine then.

10. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    XS sends a front sight tool and a rear punch as well and lock tight and a plastic bag and a some cardboard and instructions and a staple and :supergrin:

11. twag4

twag4

Feb 28, 2010
    Alabama
    I have a front site tool and had the same problem you are talking about with my new G19 in November. I ground a little off of the front site tool and it worked.

12. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Dec 17, 1998
    Minnesota