Best tactical pump shotgun for 2012?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Landmonster, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Wake up guys....Its the VEPR 12 check it out. most tactical you can get. On an AK platform.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Have a 590A1 and also had a 870...one had to go, so I could have the same platform....SOLD the 870 yesterday and ordered another 590A1!

:supergrin:

3. jame

jame mange takk

As for the "bolt ons", that would be essentially correct for all "tactical" shotguns.

As for the complaint about the Express finish:

I hear a lot of complaints about this, and the explanation is simple. Parked guns will rust, too. The finish is porous to allow it to soak up oil from the wipe down with an oily rag, and you do the same with the Remington Express line. My brother carried an Express in and out of duck blinds for years, and it looks fine.

If you want a reliable shotgun, the first step should be to maintain it. Anything else after that is fluff.

4. SGT45

Silver Member

Well, I have owned, or been issued, quite a few PUMP shotguns over 30+ years in LE. Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 590. They are all fine shotguns and worthy of praise! This is just my opinion-

BENELLI SUPERNOVA TACTICAL- WHAT A FINE PIECE OF MACHINERY!

Granted, there are not a lot of after market accessories for Benelli's, but there are enough to get the job done.

5. Gewehr

Gewehr Mad Scientist
    Millennium Member

Ithaca model 37.

6. No, the finish on the Express is truly horrible. It's almost impossible to keep them from rusting.

7. Bull****.

8. I'd show you the photos of the rust but I literally gave that gun away (870 Express made in 2011 that I bought new). Even though I oiled it and live in the desert, the mag tube still got rust spots.

#48 Andrewsky, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  9. Just picked one up yesterday.

10. MrMurphy

MrMurphy *********
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

870 Police Magnum, Mesa sidesaddle, refitted with a MagPul stock and fore-end for a light of your choice (or a Surefire fore-end, which does the same and costs more).

LPA ghost rings if you plan on shooting slugs, a XS tritium Big Dot if you don't.

11. I have two matching 870Ps left, and have a 590A1 #51517 coming. I suspect I may broom the other two 870s as well, even though that is what we are issued and qualify with.

12. What kind of oil?

I've seen some 870's with rust issues, but never one that couldn't be fixed with FrogLube, Breakfree CLP, or Hoppe's Elite oil.

13. I like my Benelli SuperNova Tactical also - I added a mag tube extension and the Mesa Tactical sidesaddle (6 - 8 gets in the way, according to MT). I also added the MT QD sling mount (designed for the 870?) - it works well enough for me. Comes with ghost ring sights, the MT side saddle adds the rail up top, I really prefer the pistol grip on a shotgun, cycles well, takes down easily. I got mine NIB for $369 otd...3-4 years ago.

I have nothing bad to write about the several other popular models listed in previous posts. I just haven't had enough experience with them to write anything at all. I do like that they are probably around the US in significantly greater numbers than the Benelli. Plus, I'm not so hot on Benelli's refusal to export the collapsible stock for the M4...but that's life.

I also have a Benelli Nova pump - just a bare-bones sg there - like that pretty well - it handles well, is easy to take down and clean, solid construction, nice features for a base sg - by no means a tacticool sg, though.

14. MrMurphy

MrMurphy *********
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

I've seen Expresses rust as well, but using a Tuf-Cloth fixed that.