close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Best Melee weapons to stockpile?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Landmonster, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Melee weapons? Do you get a lot of your survival knowledge from Dungeons & Dragons? Nobody else really uses the term "meleee weapons" unless it is leaking into mall ninja land from the large population of D&D playing mall ninjas.

2. Akita

Akita gone

Jul 22, 2002
    In the spirit of answering the OP's question, I'd say that if I cant have a firearm, then I want something that gives me distance over an attacker. Longest sword I can handle, I guess. And still remembering that 2 is one....etc/etc/etc....

Realistically, I'd set about duplicating firearms/ammo and caching them to alleviate your concerns, but not everyone's situation is the same.

3. red442joe

red442joe

Mar 17, 2004
    ypsilanti, MI
    "18" Tramontina would be my pick!"

Frying pan? I googled it. My google-fu is weak.

Guessing it is like a woodsmans pal.

Joe

4. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

Nov 29, 2010
    DFW
    A quality wakizashi sword would be perfect. The katana is too long for indoors close quarters use.

5. dukeblue91

dukeblue91

Sep 6, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
  6. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Jul 11, 2003
    Republic of Texas
    A machete is a useful tool, good for many applications. Having a few can't hurt.

Melee weapon? A great concept until someone pops a cap in your @$$. Even if you are highly skilled (or think you are) up close and personal / hand2hand is a losing situation after a few goes at it. If things reach that point, a good book on Escape & Evade tactics may prove more useful.

Machete manufacturer in Brazil.

7. Commander_Zero

Commander_Zero

Sep 3, 2007
    MT
    In the 'big edged weapon' category, a good gladius copy. The guys at ZombieTools make some nice stuff. For blunt-impact, I loves me some PR-24 action.

8. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Utah
    Beat me to it.

If I had to have a sword it would be a Cold Steel 1917 pattern USN cutlass. Strapped to my backpack.

BTW I hope everyone learned their tactics from D&D and video games. It will make my life easier.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  9. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

This.

I think there are a few melee weapons that fit into the modern hoplophile's arsenal, the short blade, the short stick, and flexible improvised weapons like the bandana.

As much as I love the long blade and pole weapons, how would I carry one around? A full-sized spear won't even fit in my car.

For dedicated melee weapons, I say the same thing I say about firearms: What kind of training have you had? For purely defensive blades, I like a thick, full tang and a blade with a thin edge and a thickish spine. Unfortunately, purely martial blades are hard to find. Camp knives make crap fighting knives and fighting knives make crap camp knives.

The best easily concealable purely martial knives I have ever seen are Rick Frigault's customs. For a larger blade, it's hard (impossible?) to beat a real fighting Bowie. Think along the lines of a Bagwell.

Most folks don't train enough to get the most good out of a dedicated martial fixed blade, and would do better with one of Mike Janich's Spyderco folders.

10. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    A 'hawk or 'smatchet' type knife would be pretty ideal IMO.

11. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack! He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

This being said, I would prefer a bow, crossbow or anything that I can use to keep the distance from my attacker.

12. BR549

BR549 Thread Killer

Jan 18, 2008
    As much as I love shooting bows for fun, competition, and hunting...

...using a bow as a defensive weapon against a single attacker is not a good option, much less so for multiple attackers...

...circumstances could possibly make it work...

...but the possibility of those circumstances working out where the bow becomes a 'good' choice is so slim that I would never consider it...

Get your bow (or crossbow), and see how fast you can take three shots at a non-moving target.

Then consider the ramifications of the target attacking you prior to or just after the first shot. :shocked:

13. While I believe in training, choosing, and practice so none of your possible events happen to me, I will state that I have a "woodsmans pal" strapped to the outside of my pack, and I know I wouldn't want to be smacked with the damn thing.

I wouldn't for a minute "stockpile" "melee weapons".. Carry a good EDC knife, keep whatever tools you think you might need handy, and know how to use them and ALWAYS remember:

To a pessimist, the glass is half empty,
    To an optimist, the glass is half full,
    And to the survivalist, the glass makes a fair weapon if needed.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  14. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    I don't have 'pre-purchased melee weapon plans', as I figure anything that deprives me of a pre-purchased better weapon could probably just as easily deprive me of any pre-purchased melee weapon as well.

That said, a two-foot section of 2/0 to 4/0 SE cable with with either tape or plasti-dip on on end for a handle could be a terrible thing. My dad carried a short section of cable like that behind the seat of his pickup when driving to & from work. We lived on a farm, but he drove ~60 miles to a detroit steel mill for quite a few years as well in the late 60's & 70's. He wouldn't keep a gun in the truck, but that short section of probably 1/2" diameter cable was a fearsome thing the one time I saw him use on a misbehaving steer.

15. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    There is a reason the pope made the crossbow illegal to use in war.

I am not suggesting the bow/crossbow vs. glock. I am suggesting bow when the other option is a machete/sword.

Even if I only get off one aimed shot before I have to drop the bow and go hand to hand, I am still better off than the person with no distance weapon.

I will try shooting three moving targets.

Tell me how much luck have you had hunting with a machete or sword?

16. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

Aug 18, 2010
    TX
    Host a TV show?

17. b_oglethorpe

b_oglethorpe

Nov 14, 2011
    Albuquerque
    I could use almost anything in my house as a melee weapon. You guys could really get creative.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine