close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Best virus protection

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ChrisJn, Jul 25, 2010.

1. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    I appreciate this subject has been discussed many times but I have taken all I can with my wife's PC. Three different viruses in as many months with Mcafee installed! I just don't think it(Mcafee) is "fit for purpose".
    I have done a "clean install" and if I get just one more it's going in the garbage and I'll replace it with a MAC.
    Any expert like to suggest an alternative PC virus protection?
    Thanks in advance.

2. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    Microsoft Security Essentials is about as good any antivirus program and it has antispyware. IObit Security 360 is a good free add-on antispyware protection program and ThreatFire is a good behavioral protection program for free. Run all three of these programs.

Security Essentials for XP

http://filehippo.com/download_security_essentials_xp/

Security Essentials for Vista (32 bit)

http://filehippo.com/download_security_essentials_vista/

Security Essentials for 64 Vista

http://filehippo.com/download_security_essentials_vista_64/

ThreatFire

http://download.cnet.com/ThreatFire...26873.html?part=dl-6257086&subj=dl&tag=button

http://majorgeeks.com/IObit_Security_360_d6088.html

Make sure McAfee is completely uninstalled before installing these. Windows Defender will have to be uninstalled also as Microsoft Security Essentials replaces it.

3. RDW

RDW BTDT

Mar 12, 2003
    PRK
  4. AmericanGunWorks

AmericanGunWorks In IL HELP ME

Mac.

But on my work laptop I did install Microsoft security essentials and it has been fine thus far. But then again I use good net ettiquette on this machine so there's less chance of virus' on this one.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    :agree:

I'm curious though.. is McAfee up to date, or are you using a version from 05 that has never been updated? I fixed a PC the other day w/ this. Lady couldn't understand how she had a virus when she ran McAfee, but it hadn't been updated in almost 3yrs.

If you insist on sticking with Windows, I like Avast and AVG. Bottom line though, security comes down to the yoyo pounding on the keys.

IGF

6. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Sep 3, 2008
    Linux Live CD - so they can't screw it up.

BTW, if you're getting that many viruses, it's the user, not the OS. Mac and Linux are just a smaller user base that isn't targeted.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    That's only partly true...

While Linux and Mac are a smaller target, the way the OS designed makes it *less vulnerable*(not invulnerable) to the point that virus writers not only have to have the skill to write the virus, but have to trick the user into giving the program root access in order for it to do any good. If a Linux system is properly set up(with proper user accounts, etc..) the worst a virus can do, is infect a user, rather than the whole system(which usually happens w/ a PC)

IGF

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  8. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    I know. That's what I told her!
    I've had a Mac for 20+ years and never had a virus.

9. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    Indy,
    Regarding your last paragraph, see my last post!

McAfee is up to date and machine is less than two years old. I think she is finally convinced that her next machine will be a Mac.

10. hagar

hagar Millennium Member

Sep 7, 1999
    Columbia, SC
    Not sure what one would pay for it, I get it for free through my work, but Trend Micro is #1. I never pick up bad stuff any more, no annoying cookies, malware or viruses. None, zilch, nada. I can run Spybot or Malwarebytes, comes back clean.

11. W4CNG

W4CNG

Sep 19, 2002
    In the Gun Room
    Yes +1 on the Mac. I have two Windows machines, box and laptop. When either dies, I get another MAC. I have a Mac Book Pro and an iMac. Both run great!

12. bigez

bigez

Feb 9, 2007
    NC
    Virus Protection programs suck. And it's hard for them to keep up with other mal-ware/spyware too.

I switched to Faronics "Deep Freeze" and have NEVER looked back.

13. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    Well, if it's the OS we want to include...

Windows 7 with UAC on HIGH, and Microsoft Security Essentials.

I have been hit (on purpose) at least 10 times now, and unless I answer the question wrong, nothing installs. This includes some really nice "drive by" viruses...

Linux is a good sandbox on Win7. Liking openSUSE these days (KDE man, Gnome rubs me the wrong way) and it's been good, although it will go "unresponsive" with Firefox from time to time forcing a kill job.

I just think Windows 7 and the UAC turned up is Da Bomb so far!

HTH...

14. katana_user

katana_user

Oct 2, 2009
    Iowa
    I'd like you to hit this site with your wife's pc. Lets see if ESET can cure what's wrong.

http://www.eset.com/online-scanner

With all respect, it's NOT like what gun is best. ESET is better. try it and see. McAfee... crap. Norton... better but still not perfect.

With ESET I have yet to get a virus on 3 PC's. :shocked: That's in a 3 year period.

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  16. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    Thanks. I have bookmarked it for future use.