close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best practices for putting away reloading equipment for a while

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by DoctaGlockta, Mar 26, 2013.

1. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

For a lot of reasons I'm going to stop reloading for a while. I'd like to put away my dies, powder measures, presses and do what I can to make sure they say in decent shape. I was thinking of spraying everything down with a light coat of oil (suggestions?) and wrapping things up in wax paper or plastic wrap.

Thanks in advance Gentlemen.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. dkf

dkf

WD-40 will work fine for protecting metal. You can cover the press up with a garbage bad or something to keep off dust. Store misc stuff in a rubbermaid container or something along those lines.

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

If it is for a longer period of time I would use WD 40 FIRST and then wipe with a really oily rag on the outside. WD will evaporate over time but if you use oil right after the WD the WD will help the oil migrate into the cracks. Then use WD to clean it up again and start loading. I would not use the WD on the aluminum powder measure internals. Just some of the more obvious outside parts.

4. fredj338

fredj338

I am not a big fan of WD40 for long term storage. It's fine for removing ruist, but kind of lacquers up over time. A gun oil or even motor oil is a better bet. Damp a rag & wipe everything down. I would NOT use it inside a powder measure though. Put in a box or cabinet w/ desic pack, unless you live in humid Florida, should be fine.

5. trashcat

trashcat

I would use boeshield t-9 some desicant packets and zip-lock bags. In my experience boeshield t-9 works much better than wd-40 on my woodworking tools cast iron surfaces for storage. I only do two or three wood projects per year and live in a high humidity climate. It's a variety of dissolved waxes and anti-corrosion compounds that dries to a slightly waxy surface if you apply a heavy coat.

6. n2extrm

n2extrm

WD 40 is useless long term, light machine oil or a light grease are much better IMHO.
    Even a rag with motor oil as suggested would be good. I have found you can soak metal in WD and leave it in the garage or shop, it will rust before you know it.

7. sellersm

sellersm disciplinare

Once you've followed the advice above, pack it all up and send it to me. I'll be sure it stays functional and well oiled and maintained! :whistling:

Hope there's not a sad story behind this...

8. snowwdog

snowwdog snowwdog

9. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

They make CLP specifically for storage. That's what I'd use. WD-40 isn't very durable.

Do coat them with something, however. I've stored loading equipment before and it can really get rusty if neglected.

10. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I'd store the stuff in carboard boxes and/or paper bags. A light coat of oil on ferrous parts and not worry about it much beyond that.

11. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

I use RemOil spray, both as a final application when cleaning the arms, and for occasionally giving the dies a light coat of protection in the Florida humidity. Easy to apply.

12. SJ 40

SJ 40

Agreed would not use WD-40,instead I would go with either Ezzox or Kroil. SJ 40

13. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

+1

WD-40 is actually a solvent and a degreaser. It breaks up heavier oil, displaces water but then evaporates over time, leaving metal unprotected.

14. xxhaxx

xxhaxx

Quick wipe down with CLP then into a pelican box with desiccant

15. KSUGLocker

KSUGLocker

CLP and ammo cans with a good seal.

16. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

Thanks guys. I called Hornady this morning as I remember getting powder measures from them and they being pretty well protected from the factory.

I seems that they just use C&C cutting/cooling oil to coat metal surfaces and then wrap in wax paper.

I'll look to get some of that.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  17. n2extrm

n2extrm

Best to you and hope all is well. You can still drop by even if your not loading at the time.....in other words keep in touch.

18. Hawker Man

Hawker Man

If it is a Dillon 650, just send it and all of the other equipment you plan to "store" to me. I'll make sure it is well taken care of.

19. tbob38

tbob38

Definitely use Boeshield, definitely not WD40.

20. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

I'll be poking around here and there. This place is too far entertaining to give up.

Kids are getting older and their activities are increasing. Also I've started playing Hockey again 2X week and Lacrosse once a week. Then there is work. Just a time thing.

Cheers.