Best Melee weapons to stockpile?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Landmonster, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Melee weapons? Do you get a lot of your survival knowledge from Dungeons & Dragons? Nobody else really uses the term "meleee weapons" unless it is leaking into mall ninja land from the large population of D&D playing mall ninjas.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. machete

3. Akita

Akita gone

In the spirit of answering the OP's question, I'd say that if I cant have a firearm, then I want something that gives me distance over an attacker. Longest sword I can handle, I guess. And still remembering that 2 is one....etc/etc/etc....

Realistically, I'd set about duplicating firearms/ammo and caching them to alleviate your concerns, but not everyone's situation is the same.

4. "18" Tramontina would be my pick!"

Frying pan? I googled it. My google-fu is weak.

Guessing it is like a woodsmans pal.

Joe

5. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

A quality wakizashi sword would be perfect. The katana is too long for indoors close quarters use.

6. I too vote for a machete vs any other knife.

7. A machete is a useful tool, good for many applications. Having a few can't hurt.

Melee weapon? A great concept until someone pops a cap in your @$$. Even if you are highly skilled (or think you are) up close and personal / hand2hand is a losing situation after a few goes at it. If things reach that point, a good book on Escape & Evade tactics may prove more useful.

Machete manufacturer in Brazil.

8. In the 'big edged weapon' category, a good gladius copy. The guys at ZombieTools make some nice stuff. For blunt-impact, I loves me some PR-24 action.

9. Beat me to it.

If I had to have a sword it would be a Cold Steel 1917 pattern USN cutlass. Strapped to my backpack.

BTW I hope everyone learned their tactics from D&D and video games. It will make my life easier.

#29 Batesmotel, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  10. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

This.

I think there are a few melee weapons that fit into the modern hoplophile's arsenal, the short blade, the short stick, and flexible improvised weapons like the bandana.

As much as I love the long blade and pole weapons, how would I carry one around? A full-sized spear won't even fit in my car.

For dedicated melee weapons, I say the same thing I say about firearms: What kind of training have you had? For purely defensive blades, I like a thick, full tang and a blade with a thin edge and a thickish spine. Unfortunately, purely martial blades are hard to find. Camp knives make crap fighting knives and fighting knives make crap camp knives.

The best easily concealable purely martial knives I have ever seen are Rick Frigault's customs. For a larger blade, it's hard (impossible?) to beat a real fighting Bowie. Think along the lines of a Bagwell.

Most folks don't train enough to get the most good out of a dedicated martial fixed blade, and would do better with one of Mike Janich's Spyderco folders.

11. Berto

Berto woo woo

A 'hawk or 'smatchet' type knife would be pretty ideal IMO.

12. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack! He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

This being said, I would prefer a bow, crossbow or anything that I can use to keep the distance from my attacker.

13. BR549

BR549 Thread Killer

As much as I love shooting bows for fun, competition, and hunting...

...using a bow as a defensive weapon against a single attacker is not a good option, much less so for multiple attackers...

...circumstances could possibly make it work...

...but the possibility of those circumstances working out where the bow becomes a 'good' choice is so slim that I would never consider it...

Get your bow (or crossbow), and see how fast you can take three shots at a non-moving target.

Then consider the ramifications of the target attacking you prior to or just after the first shot. :shocked:

14. Ka-Bar Kukri. $44.99 on Amazon. Highly rated.

15. While I believe in training, choosing, and practice so none of your possible events happen to me, I will state that I have a "woodsmans pal" strapped to the outside of my pack, and I know I wouldn't want to be smacked with the damn thing.

I wouldn't for a minute "stockpile" "melee weapons".. Carry a good EDC knife, keep whatever tools you think you might need handy, and know how to use them and ALWAYS remember:

To a pessimist, the glass is half empty,
    To an optimist, the glass is half full,
    And to the survivalist, the glass makes a fair weapon if needed.

#35 SFCSMITH(RET), Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  16. quake

Millennium Member

I don't have 'pre-purchased melee weapon plans', as I figure anything that deprives me of a pre-purchased better weapon could probably just as easily deprive me of any pre-purchased melee weapon as well.

That said, a two-foot section of 2/0 to 4/0 SE cable with with either tape or plasti-dip on on end for a handle could be a terrible thing. My dad carried a short section of cable like that behind the seat of his pickup when driving to & from work. We lived on a farm, but he drove ~60 miles to a detroit steel mill for quite a few years as well in the late 60's & 70's. He wouldn't keep a gun in the truck, but that short section of probably 1/2" diameter cable was a fearsome thing the one time I saw him use on a misbehaving steer.

17. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

There is a reason the pope made the crossbow illegal to use in war.

I am not suggesting the bow/crossbow vs. glock. I am suggesting bow when the other option is a machete/sword.

Even if I only get off one aimed shot before I have to drop the bow and go hand to hand, I am still better off than the person with no distance weapon.

I will try shooting three moving targets.

Tell me how much luck have you had hunting with a machete or sword?

18. what would Conan do?

19. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

Host a TV show?

20. I could use almost anything in my house as a melee weapon. You guys could really get creative.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine