Best Melee weapons to stockpile?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Landmonster, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Hard to beat a fixed blade knife, such as the KaBar Glock Field Knife or a Cold Steel. I also like my Louisville slugger wooden bat I've had since I was a kid.

I recently found some metal probes with a stainless end, and I sharpened the end on one of them and found it to be sharp and penetrates easy, only about 3/8 inch diameter.

if I had to go buy something toady for the money, a wooden pick handle would be hard to beat with my Glock Field knife on my belt as backup.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. One could learn something from MS13 and the skinnies in Africa. The machete is one of THE most effective and feared weapons for close-in work when a gun is not practical or available.

3. Duh! He would drive his enemies before him, crush them beneath his feet, and hear the lamentations of their vimmen.
  4. BR549

BR549 Thread Killer

Then we somewhat agree.

Even with a bow, there is no reason not to have a knife/machete/tomahawk/sword/other at hand also.

I have killed many, many animals with a large variety of items other than guns and bows...

...intentionally as in hunting and then out of necessity because that is all I had at the moment...

...including some that were easy, some that were difficult and frightening, and some that happened by mere "luck" if you will...

...including feral cats, feral dogs, racoon, opossum, armadillo, beaver, wild hogs, deer, snakes, squirrel, rabbit, fish, and miscellaneous birds...

While I can agree wholeheartedly regarding the use of a bow to wound or kill (eventually) something at a distance... experience indicates that a bow is not to be relied upon "to keep the distance from my attacker"...

Therein lies my disagreement with your earlier post and the reason for my subsequent post.

5. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

hahahaha! :supergrin: I was thinking something very similar but you said it better.
  6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

After I posted that, I actually googled "melee weapons" on the off chance I was wrong and maybe the British used the term or something. Result #1 was Wikipedia:
    So for melee weapons to stockpile, I'm going with Bastard Sword...with magical enchantment.
    #46 Bren, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  7. Have we totally forgotten what we learned during the zombie discussions in years past?? Crowbar. It wont break like a bat, they are cheap, powerful and a multitasker. :alien:
  8. Small shovel can be a very deadly weapon

[ame=""]Cold Steel Spetsnaz Shovel in use - YouTube[/ame]
  9. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

If all you had was a shovel.. would you really throw it? I mean come on. I think it would be better served in the hand.

Unless you have half a dozen knives or shovels or tomahawks, axes.... who is going to throw it?
  10. SpetsNaz is trained to use it as a shovel, axe, and throwing weapon.
    Plus if you get pulled over with machete and an axe you may have some xplaing to do. Who will bother you if you just have a shovel?

#50 Kozel, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  11. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Number 2 is never ever going to happen..At least mine anyway.:whistling:
  12. The Spetsnaz do pretty well with an entrenching tool.
  13. Haldor

Haldor Retired EE

A Cold Steel Bushman make a decent camp knife and you can easily turn it into a spear (assuming there are trees where you live). I have one I vacuum sealed (seal-a-meal) that is part of my emergency kit in the trunk of my car. Cheap and effective.

[ame=""] Cold Steel Bushman Black SK-5 Steel Cordura Survival Sheath: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@[/ame]

For hunting/self defense with a hand held weapon it is hard to beat a short spear. A bow is even better, but that takes skill and is not a "melee" weapon.
    #53 Haldor, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  14. Haldor

Haldor Retired EE

Be sure to get a flaming sword so you can start your camp fire with it. Or would a frost weapon be better for keeping meat from spoiling? Decisions, decisions.

D&D would be so handy for a survivalist. Got a sucking chest wound, no Doctor around? Don't worry, just drink a potion.

It is funny how overpowered most video games make a guy with a knife.
    #54 Haldor, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If the government decides to take your guns, they will take your guns - "cold dead fingers" comes to mind. However, in the case of 99.9999% of the people saying things like this, as soon as half a dozen armed police show up, they'd be taking them to the guns and helping to load them in the truck. Directly resisting when they show up at your house can only end with you dead or in prison. "Live to fight another day" is a more realistic philosophy when there is no way to win.
  16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I was just thinking,. last time I watched walking dead, that a spear is the perfect zombie weapon - quiet, has some reach and never runs out of ammo.
  17. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

LOL at this thread. My vote for funniest in awhile.

If you've ever seen a greenhorn puke his guts out at the sight of a deer being gutted, you can imagine how well he would do in a bloody edged weapon fight.

Side note guys: a baseball bat is an awful weapon. It's heavy, slow, unbalanced, and requires a swinging motion that leaves you very exposed. Save the baseball bats for baseball. And katanas? Lmao.

As for my preferred "melee" weapon: I'm thinking a big halberd like the Swiss guards use. That with some tights and a funny hat and I'll be the coolest at the mall dress up survival party.

See y'all at the melee.
  18. Easy choice Light Sabre!!!!!
  19. Now that would be cool. Except if the damn thing turned on while jammed in your waist band.........
  20. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"