close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Best USAF experience

Discussion in 'The US Air Force Forum' started by TSAX, Feb 5, 2011.

1. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    Basic Training - Confidence course was fun.

Security Forces Academy - All the cool guns we shot and going into town.

Active Duty - The life long friends I made.

Veteran - No trips to really hot places with lots of sand and having to wear MOPP gear, although some people lost weight in those suits :supergrin:

2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    My best experience was and shall remain classified. You know how it is.

3. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    My best experience was the entire 21 years that past so fast.
    Looking back, it seems it was just the blink of an eye.

4. Ralff

Ralff

Sep 10, 2008
    Central FL
    Yes. Basic and tech school seemed to take 10 years to get through, but the following 10 just blew past.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I was Gen Tommy Franks' Aircraft Crew Chief from mid 2000 to early 2002.
    On September 11, 2001 we landed at a location overseas for a routine
    AOR trip. Little did we know but about four hours later the Twin Towers were struck.
    We departed for the US in the early morning hours of 12 Spetember 2001.
    We were one of only 12 aircraft airborne that day in United States airspace over Washington DC.

6. USAFE7

USAFE7 Retired USAF-SP

Feb 5, 2011
    Alabama
    The best? There were really thousands of them, the friends, the bars, the fun....I really can't single just one out.
    Now the worst would be a lot easier but, I don't like thinking or talking about them.

7. USAF 94535

USAF 94535

Dec 7, 2010
    Travis AFB
    tech school was fun but the best was the going away parties and welcome to the squadron ones every two weeks. a great reason for a drunk fest

8. Flattop67

Flattop67

Aug 18, 2009
    Way to the Right
    The Best: The first 18yrs.
    The Worst: The last 2yrs.

9. gardy90

gardy90

Jan 8, 2011
    basic had some good memories but by far the best times ive had have been out in the missile field, driving from site to site, usualy in a blizard haha

10. meeko

meeko

Apr 15, 2006
    Looking back the best were the 5 years I spent at Eaker (Blytheville) AFB AR. Had a lot of good times, working wasn't really work. Giant Sword, EST and ABGD FTX's at Little Rock. Sad thing is we couldn't wait to get out of there and none of us knew how good we had it til it closed and we moved on!

11. usafsfvet

usafsfvet

Jan 30, 2011
    Some of my best experiences involved deployments to Kuwait pre 9/11 (around the 1999-2000 time frame). Back then, we used to be able to venture out to the markets without any problems. I remember being able to visit <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:placeName w:st="on">Kuwait</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">City</st1:placeType> and dined at a restaurant in one of the towers right off of the <st1:place w:st="on">Mediterranean</st1:place>. I was impressed with that region as it was a nicer area of the country, where as most of it was littered with trash or dead camels along the side of the road, Bedouins tending flocks of sheep, and things left over from the first gulf war. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

After 9/11, deployments to the mideast were more frequent and quite tumultous, particularly in the past couple of years.

12. Ralff

Ralff

Sep 10, 2008
    Central FL

I deployed to Kuwait late 02 early 03. The first weekend we were there, they had an off base trip. I decided not to go because I was tired, thinking I could just go the next weekend. That week they shut down off base travel. I never did get to see Kuwait City. :(

13. VA_lockup

VA_lockup

Oct 29, 2006
    Farmville, VA
    Funniest memory-
    Basic Training. 323rd... SSgt Listenbee walks in after we finished our cleaning and showering after PT and took a huge dump in the latrine and blames it on us. I couldnt help but to laugh my ass off.

Best memory-
    Sitting at Ft. Hood for .50 cal school on the range. apparently their ranges have herds of cattle on them... free roaming cattle.

Worst memory-
    Stuck at the same base the whole time. Ok, so im glad I didnt end up at Minot or some missle base, but Randolph AFB, a headquarters base for EVERYTHING apparently. All we did was look pretty. nothing ever happened there.. ever. For SF, that sucked.

14. usafsfvet

usafsfvet

Jan 30, 2011
    I was at Randolph a few weeks ago...I can see it being mostly an LE base for SF. And since it is the AFPC base, I'm sure a good deal of it is political.

15. VA_lockup

VA_lockup

Oct 29, 2006
    Farmville, VA
    oh yeah... 13 assigned Generals to a base no larger than your local shopping center...

16. usafsfvet

usafsfvet

Jan 30, 2011
    At that point, the mission seems to be more about making sure your uniform is heavily starched and your shoes shined rather than any type of force protection.

I remember we had a base commander who implimented a policy where SF patrols and gate guards had to wear their blues. That didn't last long after 9/11.

17. VA_lockup

VA_lockup

Oct 29, 2006
    Farmville, VA
    you are exactly right. everyday there was someone on the gate that was in dress blues with an M-4. in 120 degree weather, it sucked.

18. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010

Wow, you named dropped, I remember when that TI lost a strip for have "relations" with a trainee and she was hot even the women wanted to do her :supergrin:.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  19. VA_lockup

VA_lockup

Oct 29, 2006
    Farmville, VA
    i am unaware of this. PM me some details!