close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Best practices for putting away reloading equipment for a while

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by DoctaGlockta, Mar 26, 2013.

1. For a lot of reasons I'm going to stop reloading for a while. I'd like to put away my dies, powder measures, presses and do what I can to make sure they say in decent shape. I was thinking of spraying everything down with a light coat of oil (suggestions?) and wrapping things up in wax paper or plastic wrap.

Thanks in advance Gentlemen.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    WD-40 will work fine for protecting metal. You can cover the press up with a garbage bad or something to keep off dust. Store misc stuff in a rubbermaid container or something along those lines.

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    If it is for a longer period of time I would use WD 40 FIRST and then wipe with a really oily rag on the outside. WD will evaporate over time but if you use oil right after the WD the WD will help the oil migrate into the cracks. Then use WD to clean it up again and start loading. I would not use the WD on the aluminum powder measure internals. Just some of the more obvious outside parts.

4. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    I am not a big fan of WD40 for long term storage. It's fine for removing ruist, but kind of lacquers up over time. A gun oil or even motor oil is a better bet. Damp a rag & wipe everything down. I would NOT use it inside a powder measure though. Put in a box or cabinet w/ desic pack, unless you live in humid Florida, should be fine.

5. trashcat

trashcat

Mar 10, 2009
    I would use boeshield t-9 some desicant packets and zip-lock bags. In my experience boeshield t-9 works much better than wd-40 on my woodworking tools cast iron surfaces for storage. I only do two or three wood projects per year and live in a high humidity climate. It's a variety of dissolved waxes and anti-corrosion compounds that dries to a slightly waxy surface if you apply a heavy coat.

6. n2extrm

n2extrm

Feb 24, 2009
    WD 40 is useless long term, light machine oil or a light grease are much better IMHO.
    Even a rag with motor oil as suggested would be good. I have found you can soak metal in WD and leave it in the garage or shop, it will rust before you know it.

7. sellersm

sellersm disciplinare

May 28, 2009
    CO
    Once you've followed the advice above, pack it all up and send it to me. I'll be sure it stays functional and well oiled and maintained! :whistling:

Hope there's not a sad story behind this...

8. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    They make CLP specifically for storage. That's what I'd use. WD-40 isn't very durable.

Do coat them with something, however. I've stored loading equipment before and it can really get rusty if neglected.

9. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    I'd store the stuff in carboard boxes and/or paper bags. A light coat of oil on ferrous parts and not worry about it much beyond that.

10. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    I use RemOil spray, both as a final application when cleaning the arms, and for occasionally giving the dies a light coat of protection in the Florida humidity. Easy to apply.

11. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Agreed would not use WD-40,instead I would go with either Ezzox or Kroil. SJ 40

12. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    +1

WD-40 is actually a solvent and a degreaser. It breaks up heavier oil, displaces water but then evaporates over time, leaving metal unprotected.

13. xxhaxx

xxhaxx

Oct 20, 2012
    Quick wipe down with CLP then into a pelican box with desiccant

14. Thanks guys. I called Hornady this morning as I remember getting powder measures from them and they being pretty well protected from the factory.

I seems that they just use C&C cutting/cooling oil to coat metal surfaces and then wrap in wax paper.

I'll look to get some of that.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  15. n2extrm

n2extrm

Feb 24, 2009
    Best to you and hope all is well. You can still drop by even if your not loading at the time.....in other words keep in touch.

16. Hawker Man

Hawker Man

Nov 8, 2006
    Arkansas
    If it is a Dillon 650, just send it and all of the other equipment you plan to "store" to me. I'll make sure it is well taken care of.

17. tbob38

tbob38

Nov 23, 2012
    Utah's Dixie

Definitely use Boeshield, definitely not WD40.

18. I'll be poking around here and there. This place is too far entertaining to give up.

Kids are getting older and their activities are increasing. Also I've started playing Hockey again 2X week and Lacrosse once a week. Then there is work. Just a time thing.

Cheers.