close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Best Lenovo Thinkpad?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by G33, Dec 6, 2010.

1. G33

G33 Frisky! Millennium Member CLM

May 29, 1999
    With G29
    T510, SL510, other?
    Need tuff as tank.
    :wavey:

2. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    I have a SL400 and a T410 and the main differences are performance. The T is a little more optimized and uses a Thinkpad BIOS.
    The SL uses the BIOS from the Ideapad. Not a biggie.
    The T series has a titanium lined outer shell and frame for the LCD screen, the SL only has a titanium shell.

I am very happy with my SL and my T but is you really, really want a tank than the T series.

http://outlet.lenovo.com/laptops/thinkpad/t-series.html

I bought both new from the outlet.

3. G33

May 29, 1999
    With G29
  4. Any T series model. I'd get the SSD instead of the HDD, every Thinkpad I've had the hard drive went, no problems with SSD

5. +1

I've used T Series/X Series for probably 8+ years now. All of my T Series had conventional hard drives, and they all eventually needed replacement hard drives after awhile (Partly due to my bad habit of picking the laptop up in a certain place which would pinch the platter). Other than the hard drive issue over time, the T Series have been tanks. I still have like 3-4 T Series which only need a dusting, and can still be used to this day.

I bought a X300 3+ years ago, and while it cost $3000, I still use it today. I haven't replaced anything besides the battery. Besides SSD durability (no spinning parts), the quick read/write times make a HUGE difference. It's because of the SSD that I can use this old 1.2GHz laptop, and still have it keep up with the newer stuff out there. Recently picked up a X200 with SSD and I fully expect that one to last me a long time as well.

You might see that Lenovo does charge a premium for the SSD option though. If you are technically inclined, or know someone know is...I would suggest the option of buying a Thinkpad WITHOUT solid state drive, and purchasing the SSD through a online retailer like newegg.com where you can get a 128GB drive for around $200. Then you can clone the original hard drive over, or do a fresh install on the SSD and download all the drivers and finishing touches from Lenovo's website.

Back to your original question though, I'd take the T Series over SL.

6. G33

May 29, 1999
    With G29
  7. I have two t400s and an Edge, i don't like the edge at all. I would stick with the T series and get a model with a screen size that fits your needs.