close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Best place to buy from?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Usingmyrights, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I think I know what camera I want, now I'm wondering what the best online store to buy from is. I love some of the prices I see a couple of the stores, but even though that get "5star" ratings, I hear they are a pain to deal with. So who's the best company to deal with a good price?.

2. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    I've bought digital cameras from Dell.com and BuyDig.com recently and in the past, with nothing but great results.

3. Fred

Fred Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Dec 17, 1998
    CA
    I buy from B&H, BuyDig and Adorama w/o any problems. You might want to check out www.resellerratings.com first before you go with a particular vendor.

4. Curley

Curley

Jun 14, 2004
    DFW, Texas
    Agreed: B&H, buydig.com and Adorama are all legitimate and reputable.

Avoid Broadway Photo and any of its other Internet incarnations like the plague. The reason their prices are so low is because it's gray market merchandise, or they don't include essentials like the battery, recharger, etc. -- stuff that comes in the box.

They'll call you and try to get you to pay extra for items that should be included in the price. :steamed:

FYI, B&H (and maybe Adorama) sell gray-market merchandise, but they tell you up-front if that's the case. And they also offer the U.S. market equivalents, which have a full U.S. warranty.

5. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

May 16, 2006
    VA
    Is something wrong with your local camera store? I always like being able to go in and look over/play with the stuff and ask questions and you do not have to wait to get your stuff. I only buy things online if I can not get it locally.

6. bigzebra

bigzebra

Oct 14, 2005
    Missouri
    I have had great luck with Amazon and B&H.

Do not, and I repeat DO NOT purchase photography equipment from any online retailer where the prices seem too good to be true, because they are!!! They WILL screw you three ways from Sunday!!!

There is of course your local camera store (avoid Wolfe, though). You should not dismiss shopping at your local independent camera shop either.

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    B&H first for me. Then Amazon or Adorama.

B&H usually has better prices and ships FAST.

8. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Oct 3, 2002
    Good point. I just picked up a D300 from my local shop today. I called the owner yesterday, and asked her what a D300 body and MB10 grip would cost me. The price she gave me was less than what I could've gotten online, from a reputable dealer. Especially, since it came with the free version of Nikon Capture NX. :supergrin:

9. Fred

Dec 17, 1998
    CA
    Sometimes depends on where you live. My two local stores will not match a price, and are generally quite a bit higher than an online vendor. Couple that with an 8% sales tax and there is a BIG difference. :shocked:

10. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    My local camera store? The 2004 census shows a population for my town as being 1,392, up from 1,349 in 2000. The guess for 2012 is a population of 1,405. Ok another site shows 13,780, with a population density of 104, so I guess thats the population for the whole mailing area. Point being, there is no "local" camera store. Closest one if probably going to be at least 40 minutes away if there's one in the nearest big town, I'm guessing really an hour+.

11. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

May 16, 2006
    VA
    You still owe the 8% tax since it was mailed into the state you are suppose to pay use tax on it. Now the chances of you getting caught are low (assuming you are not a business) but legally you should pay it.

12. Fred

Dec 17, 1998
    CA
    Of course I'm supposed to pay the tax. The point I was trying to make is the huge difference in item cost between the mail order and local vendor. Couple that with the 8%, and it's a no brainer for me - I buy from mail order. Claiming the tax on my return is no big deal compared to the money I saved.

13. OgenRwot

OgenRwot Politico

Apr 2, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 That place has the best deals around, great customer service and prompt delivery.

14. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    Ditto.

My closest store is a Ritz and it is almost an hour away. The next closest is another Ritz that is about 90 minutes away.

There used to be an AWESOME store an hour away but the owners retired :sad:

15. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Jun 3, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    I have a store 30 minutes away (with no traffic). Then it's 20 minutes inside IF someone finally decides they can be bothered to talk to you. Forget touching anything. You are always an idiot who needs to be patronized. Prices are not that good. Return policies are much worse than good online stores.

There are also a couple of more decent stores much farther away. They prices would give you a heart attack.

Same here. That was many years ago.

16. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    The store that closed was awesome. My father bought a Nikon 2020 and some lenses when I was about six or seven. Might be a tad older... When he was comparing models, there were salesmen giving me cameras and film and letting me "play" in the store. On the last trip we made there, they gave me prints of the crap I had shot. Man...if they were open now.... :)

17. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

May 7, 2000
    Carlisle, PA