close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best non-iPod MP3 player for under $200

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by W Turner, May 22, 2007.

1. W Turner

W Turner
    Expand Collapse

Just like the title says, I am looking for the best MP3 player that isn't an iPod for under $200.

The only reason I specified non-iPods is because while I am considering one, I didn't want a bunch of "Just get a XXgig iPod and be done with it" posts.

I am REALLY interested in the Samsung Helix that acts as a portable XM receiver in addition to storing mp3's, but I am waiting to see if/how badly they neuter Opie and Anthony before I drop that kind of coin.

So, please suggest an mp3 player for me. I am comfortable working with mainstream programs, but less comfortable in getting into some of the more involved stuff.

Thanks in advance,
    Bull

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. nickg

nickg
    Expand Collapse

usually getting something less than $200 will definitely have smaller drive capacity and you'll be PO'd when you start running out of room for all your tunes.

if you go to newegg.com you can get a Creative Zen Vision M 60GB player for $264, but you get a $30 rebate putting it at $234. but you have to order before may 29 for the rebate. the large capacity is definitely worth the extra $35.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855102015

i just ordered one the other night to replace my Toshiba Gigabeat 10GB player and should probably be here by tomorrow.

[​IMG]

3. Deanster

Deanster
    Expand Collapse
    Cheese?
    Millennium Member CLM

Just get a refurbed iPod and be done with it.

4. kimigirl

kimigirl
    Expand Collapse

I bought the Rave MP3 player from Computer Geeks for 39.99. It had 256 MB regular memory which holds about 8 hours of music. I just put a 512 MB card in the expansion slot. I have most of the music I own on it which is quite a lot.
    I don't like IPOD's either. They charge way too much for what it is. In the end, you're just paying for the name.

5. glock_19_9mm

glock_19_9mm
    Expand Collapse

I have the Sandisk 256mb... I like it because it has an FM tuner in it.

They make a 4gb for $199 retail.
    http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1949)-SDMX3-4096-Sansa_m260_MP3_Player_4GB.aspx

I like to use the WMA format. I can make the files really small and I cannot tell the difference.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Ditto, but I have the 4gig E200($140 at Wal Mart), which is more than enough for me. I really like it. I had a few problems getting it to work under Linux, but found my answers with a little Googling..

I don't use WMA, and don't use the video feature, but it sounds great with my mp3s. I almost bought a refurbed Ipod Nano, but saw this one and it was kind of a spur of the moment purchase.

IGF

7. Deanster

Deanster
    Expand Collapse
    Cheese?
    Millennium Member CLM

4gig refurb iPod nano (new style with aluminum case) is currently $149 at the Apple store...

Or a 30Gig 5th generation full-size video iPod (current style) for $199...

Oh, but wait, aren't iPod's overpriced?... you can get a full-on iPod for $50 LESS than the el cheapo sandisk offering.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Whats your issue with the sandisk? I'm not saying the IPOD is/isn't better, I really don't know. I'm really happy with my sandisk..

IGF

9. kimigirl

kimigirl
    Expand Collapse

Some people have issues with off brand items. My Mom has a Sandisk and loves it. My little Rave has been a great MP3 player. So long as you like it, thats all that matters.

10. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney
    Expand Collapse
    Just Win Baby

I was kinda an anti-Ipod person myself...until I broke down and got the 30gb Ipod Video and I love it :p Actually just picked up a 2gb Nano for my son. I love em both :)

Friend of mine has one of the Creative Zens and hasn't had a problem though. Just depends on what ya want ;)

11. Deanster

Deanster
    Expand Collapse
    Cheese?
    Millennium Member CLM

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest there was something wrong with the SanDisk product - it's actually a very solid product, and everyone I know who has one likes it quite well.

I should have put 'el cheapo' product in quotes - Sandisk has historically promoted its products at price points that made them an excellent 'value choice'.

I was attempting (poorly) to note the irony of the 'value' product being $50 more expensive than the 'premium' product of similar specs.

Costco offers several of the Sandisk line - I've got CF, SD and USB drive of theirs, and they seem to have a good handle on making solid products. I wouldn't describe them as 'off-brand'...