Best Melee weapons to stockpile?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Landmonster, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

The one you have in your hand when you need it is best.

There is no perfect answer to your question. If you are worried about confiscations, pick things that aren't normally seen as weapons. Garden and farming tools have been used for centuries as weapons.

2. Inside vs. outside?

Grabbling or standing up?

Remember also that just because YOU don't have a gun, others may...

Clubs ( oak table legs, baseball bats, staffs) work well. A 18 oz hammer would be a very formitable weapon. Close quaters I'd go for something like a hammer or a large kbar style knife. Or an aluminum baseball bat, or even a childs version. You can get aluminum baseball bats for under $5 at garage sales and salvation Army stores. Or maybe a lightweight survival ax.

http://www.americanknifeandsword.co...-yellow.html?gclid=CNelxpb867MCFaN_Qgod01sAhg

Outside, it would be a light strong fast sword like a katana. Perhaps a spear.

And perhaps a bow or crossbow for range.

I can see almost ZERO circumstances where you'd pick a non-firing weapon over a gun. Perhaps just for 'silence,' but now we are venturing down a tinfoil hat rabbit hole.

#63 leadcounsel, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  3. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't stock, let alone stockpile, any melee weapons.

I've always been partial to the spear, due to the reach...and my interest in ancient Greece obviously involves spears as a central weapon.

A quick access knife should be on you whenever possible, regardless of anything else. I keep an Emerson LaGriffe on my neck.

#64 Warp, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  4. The whole time while reading this thread I had been thinking Lochaber Axe. Wear the kilt sans briefs for extra shock value.

5. Raked

6. :rofl:

Best quote ever. I think this is going in my sig line. Thank you Bren for helping me remember that common sense is still the most crucial principle of patrolling.

7. mac66

mac66 Huge Member
    Millennium Member

The OP was talking about melee weapons. A bow/cross bow isn't a melee weapon. It is probably not the best weapon for hand to hand fighting

I carry a machete in my truck and on my ATVs and when walking/riding around on my hunting property. It is the single most useful tool when out in the woods IMO. I've dug holes, cut down trees, built shelters, chopped fire wood, carved up animals for the stew pot with mine. It can be a formidable weapon as well.

On the other hand if you had a machete you could make a bow, spear, spikes, snares, traps to hunt with.

Point is, if given a choice between a bow and a machete for surviving in the woods, I'd pick the machete.

8. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

A home gym.

How many of you survivalists can run an 11 minute mile?

9. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Half a dozen armed police? :rofl:

Police are pretty shoddy at any kind of combat. Soldiers are one thing. As are SWAT teams. But Barney Fife would be little more than cannon fodder.

10. Just FYI - this is a Survival and Preparedness forum.

There are very few if any "Survivalists" here.

Most of us are just grown up Boy Scouts that have an interest in the skills and mindset of our ancestors.

11. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

It depends on what is chasing me.:shocked:

Run Forest run

#72 RWBlue, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  12. I've been trying to explain that to my wife...but she is more ok with me getting more ammo and firearms than a spear..

I really want one of these [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Assegai-Secure-Ex-Sheath/dp/B004YWJWXQ/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1354229529&sr=8-38&keywords=cold+steel"]Amazon.com: Cold Steel Assegai Long Shaft with Secure-Ex Sheath: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418N1zrB9YL.@@AMEPARAM@@418N1zrB9YL[/ame]
    and
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Spear-Handle-95BOA/dp/B0017XGC06/ref=pd_sbs_sg_8"]Amazon.com: Cold Steel Boar Spear, Ash Wood Handle 95BOA: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21g1c308%2BHL.@@AMEPARAM@@21g1c308%2BHL[/ame]
    but then storage is a problem

#73 Taphius, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  13. My "melee weapon" is a ESEE 5 or a 12" sog bowie, or and number of folders I carry everyday.

#74 Mr.Pliskin, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  14. mac66

mac66 Huge Member
    Millennium Member

I'm thinking a 4 ton SUV would make a pretty good melee weapon.:whistling:

15. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

16. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

You must have played more D&D than I did.

17. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Which SUV weighs 8,000 pounds??

#78 Warp, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  18. I think a PT routine should be apart of everyone's preps. Not saying everyone should be able to run a mile in under 11 as everyone different but atleast something 3 times a week. The stress that any kind of event where your going to need your preps is going to be greatly increased in an unhealthy body. If you have people relying on you in that kind of event you owe it to them to be in shape (which is relative) and healthy.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a great program fir anyone who has access to Olympic weights or a gym, and is free for the download. I usually couple this with a brisk ruck walk with the kids in the bike trailer/stroller or a few sprints with a weighted vest.

19. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What will a gym do for your ability to run?