close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best value piston driven AR?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Eric2340, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Glock Man_G19

Glock Man_G19
    Expand Collapse

Great info guys.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. madecov

madecov
    Expand Collapse
    book em' Danno

I like Stag products as a general rule for a non custom build as opposed to RRA and Bushmaster.

I have not seen or handled the newest piston Stag but that's the one I would look at since they've been in business for so long and offer a decent warranty.

3. jbremount

jbremount
    Expand Collapse

IMO, reading the tea leaves/etc, there will become ever increasing choices of piston guns to choose from. FWIK, the CMMG and Stag are very similar in design and pricing. The Adams Arms conversion kits and the Sig new piston gun are also quite similar. The Adams Arms is establishing a solid track record with piston shooters. These are all short stroke systems and not a whole lot different in pricings. The Sig is not out yet, but their reputation is usually one of quality. Personally, I would continue doing research on all the brands. Keep the money under your hat/ save until you have the funds to get the piston gun you want. Look for quality and reliability. This way, you only buy once and are satisfied with your purchase.

4. GlockLovin

GlockLovin
    Expand Collapse
    No, its a Glock

My LWRC is pretty hard to beat so you must have a nice LMT there.

5. phxfa

phxfa
    Expand Collapse

Not really, just comparing performance/reliabilty between the two guns.
    My LWRC in 6.8 has had issues since new and is back at the factory, the LMT runs flawlessly. going to SHOT tomorrow havin a little chat with em,,,

6. Kilroy

Kilroy
    Expand Collapse
    JAFMP
    Millennium Member

You will have to spend some money to gain life saving quality.

If your lane makes the Mini-14 or Kel-Tec attractive, I'd suggest the Mini, a lot of ammo, some good (OEM) magazines and a training class.

7. crenca

crenca
    Expand Collapse

Do you or anyone else make a 18-18.5 inch piston upper or complete rifle?

8. pleaforwar

pleaforwar
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry but we do not build piston uppers in the 18-18.5" configuration. We do, however, build them in the DI flavor. :thumbsup:

Addax 18" SPR Upper

#28 pleaforwar, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  9. sleepygreen

sleepygreen
    Expand Collapse

I bought my piston driven bushmaster lightly used for $1200.

10. 4lifeglocker

4lifeglocker
    Expand Collapse

+1 For LMT got over 400 rounds on her and she is flawless

11. chewybaca67

chewybaca67
    Expand Collapse

I'm lookin' at either a Stag or Ruger sr-556. The thing I like about the Ruger is I get 3 magpull mags, to with all my other AR mags, and it's already got all the bells and whistles I'd ever want on an AR. Plus, the rail is pinned in so it won't start loosenin' itself up. Pretty good stuff on there for the price.

12. phxfa

phxfa
    Expand Collapse

The LMT rail is monolithic, aint ever comin off! :cool:

13. Kentak

Kentak
    Expand Collapse

Just some thoughts about the Ruger.

No one pays anywhere close to the $2G MSRP. I think 1500 is on the high side of a typical street price now, and you should be able to do better.

Consider it comes standard with the excellent Troy BUIS and Troy rail. If those are items you might have paid for to add to another make, that 1500 begins to look darn attractive. The lower has a nice rubberized grip (I forget the maker). The three Pmags thrown in is minor, but it's a nice touch, as is the soft case included.

I'm very impressed with mine and look forward to really putting a lot more rounds downrange when our state operated ranges open in the spring.

14. internal

internal
    Expand Collapse

Like others have said, you don't charge $1500+ and have the barrel come in a 1/9 twist.

That's just a no no.

15. Kentak

Kentak
    Expand Collapse

This is an honest question, I'm not looking to start any arguments. Can you explain what you mean? I understand the 1/7 has the edge on stabilizing the longer bullets, but what would that have to do with the price of the gun?

I have heard Ruger spokesmen and others who have said they have obtained very good accuracy with heavier bullets. I, myself, haven't shot anything heavier than 70 gr with my guns, mostly due to sticking with cheaper ball ammo. I'll definitely be trying some of the heavier stuff this spring, as my curiosity has been aroused now.

Added later: Anyone?

#35 Kentak, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  16. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846
    Expand Collapse

17. jobob

jobob
    Expand Collapse

POF makes a great 18" piston. I've been shooting an upper for 3 years as my main 3gun match rifle. 1" groups at 100 yards and dead reliable. Here:
    http://www.pof-usa.com/main.htm

FYI, I've seen some comments on other forums that their customer service can be hit or miss lately. My experience has been good, though.