close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Survival Knife?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Beware Owner, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Beware Owner

Beware Owner
    Expand Collapse
    NOT a victim.

Self explanatory.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Marine8541

Marine8541
    Expand Collapse
    iseedeadpeople

gerber's LMF II

Most over rated but still popular because people don't put their knives through real training the K BAR.

3. TexanOutWest

TexanOutWest
    Expand Collapse
    I'll Take Point

I really like my CRKT Ultima. My Kershaw Outcast has come in handy a number of times, although it's tad bit larger. I suppose if it came down to only one blade, I probably take my KA-BAR 1265, tanto, serrated, leather handle. I love that knife!

Tex

4. Beware Owner

Beware Owner
    Expand Collapse
    NOT a victim.

No fancy serrated back side for you, huh? Do you prefer a folding saw for those purposes?

5. Big Bird

Big Bird
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Most of the so called "survival knives" on the market are overpriced, overbuilt, oversized, clunky, and marketed for their ability to be used as a crowbar or an axe.

If you have ANY survival experience at all in the field you quickly realize how useless it is to baton wood. Why? Its a total waste of energy and not necessary for any single survival skill. You don't need to split wood to build a shelter, build a fire, or for any other reason. Besides being an unneccessary waste of time and eneergy battoning wood is also dangerous. Yet we see video's of people "testing" their survival knife in their back yard battoning wood... Bogus.

Ditto chopping. You can break ANY stick of wood you need to survive in the crotch of a tree with a lttle leverage. If you can't break it its too big for any survival application. If it for fire just leave it long and feed it into the fire as it burns. Easy...

You need a knife that will cut. Maintain its edge and be easy to sharpen. You need a knife that if you need to dress a game animal its not so big you can't maneuver it around inside a body cavity. You need a knife that can cut fruits and vegetables--not macerate them. You need a knife small enough and thin enough to cut small notches in small branches in traps.

Weight is an issue. A big knife means you will not be able to carry as much stuff.

4" blade...something like a Bark River Bravo 1, or on a budget a good Mora $15 Swedish Carbon blade. The RAT 3 or 4 is also a good option.

6. mesteve2

mesteve2
    Expand Collapse

:embarassed: You KNOW!
    I like posts where people know what the story is!
    I have a Rat 4 and wish it was a 3. So, you are Right on!:wavey:

7. 20South

20South
    Expand Collapse

SOG Seal Pup - Not sure if it qualifies as a "Survival Knife", but its what I carry into the woods and it has never failed me.

8. Marine8541

Marine8541
    Expand Collapse
    iseedeadpeople

I have no clue what your talking about but my LMF II does have a serrated back edge but I don't saw anything of consequence with it. I do carry a bone saw in my kit because of elk hunting that can be used for other uses. For expedient shelter building I use an E Tool to take down small sapling trees but to be honest I haven't done that since survival solo at the USMC MWTC.

#8 Marine8541, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  9. ubersoldat

ubersoldat
    Expand Collapse

Another vote from me as well.

10. Beware Owner

Beware Owner
    Expand Collapse
    NOT a victim.

Either my eyes are failing me or the knife in the pic doesn't have a saw on the back side of the knife, but it does have a half serrated edge.

11. volsbear

volsbear
    Expand Collapse
    IWannaBeSedated
    Lifetime Member

I have a LMF II and a K-Bar. The Gerber seems easier to use. Plus, I just like Gerber knives.

That being said, the only thing I generally have on me is a Gerber Hinderer CLS.

#11 volsbear, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  12. mangkukhan

mangkukhan
    Expand Collapse

Buck Vanguard

13. Marine8541

Marine8541
    Expand Collapse
    iseedeadpeople

I misunderstood, no I would never have one of those saw back knives because it simple comes down to utility and energy output. I don't think they are truly that useful and I'd put out a ton on energy for the payback when using it.

14. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter
    Expand Collapse

i carry a cold steel SRK in the field. i usually have a combination of my CRKT M21, Swiss Army knife and Gerber multi tool on me at all times. the SRK stays in my jeep and goes in my bag when im in the woods.

15. Huntinfool

Huntinfool
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have a few dozen knives but I like my Gerber LMF-ll and even more so my RAT-3 and RAT-5. I know, I know, Big Bird & mesteve2 the 5 is a little on the overkill side but I like it! LOL!

~HF~

16. mrmedina

mrmedina
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

AK bayo knife?........I have folding knifes. But with a M-7 AR15/M16 bayo knife too. I don't know if this good enough, I do need a machete too.

17. quake

quake
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Don't know if I'd claim them as "best", but they're my personal favorites. Small = Gerber freeman guthook fixed blade.
    Large = Marbles ideal. (Basis for the Kabar, but with a thicker, stronger blade.)

If I just 'had' to pick one, it'd be the marbles. Larger than ideal (no pun intended), but it can be made to do most anything the small one can, and the converse isn't as true if I went in the other direction.

Jmo and ymmv obviously.

18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA
    Expand Collapse
    Get off my lawn

I knew a girl that could crack walnuts with her. . . oh, of a TREE. Nevermind.

I'll agree for the most part. Altho I do like knowing I've got a "big blade" to hack thru whatever I need, the basics are a 4-6" knife that's easy to handle and pack. I'd pick the Swamp Rat RatManDu right now -only b/c it's cheap in comparison to a year ago.

19. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

The Gerber LMF series plastic handles will break with batoning. The Ka-bar rat tail tang can also bend and break off with heavy use.

I want something that has a full tang, that has around a 5" blade. Too long and its not good for processing animals and plants. Try to gut a deer, clean a bird or fish, or chop up veggies with a survival knife that has a blade 7" or longer. Too short and the knife is not good for woodworking so you will have difficulties building a shelter and processing firewood. Also I think when you go below a 3" blade you lose some lethality if you need to use the knife in a defensive situation

My suggestions are

Rat-5
    [​IMG]

Gerber Big Rock (cheap alternative at around $30)

[​IMG]

Also there is the Ka-Bar Becker companion

[​IMG]

#19 Bilbo Bagins, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  20. Beware Owner

Beware Owner
    Expand Collapse
    NOT a victim.

Wide drop point 5" full tang is about what I'm looking for, then, correct?