close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Best SD ammo for 36

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Hubadub, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Hi folks,I`m totally new to .45 cal. handguns and have just purchased a model 36. Can anyone tell me the best self defense round for this handgun? I bought some 165 gr.Powerball +p when I bought the gun and I was wondering what is really best.It seems that all the ballistic tests used a 5 inch barrel and as the 36 has a 3.78 in. barrel,I was wondering what was the best round.Any suggestions? Thanks to all.

2. Yes,the DPX ammunition is a formidable round indeed.

3. Snapper2

Snapper2

Feb 22, 2008
    s.east Texas
    I have a g30 and have run wet pack test.Dpx penetrates good and expands every time. My next favorite is 230gr ranger t. But all the major brands will work as long as you are accurate with them. That should matter the most.

4. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002
    My G36 devours everything I put down its throat. What ever you use make sure it is reliable in your gun, and acurate as well. You ask. Mine (all my 45's short barrel to 5") all carry 230gr XTP-TAP, and 230gr ball ammo.

Choice is yours. I do suggest staying with a 230gr rd.

Good luck
    enjoy your gun.

CanyonMan

5. ABNAK

ABNAK

Apr 22, 2005
    Tennessee
    I have 230gr HST +P's in mine. It will get your attention when firing it! If I was shooting IDPA or IPSC and was concerned about follow-up times I might step it down, but for close range self defense I feel like those things would blow your spine out! :dunno:

6. Brent10mm

Brent10mm

Apr 6, 2009
    Spo, W.A.
    My G36 is full of Win Ranger T's 230gr.

here are some pics of bullets fired out of a G36 into a garbage can filled with water... quarter for reference

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Federal HST 230gr.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

speer max loads, blue dot, the top is 230gr, the bottom 200gr.
    [​IMG]

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Nice pics Brent.

CM

8. pitt1011

pitt1011

Mar 31, 2009
    Nice pics for reference.

IMO, I liked Speer Gold Dot 230 grn when I carried a G36

9. acpd442

acpd442

Nov 15, 2007
    Coastal, SC
    I stoke mine with 230 gr Hydra Shoks as per dept. policy. Would like to carry some of the Gold Dot rounds or some of the other rounds listed above. Good choice on you Home defense piece though. I love mine to death. Compact and very comfortable to carry IWB all day.