Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Best State to Move to in the West

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by UneasyRider, Sep 23, 2011.

1. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Ok we want to head west. We love being close to the mountains or in the foothills but not perpetual winter. We are thinking something like Utah. Here are our main concerns:

1 Gun friendly
    2 Small city or large town (Super Walmart and Hospital)
    3 Low tax rates
    4 Good real estate prices
    5 Not a ground zero location
    6 Decent employment market
    7 More stuff that we pobably are not thinking of

Any ideas?
  2. Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Does this have to be in the US?

3. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
  4. My hope is to one day move to Oregon, Idaho or Montana.

No sales tax in Oregon and you dont pump your own gas. :)
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  5. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
    Utah drivers are the worst in the world...other than that it's a great place to live. If you have respiratory problems you may want to avoid Salt Lake country.

Low crime, nice people, very pro gun, lots of prepared people.
  6. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Feb 11, 2002
    California Sierra Mnts
    This is my choice also.
  7. im liking TN the longer i'm here even if its not west enough.
  8. 3.slow

Dec 20, 2010
    what candidate outside the us can you think of with these requirements
  9. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    Pretty close to my wish list. I'd want enough private land to have a nice shooting range. Ideally at least 100 acres.... that's almost half a mile by half a mile square. I'd like a lot more than that but land ain't THAT cheap, at least in the areas I would like.

I'd like temperate weather. Not too hot, not too cold or snowy. Much easier to exist if fuel or power is a problem. I'm more of a forest/mountain person than I am a desert person.

Getting older so don't want to be too far from a major hospital. Don't want to have to drive 15 minutes or more just to get groceries or take out.

Leaning toward Tennessee or maybe Utah or Oregon or even Washington (state obviously). I hear the Dakotas are doing pretty well economically.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  10. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    I got 50ac in Madison county NC for $500 per in the early 90s.Bought and paid fer.I'll be buried there.'08.
  11. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA

OZ!...Just kidding!...Montana or Idaho has my vote.
  12. bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    My dad was fortunate that he was always moving to the newest suburb at the end of the highway. Those days are gone.
    1. If you have airconditioning, you can live anywhere.
    2. If you have a car and can drive in non rushhour traffic to a doctor's appointment, you are golden.
    3. If you can walk a mile, count your blessings and forget about plowing the back 40 with a mule.
    4. There are valid reasons why older people move into apartments.
    I had a client who had a wonderful personality and could make friends where ever she went. She went to retirement communities outside Las Vegas and rented cheap from savy investors who bought retirement second homes. She loved to gamble and airconditioning was always available.

I belong to the YMCA. The City has vans for disabled people to bring them every day. The local bus service is still available to seniors for a quarter. Dunno about Wyoming. My 92 year old step mother still drives - because I renewed her license on line!

My older brother retired. The promised $150 an hour consulting jobs have still not come through. Another brother was laid off from his 9-5 job about 10 years ago. I know that they voted for Obama. They will still be waiting for the promised jobs at the time of the next Presidential election too.
  13. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    The U.S. is a must.
  14. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    We have been to all of the states except WA and NE. We really love the the CO, MT, WY, UT, ID?, areas to look at but how about the winters?

What do you think about southern parts of CO or UT? Is it warmer? Is it a good place to live? Would we be better off going north with more snow and cold?

Also my wife does not want to live in the heart of mormon country so somewhere with a Christian population is going to be important to her. So across the street from BYU would be a problem for her, but having lots of mormons around would not.
  15. nevnut

Feb 2, 2011
    Carlin, NV
    Elko, Nevada fits your list almost perfectly. I grew up there and live twenty miles away in Carlin. We have gold mining here so there are plenty of jobs. Most people who pass thru think this area is ugly, I tell those people to please stay on I80 and keep going. We have some of the most beautiful ares in the country, you just have to explore a little.
  16. Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    I don't know....Just thinking in the US there are few/no candidates.

Good job market - Wyoming? Be real.

I have to this day and age, why is "ground Zero" a requirement and whta do you define as that? And what kind of job market? Farm hand, stock broker, MD, retail clerk, movie star?
  17. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

Aug 19, 2010
    If I chose to go west I would def check out utah, I've also heard alot about the people there prepared for the worse and PRO guns
  18. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
  19. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Several cities and towns in Central Texas would fit your requirements.
  20. joeface

Dec 6, 2009
    Cabarrus Co. NC
    Alchohol laws are screwy thouugh. If you like to drink you may want to think twice.