close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Best range in Baton Rouge

Discussion in 'The Bayou Club' started by M.Smith, Sep 3, 2005.

1. M.Smith

M.Smith

Oct 18, 2004
    south louisiana
    What would be a good range in Baton Rouge for some on from out of town to go shoot? Seems now everyone wants to learn how to shoot.

2. Nurseman

Nurseman

Aug 9, 2005
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Precision Range off of seigen 225 754-7263 open 10-10 m-sat and 12-6 on sun. It was busy today but if you go in the evenings during the week you can get private lessons for $35/hr. Range fee $15 men, women are free. Targets are $0.99 handgun rental is $10 Ammo is a bit overpriced but there is an acadamy sports down the street (Al. Blazer is allowed)

3. M.Smith

M.Smith

Oct 18, 2004
    south louisiana
    Thanks for the info. I got guns & ammo & family who never shot a handgun who now want to learn. Funny how popular the "gun nut" gets when things get difficult.

4. tthame1

tthame1

Oct 4, 2004
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am not really fond of Precision. They are overpriced and the people that work there are about as unfriendly as they come.

I personally shoot at Red Stick Firearms. They have a nice range and much better prices. Not to mention that they build some REALLY nice custom firearms.

5. Nurseman

Nurseman

Aug 9, 2005
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Overpriced is a relative term but I would agree that Red Stick is cheaper. I just don't like the area of town is is in. As far as the staff at precision. I know all of them and think they are very helpfull, without any attitude. I went in as a first time gun owner and received tons of help and good advice. The only time I have seen them be rude is with Know-it-alls who do unsafe things at the range.

6. mrwiggins

mrwiggins lookout ladies

May 31, 2004
    Louisiana
    i've been wanting to go to redstick, but I've only been to percision. I loved shooting steel plates in the A/C

7. prezzz

prezzz

Aug 26, 2003
    Zachary, Louisiana
    Red Stick is okay, but a major drawback is that they have no restrictions on the firearms allowed. So you can be shooting a handgun and the person next to you could be blasting away with his new AK-47 just to see how fast he can unload his 40 round mag. That's anoying when you're trying to sight in a new pistol. That's when I learned to bring my Russian M44 with some high pressure (60,000 psi) machine gun 7.62x54R ammo. I send 4 or 5 rounds down range and will have my own range 3 minutes later. The concusion is so obnoxious indoors, it sends everybody home!!:) [​IMG]

8. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Nov 12, 2005
    Louisiana
    I've been to Precision twice, my only 2 times at a gun range. The first time, the person was not very friendly. I was new to it all and I seemed to irk him for whatever reason.

The 2nd time, the person was very very helpful, and answered a lot of questions for me.

Since there was a 7 month gap in between those visits, it might be the same guy lol , just with different facial hair.

But either way, I went there again because I was familiar with the it, and I was pleased. I'll definatly go back. I noticed maybe the gun prices were high, but the shooting prices were decent from what I've heard about other ranges.

9. rhans405

rhans405 In God I Trust CLM

Dec 21, 2004
    Deep South
    I've bought 3 guns from Precision this past year, all three were near gun show prices. I enjoy going there although it's been somewhat crowded since Katrina.

10. hunter5567

hunter5567

Dec 4, 2005
    Walker, LA
    You have to deal with Kevin up there on the guns.
    They do have high prices on guns but occasionally a bargain
    springs forth.
    You can get a year membership there for $200 and shoot
    all you want.
    There is another range in Baker to shoot and you can shoot
    anything in there. There is a sand bank to shoot in to.
    Haven't been out there in years.
    Redstick is a cheaper place to shoot on S. Choctaw by Monterey Blvd.
    But as indicated, you might be next to a blaster.
    I guess thats a factor with anywhere you shoot.
    I just wear ear plugs and muffs.
    I guess the mentality where they got to blast off the
    whole clip can be irksome as well.
    Also, there is the range at Sherbourne WMA.
    There is a 100 yard rifle and 50 yard pistol range plus a
    skeet range there. Its free to shoot just have to drive there--about 50 miles from BR. Easiest way I have seen is to go up 190 till you get almost to Krotz Springs and take a rt at the foot of the bridge and then back over to the left across the railroad tracks.
    Its a few miles down the gravel road on the left. You'll see the game warden complex on the left, small pond, etc next to the
    river. There is camping there also.
    good shooting

11. dawg23

dawg23 Resident Dimwit

Feb 20, 2001
    Louisiana
    If you consider the gun prices at Precision to be high, you just haven't been doing much shopping. Usually $100 below Jim's prices, usually $50 below Bowie, and usually with a few bucks of Hebert's.

Their prices for shooting are pretty reasonable:

* Guys pay $15 per day. For all day. Come back as many times that day as you want during that day at no extra charge.

* Women shoot FREE - all day, every day!!

* Buy a membership and shoot as much as you want with no extra fees.

Ten pistol lanes with electric target holders, plus a 25 yd. rifle range, plus a plate rack lane. All indoors, central heat and A/C. Clean restroom.

What more do you want ??

12. pangris

pangris Moderator Moderator

May 19, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    I have to say that I find the staff at Precision to be very friendly and helpful... I've also found a couple fantastic deals there. The range is also nice and clean. As noted, Kevin is great to deal with. Introduced me to the 9x23 with a phenom deal.

Red Stick is, IMHO, a health hazard. The range is a lead dust nightmare. Staff is nice enough, but I won't shoot there.

Paul

13. BurningDog

BurningDog

Oct 2, 2002
    Louisiana
    +1

I shot there one Friday afternoon and then spent the weekend with a killer sore throat.

14. rhans405

Dec 21, 2004
    Deep South
    Precision is good but it's getting crowded lately. I had to wait 30 to 45 minutes the last few times I went before I could get a lane. Baton Rouge really needs a large range with many lanes going out to 25 yards at least.

And the only outdoor ranges are far away.

15. prezzz

prezzz

Aug 26, 2003
    Zachary, Louisiana

Thanks to FEMA.

16. dawg23

dawg23 Resident Dimwit

Feb 20, 2001
    Louisiana
    Like in Port Allen ??

17. rhans405

Dec 21, 2004
    Deep South
    Yep. Never been there. Don't know it's layout. The public range is on the road to Krotz Springs.

18. dawg23

dawg23 Resident Dimwit

Feb 20, 2001
    Louisiana
    Hunter's Run Gun Club is in Port Allen - about 3 miles from downtown Baton Rouge (as the crow flies). It sits about 1/2 mile from the foot of the old (Hwy 190) bridge, next door to the WBR Parish Prison.

Hunter's run is mostly set up for shotgunners (Skeet, Trap, Five Stand and Sporting Clays). All of this is first class, as is the clubhouse - clean restrooms, Central air & heat, big screen TV, leather sofas, snacks & soft drinks, beer and mixed drinks.

You do not have to be a member to shoot shotgun sports, although non-members pay about twice what members pay for a round of skeet or trap or five stand . Must be a member (or be accompanied by a member) to use pistol and rifle ranges.

The pistol & rifle ranges are NOT first class. They are adequate, but not great. As noted above, most of the members are shotgunners.

Pistol range is 40 feet, with about 6 shooting stations.

Rifle ranges are 50 yards and 100 yards with about 6 shooting stations at each.

Managers are great - very friendly, very helpful. LSU students shoot at the member rate.

Edited to correct typo

19. rhans405

Dec 21, 2004
    Deep South
  20. Intel486

Intel486

Dec 18, 2005
    Baton Rouge
    +1

I was coming in here to add that. I will NOT shoot at Red Stick.

Precision's indoor range is nice but depending on who is working there depends on how you'll be treated. One of the owners is acomplete a-hole.

I personally belong to Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club. We have a nice range out in Donaldsonville, LA.