Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Best tactical pump shotgun for 2012?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Landmonster, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Landmonster

Oct 9, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Hello all.

I'm looking to purchase the best 12g pump shotgun for home-defense use. I'm looking for the most current generation of pump-shotguns, by any manufacturer. I'd like it to be as lethal as possible, for use as a deployed weapon.

Here are some traits I want:

• Maximum capacity
    • High reliability
    • Good sights, able to be seen in low-light.
    • Way to carry extra shells on the gun itself
    • Needs a light plus light-mount of some kind.

Preferably, good fit and finish too.

As such, this is gonna be something better than like a basic 870 pump.

I'm new to "tactical" shotguns though, so please advise me where to look.

If I need to start with a base gun, and then accessorize it myself, that's okay. Please advise on the best base gun to start with.

If I can buy my ideal pump shotgun already customized how I want it from the manufacturer, that's fine with me, as long as it isn't too overpriced buying it that way.
  2. Inebriated

Feb 20, 2012
    870 with 18.5" barrel and +2 extension
    Mesa Side Saddle (4, 6, or 8 rounds)
    Speedfeed/Mesa Urbino (both allow extra rounds to be stored on or in the stock, though it does inhibit off-side shooting... plus, they're just top notch stocks)
    Wilson Combat Track Lock ghost rings (they have tritium inserts)
    Surefire forend, or a MagPul forend with the light of your choice. There's also the newish EOTech forend, but I am not aware of its track record.

If you went with the 8-round side saddle, and a stock with ammunition storage (4-rounds, usually), you would get a total of 19 rounds on and in the gun. It will be as reliable as can be, and if you build yourself, it won't break the bank.

3. BearMBD

Feb 9, 2007
    I don't know if its the best but I really like the benelli supernova tactical. I have a cut down benelli nova (18.25" fwiw)that, for me, it is the perfect home defense weapon.
    I do like the 870 tactical models, very lightweight and reliable.
    I do not like the safety on the mossberg 500 with a pistol grip.
  4. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

Aug 8, 2005
    Rocking the Casbah
    A basic 870 is a compromed or flawed gun? You're an idiot filled with fantasy and awfully short on reality.
  5. w30olds

Mar 27, 2003
    Braselton, GA
    If you want "tactical" then look at the Remington 870 Tactical model. Wally World carries them from time to time. It's a basic 870 with a +2 extension. If you want the tactical model with the rail, ghost sights, and +2 extension look at them at the local gun store. These units already have the main features your asking for. These cost a lot more.

But the basic 870 isn't "tacticool". It's reliable, decent price and readily available. Lotta aftermarket parts for it also.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  6. Tango 1Zero

Tango 1Zero Millennium Member

Nov 8, 1999
    I have had Remington 870 and Mossberg 500's
    I prefer the Mossberg. I like the safety and the open bottom for loading. I got use to the mossberg without the loading gate like the 870 and prefer it.
  7. ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    This is one of the most "lethal" shotguns to an opponent, in the hands of a man trained to use it.

This is one of the most "lethal" shotguns to a user, in the hands of a man that hasn't been trained to use it.
  8. deserttactical45

Jan 17, 2011
    I like my Benelli super nova tactical
  9. kendric98

Oct 29, 2008
    Well now if you want Tactical look no farther than APPI our resident shotgun tactical Assembly guru! :whistling:
  10. Landmonster

Oct 9, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    These are some good replies guys.

I'm generally aware that the top contenders are the Rem 870, Mossberg 500 or 590.

The 870 "tactical", is essentially the 870 Express with some bolt-ons, correct?

None of these 870 Expresses or Tacticals have Parkerized finishes do they? That is one of my complaints with the 870.

How does the 590a1 compare? Something like this:,2276&redirect=1&lastnode=1&filterNodes=2276

11. jb1911

Sep 21, 2011
  12. blaster_54738

Jul 24, 2007
    I went with the Benelli SuperNova Tactical. Had an 870 that had issues not loading rounds and when I was younger I had a Mossberg 500 for deer hunting and didn't care for it (safety position, too much play in the forend) The SuperNova is a solid gun
  13. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

Jul 8, 2012
  14. I always thought it was the 870 hands down. No matter how you dress it up or not..... Hmmm maybe its just me.. I have been taught how to use the things I buy and have NO problems with any accessories I have on any my long guns.
  15. 870 police magnum or 590a1 20" model.
    IMO buying a gun in still configuration is more reliable than adding Mag extensions, etc, to them, as they were built that way.

Look up the 870p max....gawk at the price and only pay it once to have a great gun.
  16. esminbritt

esminbritt Elias

Apr 24, 2011
    I liked the feel and the reputation of the 870 tacticals/express. But I didn't like the finish options. Until I found the Marine Magnum. 18.5" barrel. All parts are nickel plated, inside and out. I am very happy with this gun. It maneuvers well, shoots great, recoil is manageable, and hopefully, i can pass it on to my grandkids in 50 years. Either that, or it can survive the elements if the SHTF and I have to trek cross country taggin' zombies.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  17. rkrk

Dec 4, 2006
    I like the Mossberg safety placement as well. I have a two round extension on my 18 inch model with ghost ring sights. No pistol grip for me since it got in the way of me reaching the safety in what I considered to be the preferred position. A side saddle is easy to do if you like (I don't have one) and all i am really left looking for is a light.

I think there are a number of good shotguns that once you get comfortable/adept using will be a good "tactical" gun for you (and able to be dressed up as you like).

18. Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
  19. kyarcher

Oct 18, 2001
    A little harsh aren't we...........
  20. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

Aug 8, 2005
    Rocking the Casbah
    No, it isn't. It was directed at a member of more than a short duration who unquestionably knows how to use the Search function, can browse this forum for umpteen days learning all about shotguns.

There is no "Best" of anything in life and it's foolish to think there is and yet, the question is still asked without one iota of research.

The OP also questioned the integrity of the 870 as though it's a flawed shotgun. Another example of posting without thinking. Even Mossberg fans find the 870 to be a great shotgun and vice versa.

Perhaps I come from a different place and time where, as a stranger to a new group of people, I keep my pie hole shut, look and listen a lot before piping up.

I could have posted quite a bit for the OP but I'm tired of spreading the word to people who prefer not to do a little but of research before asking the entire class to do their homework for them.