close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best personal defense ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by xdx2, Jun 3, 2010.

1. xdx2

xdx2
    Expand Collapse

I'm fairly new to the Glock and have only put 400 rds. total through my 26 and 19. Now I know someone wants to tell me just to goggle this question but, I feel this is what these forums are for to talk among friends with similar interests so. I would like to use my 9mm for PD, I know many will say well you should of picked a different caliber to start with but this is what I have and I plan to depend on it to God forbid save my life. I know 115gr. gives better penetration due to velocity and 124gr. and 147gr. makes bigger holes, but I like to know from you folks who have had to use your weapon to protect you and your family from harm, what is your experience and therefore the best overall round to carry if I should ever need to use my weapon. Thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. degoodman

degoodman
    Expand Collapse
    Out of Columbus

Choose a current manufacture defensive ammunition offering from a major manufacturer that you can actually obtain, locally as well as from the internet if possible, at a reasonable price. Once you have made your selection, plan on shooting 100 - 200 rounds of it to verify that it functions in your firearm, shoots to your point of aim, has recoil, muzzle blast and muzzle flash that you can tolerate, etc. If it passes those tests, you're done from an ammunition perspective.

Spend the rest of your time and money on training ammo and classes when you can get to them. The best defensive ammo in the world won't do you a bit of good if you can't place them on target in a crisis.

You are a bit reversed on what each weight gives you. Heavier bullets for caliber, all other things being equal, tend to have a reputation for better penetration. Lighter bullets run at higher velocities, usually leading to more robust expansion, but shallower wounds. In truth however, most of the current defensive ammunition offerings are engineered at each bullet weight to give very similar levels of performance in the FBI/DOJ ammunition testing protocols. That means regardless of your ammunition selection, you're going to expect to get 1.5x - 2x expansion over original caliber, with 12" - 16" of penetration through bare ballistic gelatin, and through a variety of intermediate barriers into ballistic gelatin. There isn't anything out there that is a radical departure from this one way or the other.

So pick something off this list that you can actually get, and get in sufficient quantity to practice with it a little bit.

Federal HST, Tactical Bonded, Some Classic and Hydrashok loads (The 9BPLE load is an old design hollowpoint that has a LONG and outstanding reputation as a fight ender)
    Speer Gold Dot
    Hornady TAP, Critical Defense, XTP
    Winchester Ranger Series, SXT, PDX1
    Remington Golden Sabre, Bonded Golden Sabre
    Corbon DPX or other ammunition using the Barnes XPB bullet

I personally carry Gold Dots, but that's more because a close friend is an ammunition distributor, and I can get that ammo at his cost plus the excise tax than because its the best wonder ammo out there.

Angry Fist likes this.
  3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Just Google it. :whistling:

But really, Gold Dot 124+P or HST 147 are my two faves. Gold Dots have a lot of street cred at this point.

124+P is 410 ft lbs of muzzle energy in a lightly recoiling package. Win-win situation.

#3 cowboy1964, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    Angry Fist likes this.
  4. RMD

RMD
    Expand Collapse

My G26 is loaded with +P 124 (Short Barrel) Gold Dots right now and my G19 is just has the plain ol' 124 Gold Dots. I'm on the look out for some +P non-Short Barrels for the latter.

Angry Fist likes this.
  5. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I CCW a G17 loaded with CorBon 115gr JHP +p 9mmP cartridges. I have chronographed this load at 1400 FPS. I highly recommend this load.

6. JBP55

JBP55
    Expand Collapse

My Defensive 9mm ammunition is 124gr+P or 147gr. Gold Dot or HST.

7. Kentguy

Kentguy
    Expand Collapse

The 9mm is a great caliber to use for personal and well as home defense. It is readily available, relatively inexpensive, very good ballistics, easy to find components if you wish to reload your own.
    As for your second question... when I had to draw my weapon, I used to carry a revolver, later on in the mid/late 80"s (not sure) I picked up a G19 and carried that until early 2010 when I purchased a G26 for CCW.

The G26 is much faster to bring into service than any other gun I have ever carried. and with an extended mag, that gives you 12 +1 - more than enough to stop most any threat that should come your way on the streets.

I use Hornady "Custom" 124g XTP HP and my every day carry ammo.

Although (Thank God) I have never had to fire my weapon, I have had to draw it twice to stop a threat at the time. Lets hope you never have to do that.

Good luck and be safe out there

OldArcher likes this.
  8. timmay

timmay
    Expand Collapse

Well......The OP posted his question more than 5 years ago. Hopefully he figured it out by now.

Angry Fist and SmithietheFox like this.
  9. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

In highly recommend the CorBon 9mm 115gr JHP +p loads for 9mm SD. I get 1400 FPS out of my G17.

10. OldArcher

OldArcher
    Expand Collapse
    Gospel Carrier

Can't speak for others. Hornady has been my primary ammo for years. Never fails. Since Critical Defense and Critical Duty came out, that's all I buy, or use...

.45acp, 220gr +P Critical Duty for my three G21's.
    .45acp, 185gr +P Critical Defense for my two G30's.
    9mm Luger, 135gr +P Critical Duty for my G34 Gen 4

Low muzzle flash, superb shot-to-shot performance, lower moment of impulse in recoil.
    Combination of best weapons/ammo, plus experience, gives something that really is tangible- confidence.

DVICTOR likes this.
  11. jdavionic

jdavionic
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

Best defense ammo is a personal preference and sometimes dependent on your gun (i.e., what cycles reliably). For me, I like Hornady CD.

12. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32
    Expand Collapse

I like gold dot and hornady critical defense personally
    Short barrel 124gr + p for my short barreled 9mm CCW weapons

13. barth

barth
    Expand Collapse
    six barrels

I like Federal HST or Speer GDHP (124 gr +P or 147 gr +P).
    Which ever groups better from my weapon.
    [​IMG]

14. JimBianchi

JimBianchi
    Expand Collapse
    Da Da
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

For my daily carry I use a G26 loaded with HST 124grn.

I was carrying 147grn, but ran out.

Both are excellent and offer premium penetration and expansion.